Author Topic: Toilet Seats  (Read 15189 times)

injest

Toilet Seats
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:11 am »
Dear Abby had this question in her column...

when both men and women use a bathroom, should the seat be left up or down?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Toilet Seats
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:34:44 am »
down. Because men don´t always have to sit. Women need to be compensated somehow ;)

injest

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:36:02 am »
I always turn on the light...you never know with three guys... ::)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »
IMO, the toilet lid should be closed when not in use.  This keeps my kitties from using it as a water supply.  A dog-lover agrees with me on this point.

O0

And I like disco music, especially the Grateful Dead's disco version of Shakedown Street.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:20:57 pm »
If it's in a male-only household, I leave it up.  With mixed company, I try to remember to put it down. 

I like disco music, especially Grace Jones's version of "La vie en rose".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pQXZTpg3A[/youtube]

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:21:23 pm »
I always put it up so that I don't pee all over the seat.

TampaTalon^">  :D
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

injest

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

I know some women that need to do that!

>:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

So do I.

And when I've finished my business and flushed, I put the seat back down and close the lid.

I figure there wouldn't be a lid if it wasn't supposed to be closed, so I close it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »
I prefer men sitting down when peeing. I HATE wet peestains on the floor!! Dry even more!!! My husband always try to use an ordinary toilet instead of a mens room because he doesn't want his feet getting wet from pee on the floor!! And yes, we have a happy marriage, we agree onimportant issues...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »
Even a man with the best aim still leaves splatter on the seat and environs when standing to widdle. It may not necessarily be blatantly obvious, but the mist is most definitely there, even if big nasty droplets are not. For this reason, and for the sake of simple, basic hygiene, I believe we should, therefore, follow the cultural example of Muslim men and sit to do wee-wees.

No matter what your gender, the lid should always be closed when flushing for both #1's and #2's. Reason? I've seen footage of a flush in close-up slow-mo, and it is one of the most scary things I've ever seen. You've seen those slow-mo horror pics of a sneeze, with zillions of tiny sneeze droplets projecting out from your nose, all the way to Calcutta? Well, same thing with the toilet flush. Microscopic spray from the bowl sprays up into the room, carrying with it tiny particles of whatever little treasure you just deposited in the bowl. If you don't put the lid down, you breathe in these particles. Put down the lid when flushing!

Oh, and all public urinals, worldwide, should be banned IMHO! They're so sexist. I mean, there aren't any urinals in women's toilets; even though woman are quite capable, anatomically, of using them; so why should men be subjected to such a degrading ritual?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Ewe Kerry gross, but very informative.  I try to remember to shut the lid whenever I flush. 

I think the seat should be down.

Always wash hands whenever you use the bathroom.  I dont know thats what my mom taught me when i was a little kid and I still do it to this day.  And, she said never sit on public toilet seats.   :o

I like those seat covers they have now.  And what about public bathrooms?  They hardly ever have a lid to put down  ???   I think public restrooms have to be the filthiest places on earth.  I was my hands when im done and use a paper towel to open the door when I leave, then throw it out.

Ewe the more I think about it the grosser it seems.

injest

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:57 pm »
a woman can use a urinal?

??? ???

no no!! let it be one of those mysteries, Kerry! really! I dont' need to know!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:59:17 pm »
I voted "I Like Disco Music" because I don't give a damn if the seat is up or down, as long as the flush works.

:laugh:

In my house, the seats are always left down, with the lid down, so our crazy cat Blaze won't jump into them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:16 pm »
Oh, and all public urinals, worldwide, should be banned IMHO! They're so sexist. I mean, there aren't any urinals in women's toilets; even though woman are quite capable, anatomically, of using them; so why should men be subjected to such a degrading ritual?

urinals can be fun!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »

urinals can be odd!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 10:05:13 pm »

Urinals can be.................indescribable!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »

Urinals can be........sacrilegious? ? ? ?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:08:38 pm »

Urinals can be..........ego boosting!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »

Urinals can be.......scary!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:04 pm »

Urinals can be..............helpful? ? ? ?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »

Urinals can be......nightmare inducing!

injest

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
good lort...mens rooms are much more..uh....um....VARIED then women's...the most we have is a little bench to sit on while we wait our turn..

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
Jess, if I ever saw anything like that in any of the men's rooms I've been in, I'd turn and run out!

injest

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:52 pm »
Jess, if I ever saw anything like that in any of the men's rooms I've been in, I'd turn and run out!

specially that guilitine!!  :laugh: :laugh: :o

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:13:56 am »
Cleaning up can be - er - nice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:51:37 am by DavidinIndy »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 12:30:23 am »

Urinals can be......nightmare inducing!

