Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79083 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:55 pm »

I just posted this in Anne, Anne, Anne... but I thought I'd bring this over here too... I just watched Barbara Walters' interview with Anne during Barbara's pre-Oscars special, and Anne briefly talks about Heath and Brokeback.  It's very brief.  But, worth checking out.

Maybe YouTubes will become available.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »
Ok, I put tin foil on my rabbit ears.  I'm watching...

::)

They better mention Brokeback when it comes to Heath!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »
I think the first one won't work until 8  ???

Didn't try the second one yet.

I'm getting errors on some of them, I think, because I'm using my blackberry as a modem..no cable, so slower speed...

One of those sites when I googled 'oscars live streaming' put my anti-virus software in hyperalert mode, so I don't recommend it.  I'm going to delete that post.  I'll watch highlights on youtube tomorrow.

Sorry, Friends..hope I didn't cause anyone any unnecessary grief.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 09:22:26 pm »
I can''t remember the verbatim, I'll see if I can find it.  I wonder if any of the Heath-quoters here can remember.  It was about the negative aspects of it.

I don't have exact words, but I think it was because of all the publicity it would have brought.  Can't help but wonder if he would have felt the same about the Joker.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:12 pm »
Well, it's nice that Heath won and that his family was there to accept.  It seemed like Kevin Klein really wanted to mention BBM, but he said something like "Heath's many other roles...".    They also panned to Anne Hathaway in the audience during Heath's family's acceptance, which was quite poignant, it looked like she was crying.

I was thinking tonight that, if Jake had won best supporting actor for BBM, he could have been the one to present the Oscar to Heath tonight.  :'(

I was hoping his category would come up first, like sometimes happens with best supporting actor... instead this year it was the best supporting actress.  So, tonight I've spent a long time flipping back and forth between the Oscars and bull riding. 

I don't know how I feel about this.  At the moment I feel kind of numb, but of course, I'm glad he won.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 11:36:42 pm »
Well, it's nice that Heath won and that his family was there to accept.  It seemed like Kevin Klein really wanted to mention BBM, but he said something like "Heath's many other roles...".    They also panned to Anne Hathaway in the audience during Heath's family's acceptance, which was quite poignant, it looked like she was crying.

I was thinking tonight that, if Jake had won best supporting actor for BBM, he could have been the won to present the Oscar to Heath tonight.  :'(

I was hoping his category would come up first, like sometimes happens with best supporting actor... instead this year it was the best supporting actress.  So, tonight I've spent a long time flipping back and forth between the Oscars and bull riding. 

I don't know how I feel about this.  At the moment I feel kind of numb, but of course, I'm glad he won.

I used the word 'depleted.'

I think for me it's something like this: Of course I'm glad he won.  Of course I wanted him to win.  Of course he deserved to win.  But it doesn't make me miss him any less.  It doesn't bring him back.  It doesn't make up for the Brokeback Mountain diss.  And one statue, no matter how special, doesn't sum up how special he was.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:54 pm »
I used the word 'depleted.'

I think for me it's something like this: Of course I'm glad he won.  Of course I wanted him to win.  Of course he deserved to win.  But it doesn't make me miss him any less.  It doesn't bring him back.  It doesn't make up for the Brokeback Mountain diss.  And one statue, no matter how special, doesn't sum up how special he was.

Yes, I completely agree with everything you said here.

I think Heath's portrayal of the Joker was brilliant, and I genuinely liked TDK (I've seen it 3 times and bought the DVD),  but it makes me sad that in the eyes of the general public/ the annals of Oscar history, etc. he'll be remembered maybe more strongly for the Joker than for Ennis.  And, I think it goes without saying that Ennis was his true masterpiece.

This Oscar was truly deserved by Heath... but at the same time, it feels like the Oscars were presenting this as a "legacy" award, which is just so tremendously tragic.

It makes me happy that Anne was there for some strange reason... that feels important to me (along with his family too of course).

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 01:29:40 am »
I wasn't going to watch the Oscars. Only the Red Carpet. My willpower isn't much to write home about, however....  ::)

I must say, though, that I am very happy that I caved. To me it was like watching Oscar turn itself inside-out compared to 2006.

Heath won - IMO that was the Academy 's way of apologizing for their screw-ups in 2006 and their honouring of Heath's full body of work as much as anything. Too little, too late, but better than nothing. (I didn't for a minute buy all the teary eyes though. These folks are actors - and I'm a sceptic. Probably Anne Hathaway's emotions were real, but the rest?  :-\ )

And then -unlike 2006 -  they actually show a gay kiss in one of the movie montages.

And they give the Best Actor Oscar to Sean Penn for acting a gay man who, unlike Ennis, was as out as could be. And Sean Penn, bless his heart, goes up there and really lambasts the Prop 8 supporters and their ilk protesting outside (And the same kind of protesters were around in 2006, but noone critizised them from the stage back then!).

So in a way, I do feel that the Oscars this year did quite a bit to make amends for their 2006 fiasco... intentionally or unintentionally, who knows? It happened anyhow. Brokeback certainly paved the way for these various little steps forward this year. And I'm glad I watched it.

Also, it was a pretty good show, I thought.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:12 am »
I loved Sean Penn's speech.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 02:00:49 am »
Was it de Niro who asked, "How did Sean get away with playing straight men all those years?" A great compliment, and I couldn't help but think what if we could fast-backward to 2006 and it would be Heath sitting there laughing at de Niro's joke.   :'( :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"