Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79062 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 04:22:24 pm »

Too many GD commercials!

without them, there'd be no show...unless the AA plans on getting part of the federal giveaway package.  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:15 pm »
they paid for it.  ;)

My "muting" thumb paid for it! :)

I'd be happy to have less expensive razzle-dazzle and fewer commercials.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 04:29:00 pm »
...a lot less razzle dazzle. Like not even being broadcast in prime time.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »
I did not watch the show, but was very pleased to discover that Heath's family accepted his award, rather than michelle Williams.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »
I did not watch the show, but was very pleased to discover that Heath's family accepted his award, rather than michelle Williams.
did you think she would? She hasn´t accepted any awards on his behalf

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 04:57:33 pm »
Well, what a difference three years makes, especially to the Oscars.

In my opinion Sean Penn winning the best actor award for Milk was also  a tribute to actors like Heath and Jake and moviies like Brokeback Mountain, and an open stand up for the gay community. The introduction by Robert de Niro was fantastic. Not only the part about how did Penn act in so many straight rolls over the years, but about him and other actors who are brave enough to take the risk to take a part off the mainstream.....who would not have thought of Heath too, at that moment and his decision to play Ennis Del Mar.

Sean Penn's speech, I thought was typical of a man who is not afraid to stand up and speak how he feels, and seemed to be off the cuff, and not rehearsed, and it was clear by the applause that he had plenty of suport from the audience.

And of course, the man kiss in the montage of movie clips. Not a fleeting "miss it if you blink" clip, but a full, clear clip. No ooohs and ahhhs and coughs, No moving embarrassingly in the seats, in fact it has hardly got a mention. Finally, finally a "man kiss" is NO BIG DEAL.

On the rest of the show, I thought it was one of the best I have watched. I might be bias but I thought Hugh Jackman did a fantastic performance. The laid back humourous chatter, is just how Hugh seems to be in a lot of his interviews, it did not seem artificial nor too scripted. His singing and dancing were delicious and the back up performers were equally entertaining.

Anne Hathaway was beautiful. She seemed to hang on every word in every speech, like a little girl at her first party. To get up on stage like she did with Hugh was a sign of her sense of good fun and her ability to enjoy all of these special moments.

Of course the presentation of Heath's award was emotional. Once again, the Ledger family showed the dignity that they have become known for. The emotions on the faces in the audience, I felt were genuine. Some may have been thinking of the loss of a great actor, too soon, but I think a lot would have looked at those three people standing up there on the stage as the mother, father and sister who have lost their son and brother, whose grief must be still unbearable, who have been thrust into the limelight of a world that they had never intended to be in. They speak  of how proud they are of Heath, I think that Heath would be more so of his family in the way they have handled all of this.

All in all, I thought the show was entertaining and held the attention of the audience both in the theatre and on TV.  
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »
yes, I did think it possible; there are few boundaries that hollywood celebs or hopeful celebs will not cross for camera time.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:14 pm »
yes, I did think it possible; there are few boundaries that hollywood celebs or hopeful celebs will not cross for camera time.
I doubt it. They weren´t a couple anymore.
Only if Heath´s family had asked her, and then of course it would have been their call.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »

Michelle has shown the same dignity that the rest of the Ledger family have shown throughout all these award ceremonies.

And because of that respect that Heath's family have endowed on everyone in the business, the business has reciprocated with their own respect.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

karen1129

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:29 pm »
Well, so far, Michelle hasn't exhibited that kind of behavior.

She has never spoken publicly about Heath.

I don't think she gives a fig about camera time.