Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79063 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 05:24:17 am »
    Yes I will definitely watch them.  I think that people can change, and if they will do that, then
I can accept the change of heart.  I think that Heath, and Jake have made a great inroad towards
people accepting the gay position.  Milk is a great example of that.  I dont think that there has been
any of the sly innuendos this year like the BBM episoded.  I hope they have grown up since that time.
I am going to give them another chance.  If they mess it up again however, I will never watch again...
Done and done done...........

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »
I'll probably forget to watch them, and then watch the parts that interest me on YouTube afterward.

BTW, y'all, though I do think Heath clearly deserved the Oscar for BBM, he himself was quoted as saying he's glad he didn't win it, and I believe he meant it.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »
Quote from: Ellemeno
... though I do think Heath clearly deserved the Oscar for BBM, he himself was quoted as saying he's glad he didn't win it, and I believe he meant it.

Did he say why?
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 03:03:42 pm »
Did he say why?

I can''t remember the verbatim, I'll see if I can find it.  I wonder if any of the Heath-quoters here can remember.  It was about the negative aspects of it.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:26 pm »
I will watch.  I love watching all the famous faces, what they're wearing, what they're saying, watching them win.  I also hope "Milk" gets a load of awards.  I thought it was a great movie, and although I've never been crazy about Sean Penn, I thought he was brilliant in this  movie and deserves the best actor award.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:13 pm »
I'm rooting for Mickey Rourke, though I thought Sean Penn was good, too. For that matter, I also thought Frank Langella was good.

I'll watch. I've enjoyed the show all my life, and I'm not going to let the academy's stupid decision in 2006 ruin it for me. I don't think it matters who wins -- outside of 2006, I can never remember even what movies won BP -- but the show itself entertains me. When it doesn't bore me to death, that is.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:09 am »
I've been invited to a party, which I will likely attend for a little while, but it's really hard to care.  Oscars never meant much to me, and even less so after BBM got the shaft.

I think Milk is the best of the bunch this year, although Mickey Rourke did a great job as well.  If I had any doubts about how political the Oscars are, watching The Reader reminded me.  One part serious Brit drama, one part inappropriate love story, one part Holocaust = Oscar contender, apparently.

Did anyone see the episode of Extras where Kate Winslet is saying that all she needs for an Oscar is a Holocaust film?   Classic.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

retropian

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:42 am »
AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I'm having a weak moment. I'm thinking I might watch after all. I like Hugh Jackman and would like to see how he handles hosting duties. He's a song and dance man and might have a realyy good opening. Fudge, I'm torn, what to do  ???

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:49 am »
Come on retropian - is there anyone who can actually resist the charms of Hugh Jackman - recently voted the Sexiest Man Alive?  I know I'll be watching!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:46 am »
I´ll be watching. I hadn´t planned to, but I now have a "msn date" with a friend and we´re gonna watch it together and go the whole nine yards and comment on everyone´s outfits etc. I have even bought coke and popcorn!