Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79067 times)

retropian

Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:42 am »
I'll be rooting for Heath and Annie but I don't think I will watch. I'm too afraid of being disappointed again. I think Heath deserves to win because his was simply the best performance of 2008 hands down.

I'd like to see Sean Penn win for his portrayal of Harvey Milk, and I'd like to see Milk win Best Picture. But that would still seem like a sop to the gay audience. So, poor academy awards, they're damned if they do and damned if they dont with me. I guess I'm still bitter about Crash over BBM.

How about you?

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:51:01 am »
Living In Sweden.....I'll be sleeping like a baby...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:18 am »
Yeah, I will be watching..

I love seeing all the film stars on the red carpet and getting glimpses of them in the audience.

Some of the speeches get on my nerves, but I still sit through them.

And of course I will be waiting for the results of the Best Supporting Actor.

We get them live in the middle of the day here.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »
No, I won't be watching. I will never forgive the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for what they did to Brokeback Mountain (Heath in particular) in 2006. Nor can I ever forget the dreadfully hurtful, homophobic snipes Tony Curtis (an Oscars voter) made about Brokeback Mountain. And I'm terrified that Philip Seymour Hoffman will again take Heath's Oscar away from him. I don't want to put myself through all that angst.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43:15 am »
Oscars? :-\ (yawn) not a chance...
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:52:56 am »
I never was much of an Oscar fan -- I made an exception for BbM.

The experience felt a lot like a shower of pig's blood on a "Carrie" prom night.  It may not be entirely rational, but part of me still believes that "the fix was in."

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:56 pm »
Nope. They lost me in 2006.

I'll be sleeping soundly through it all. I can always see the dresses on the net the next day.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »
And I'm terrified that Philip Seymour Hoffman will again take Heath's Oscar away from him.

Heath should have won in -06, no question about that. Nothing whatsoever even came close to Ennis. The reasons why Heath didn't win, - well, we know'em.  :-\ :-\ :-\

But by the same kind of reasoning, though, that says Heath should obviously have won for Ennis, when considering only the strength of the acting and the character portrayal and not all those extraneous factors that played a part in the actual -06 award: I have to admit that I think PSH should win for his performance in "Doubt". I personally think his role is better, more nuanced, more challenging, deeper and much more interesting than the Joker.

So... much as I'd really really  like Heath to win, I think the fact of it is that if Heath wins, it's because this time it "was his turn" just as the Academy figured PSH was next in line in -06. It's "now or never" and an opportunity for the Academy to feel good about themselves. After all, - they'll be thinking - PSH already has an Oscar and he's still around to win another one some years form now. Never mind that his was actually the better performance this year. (Of course, they might actually disagree with me and think the Joker simply is the best thing ever. After all, it was on the strength of that performance that TDK became the second highest grossing film ever in the US).

Either way, a win for Heath or no this time around, it will leave me with a sort of bitter after-taste. He should have won for Ennis. There's no making that right. That's the long and short of it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »
I will watch them this year, though my expectations have been much lowered by the loss of BBM to Crash.  In other words, I take the Oscars with a grain of salt. I have no favorite for front-runner that I would like to see win Best Picture. I would like to see Kate Winslet finally win an Oscar. Of course, Heath had better get an Oscar. But at this point, with him not being with us, it's like water under the bridge

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »
If I´ll watch?

The jury is still out on that one...

I want to see Heath win but at the same time, a win wouldn´t make me feel much better anyways.
They are simply too late.