I think that cow needs to see a dentist! :o :laugh:

And he looks angry too!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:01 am »
I think that cow needs to see a dentist! :o :laugh:

And he looks angry too!

COW!! it's a SHARK!

you might want to look again!

;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 01:24:54 am »
Okay. I can see it now. I thought those things up at the top were ears.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:09 am »
When a man pees, he should definately lift the seat and when he's finished he should put it back down and close the lid. 

Flush with the lid closed.

My mother had very strict rules regarding the toilet seat and I've never forgot them.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 01:40:05 am »
Even a man with the best aim still leaves splatter on the seat and environs when standing to widdle. It may not necessarily be blatantly obvious, but the mist is most definitely there, even if big nasty droplets are not. For this reason, and for the sake of simple, basic hygiene, I believe we should, therefore, follow the cultural example of Muslim men and sit to do wee-wees.

If I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I will sit down on the toilet because I don't like to turn the light on. If someone (Cory!) is forgetful and leaves the seat up, I'll fall in. It's happened a few times and it's a rude awakening especially when I'm half asleep. That extra inch of a drop is a big difference when you don't expect it.

Sometimes I wonder though, which is worse? Falling in the toilet because somebody left the seat up, or sitting down on a seat with pee on it?

Hmmm... :-\

injest

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 01:50:35 am »
I hate hovercraft...that is what I call women that won't sit on a public toilet seat so she hovers above and splatters all over the seat. I dont' know why they won't raise the seat up if they are going to do that!

plus I dont see how they keep from getting themselves wet.. ::) ::)

man, I always have the most intellectual threads, don't I?

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 01:53:55 am »
I hate hovercraft...that is what I call women that won't sit on a public toilet seat so she hovers above and splatters all over the seat. I dont' know why they won't raise the seat up if they are going to do that!

plus I dont see how they keep from getting themselves wet.. ::) ::)

man, I always have the most intellectual threads, don't I?

Yup! You asked the question Jess! You started it. :P

Hovercraft! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »
I don't really care if the seat is up or down. 

Yes, I've fallen in before, but I don't make a splash landing, I just get a bit more cold enamel than I bargained for.  I just haul myself back up, do my business and go on my merry way.

Not a battle I think worth the trouble.

However, when no men are in my life, I keep the top down and lid shut because my Kenobi cat likes to play in the toilet, then leave wet puddles all over.  :P

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »

I couldn't agree more!  And then they don't bother to wipe the seat, just leave it for the next person to deal with.  That's one of my major pet peeves!  :P  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 02:54:43 pm »
I couldn't agree more!  And then they don't bother to wipe the seat, just leave it for the next person to deal with.  That's one of my major pet peeves!  :P  >:(

I had no idea women "hovered" like that in the public bathrooms! That's a riot! :laugh:

I don't blame them though. Public bathrooms are disgusting. I avoid them at all costs. I'd much rather just hold it in until I get home. Besides, I have a very shy bladder.

injest

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 07:22:49 pm »
I had no idea women "hovered" like that in the public bathrooms! That's a riot! :laugh:

I don't blame them though. Public bathrooms are disgusting. I avoid them at all costs. I'd much rather just hold it in until I get home. Besides, I have a very shy bladder.

fine! then raise the seat up, is all I ask...it gives you easier access and makes less splatter and you don't mess up the seat for someone that has more sense and less inhibition!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »
I can't remember last time I cried and laughed at the same time so much! This thread has had me in stitches!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As a cystitis sufferer (inflammation of the bladder) I visit the loo lots of times during the day. And as a cystitis sufferer I prefer to sit with the loo seat up.  It is the recommended position  for emptying the bladder properly, for women that is.  While it feels rather cold in winter it is pleasent in summer.  I only do that at home, when I am out I follow different rules depending on where I am, and I am very respectul of others.
I must be the only female who voted "seat up".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:35:04 am by sel »
BbM, I swear

injest

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »
I can't remember last time I cried and laughed at the same time so much! This thread has had me in stitches!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As a cystitis sufferer (inflammation of the bladder) I visit the loo lots of times during the day. And as a cystitis sufferer I prefer to sit with the loo sit up.  It is the recommended position  for emptying the bladder properly, for women that is.  While it feels rather cold in winter it is pleasent in summer.  I only do that at home, when I am out I follow different rules depending on where I am, and I am very respectul of others.
I must be the only female who voted "sit up".

how sweet!! you've revived one of my more intellectual threads!!

injest

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 02:02:49 pm »

No matter what your gender, the lid should always be closed when flushing for both #1's and #2's. Reason? I've seen footage of a flush in close-up slow-mo, and it is one of the most scary things I've ever seen. You've seen those slow-mo horror pics of a sneeze, with zillions of tiny sneeze droplets projecting out from your nose, all the way to Calcutta? Well, same thing with the toilet flush. Microscopic spray from the bowl sprays up into the room, carrying with it tiny particles of whatever little treasure you just deposited in the bowl. If you don't put the lid down, you breathe in these particles. Put down the lid when flushing!

