Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79086 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:32 pm »
Dunno--I'll probably be too busy cramming for a tour (my life has been one long CRAM...).
Observation: The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is notorious for make-up calls.  Heath may win. Also, they may feel it's "time" for another posthumous award.

If you look at the list of pictures that have won anything significant, beginning with "Wings" and "Sunrise" in 1927, and ending with "No Country for Old Men,"---you'll probably only find about five you'd like to own.

All right....10.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:13 pm »
Have just heard the wonderful news that Heath won a British Academy Award.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »
There is no "science" to the Academy at all.  It's a self-contrived and industry self-serving popularity contest riddled with politics and money.

That said, I think that they will give Heath the Oscar "out of sympathy"  :-\ , and while yes it's a day late and a dollar short, I'm hoping that they will make a big deal out of it and I hope they mention Brokeback Mountain (especially) as part of it.

So, if that happens, I'll look for a Youtube of it later in the evening after the telecast is over.  :D

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »
Have just heard the wonderful news that Heath won a British Academy Award.  :D

It's too bad he won't be around to accept it. :-\
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

The whole topic of the Oscars still stresses me out and makes me angry.  The fun I used to have watching the Oscars, prior to BBM, is thoroughly gone for me now.  I still watch other award shows, but happily try to avoid the Oscars.  This year, curiosity may get the better of me and it's likely that I'll watch the best supporting actor category out of curiosity.  Usually, that category comes up early in the show, I recall.  So if I watch any of it, it will only be that little bit.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
The whole topic of the Oscars still stresses me out and makes me angry.  The fun I used to have watching the Oscars, prior to BBM, is thoroughly gone for me now.  I still watch other award shows, but happily try to avoid the Oscars.  This year, curiosity may get the better of me and it's likely that I'll watch the best supporting actor category out of curiosity.  Usually, that category comes up early in the show, I recall.  So if I watch any of it, it will only be that little bit.

My sentiments exactly.  But I don't think I'll watch.  I'm fairly certain Heath will win it.  I can read after the fact about who accepted it for him and what he or she said.  I rather hope it'll be his Mom and/or Dad, but certainly couldn't blame them if they didn't.  If they do, I'll catch it on youtube.

I do also hope that Mickey Rourke wins, because no other performance this year moved me like his in "The Wrestler" did.  I fell in love with that character, and that's saying a lot considering I don't much like Mickey Rourke and I don't much like professional wrestlers.  I'm sorry, but I'll be pissed off (but not a bit surprised) if Sean Penn wins.  I continue to maintain that he is largely overrated.  The only performances I ever bought him in at all were in "Taps" and "I Am Sam."  Other than those two, I can always see him acting, and that includes "Milk."
No more beans!

Offline dejavu

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
Yes, I plan to watch, and have my "scorecard" from the newspaper ready to check off the winners.

There's still something fun about it, unless I just fall asleep because of the lateness of the night.

Last year, I don't think I watched, because I didn't care for many of the movies.  This year, I'll be rooting for Heath and Anne.  I saw both of their movies, and particularly liked "Rachel Getting Married."  Heath's performance was stellar, but TDK wasn't as much my type of movie. 

Also, I definitely want to see how many Oscars "Milk" gets (if any at all), because that was my favorite movie of the year.  I loved Sean Penn's portrayal of Harvey Milk, but Rourke turned me off just from watching the preview in the theater, so I didn't go see "Wrestler."
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:37 pm »
Just a reminder for all of us "connoisseurs of crap" that "The Razzies" are the night before the Academy Awards!!!

http://www.razzies.com/
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »
Rourke turned me off just from watching the preview in the theater, so I didn't go see "Wrestler."

It'll be a shame if you miss it - it's really a great movie.  So literate - the central character being a good man with a "fatal flaw" and all that.  Good stuff.
No more beans!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
Oscars? :-\ (yawn) not a chance...

I'm with you on that.   I will just watch whatever Netflix sends me.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"