THIS is where I read that....yesterday I was at work and we were out of paper towels in the break room so someone got some from the roll in the toilet...

I was having NO PART of it...I was remembering this about the mist!!

we opened a NEW roll from the supply cabinet!

injest

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 02:05:39 pm »

my sister does too...she used to leave work and drive all the way home if she needed to go.

hated to go on long trips with her, that woman can hold it longer than anyone I know.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 02:15:59 pm »
THIS is where I read that....yesterday I was at work and we were out of paper towels in the break room so someone got some from the roll in the toilet...

I was having NO PART of it...I was remembering this about the mist!!

we opened a NEW roll from the supply cabinet!

Once at work we were told that it has been prooven that  traces of urine can be found in the bowl filled with nuts placed on  counters in bars. People go to the toilet don't wash their hands, or don't do it properly, and then dig their dirty hands into the nut bowl!  I haven't touched nuts/crisps since unless they've come straight from a packet.

BbM, I swear

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 02:24:02 pm »

However, when no men are in my life, I keep the top down and lid shut because my Kenobi cat likes to play in the toilet, then leave wet puddles all over.  :P

Your cat likes to swim in the toilet? ???

My cat will sometimes jump up on the counter next to the sink and watch the water swirl around, but I doubt he'd ever jump in. He doesn't like water at all.

I remember seeing pictures of your kitty, Del. He/she is a very beautiful cat. Very statuesque. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »
Once at work we were told that it has been prooven that  traces of urine can be found in the bowl filled with nuts placed on  counters in bars. People go to the toilet don't wash their hands, or don't do it properly, and then dig their dirty hands into the nut bowl!  I haven't touched nuts/crisps since unless they've come straight from a packet.

OMG!! :P

Isn't that awful? I always worry about touching the door when leaving a public bathroom, but nuts in a bowl never crossed my mind. Ewww. Thanks for telling us about it Sel. Even though it's very disgusting, it's a good thing to know. People really should be more considerate to others.

injest

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 02:35:44 pm »

ewwww!!

and on the news the other day (since we are on the subject of germy stuff) they were saying that the number one nastiest, germiest thing most of us come into contact with is.....

drum roll............

a purse!!

yep! we carry it everywhere (including public toilets), sit it down on floors, cabinets, shelves, desks..

YUCK!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 10:50:14 pm »

That reminds me of a woman I used to work with. She hated double-dipping. Don't know what double-dipping is? Imagine you're at a social function, catered with finger food. You've been enjoying some of the dipping sauces on offer. And then you notice someone dipping a cocktail sausage in the dipping sauce, taking a big sloppy bite of the sausage and then re-dipping the remaining, half-eaten piece of sausage, drool and all, back into the dipping sauce. Yetch! Anyway, this woman I worked with had such a aversion to double-dipping, she was known to yell at an offender, from across a crowded room, "No double-dipping!!!" And I, for one, was glad she did. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2009, 10:58:02 pm »
And then you notice someone dipping a cocktail sausage in the dipping sauce, taking a big sloppy bite of the sausage and then re-dipping the remaining, half-eaten piece of sausage, drool and all, back into the dipping sauce.

Double dipping has been talked about in the U. S. a lot, I believe that there was an episode of Seinfeld that addressed that.

What happens now is (to use your example) someone takes the sausage, dips one end, and eats.  They they turn the sausage around, hold the eaten end in their fingers, dip the clean end into the dip, and then eat the rest of the sausage.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:08 pm »
That reminds me of a woman I used to work with. She hated double-dipping. Don't know what double-dipping is? Imagine you're at a social function, catered with finger food. You've been enjoying some of the dipping sauces on offer. And then you notice someone dipping a cocktail sausage in the dipping sauce, taking a big sloppy bite of the sausage and then re-dipping the remaining, half-eaten piece of sausage, drool and all, back into the dipping sauce. Yetch! Anyway, this woman I worked with had such a aversion to double-dipping, she was known to yell at an offender, from across a crowded room, "No double-dipping!!!" And I, for one, was glad she did. 

Double dipping! LOL

That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when George was caught double dipping his potato chips at a party. haha.