Author Topic: When I say Holland....  (Read 28454 times)

mvansand76

When I say Holland....
« on: July 10, 2006, 07:03:41 am »
Hi all!

I used to work for the Amsterdam Tourist board here in... well.... Amsterdam and got all these funny and somewhat strange comments from tourists about Holland, the stereotypes, the jokes...

Therefore, I would like to ask you...

When I say Holland, you say....

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: When I say Holland....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:08:36 am »
I say it's only ONE part of what should be called the Netherlands!  ;)

I also say... flat country, below sea level (a bit dangerous  ;D), canals, tulips, free people (legal to smoke pot); also, disquieting (to me) acceptance and exhibition of prostitution, and friendly people (I have met a few Dutch).
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 08:24:59 am »

Frau Antje!
;D

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:53:58 am »

Frau Antje!

;D

I say it's only ONE part of what should be called the Netherlands!  ;)

;) Very good...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:57:08 am »
I think of this:

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:58:33 am »
and this:

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:59:48 am »
and these:

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 09:10:39 am »

Camping! :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 09:13:42 am »

Oranje!! :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:24:22 am »
Rudi Carrell!
He was a great showmaster and entertainer and certainly one of the most successful Dutch exports in Germany!
Sadly, he passed away last friday. It was in the news today.  :'(

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:18:12 am by Pipedream »

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 09:40:38 am »
He was a great showmaster and entertainer and certainly one of the most successful dutch exports in Germany!
Sadly, he passed away last friday. It was in the news today.  :'(

:'( You are sooo right... I was very sad to hear this!

Aaaaah...
Clogs
Tulips
Windmills
Camping....

Yessssss  8)

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 09:41:37 am »

I also say... flat country, below sea level (a bit dangerous  ;D), canals, tulips, free people (legal to smoke pot); also, disquieting (to me) acceptance and exhibition of prostitution, and friendly people (I have met a few Dutch).

We ARE friendly people... at least the Dutch on this board...

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:21 am »
I recall hearing that the Dutch are, on average, the world's tallest people.

And I think of a cellist I once knew....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 10:50:04 am »
Hi all!

I used to work for the Amsterdam Tourist board here in... well.... Amsterdam and got all these funny and somewhat strange comments from tourists about Holland, the stereotypes, the jokes...

Therefore, I would like to ask you...

Cheese!  ;D

Edam. Gouda. It's all good!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 11:03:51 am »
I think of this excellent and amusing series of travel stories I read on Slate about Amsterdam. I especially loved the second one, about the concept of gezellig.

http://www.slate.com/id/2124561/entry/2124562/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 11:14:54 am »
Wooden shoes, tulips, windmills, all those stereotypes I get, but. ...

Camping?   ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:49 am »
...I think of all the things the others have said. 
We toured through the Netherlands (and Belgium) with the motorbike ages ago.

Three more things are in my mind, which weren't mentioned before:

- Bicycles: lots and lots of bicycles. A well developed net of bicycle lanes at a time other countries just started thinking about them (late 80ies). And a toddler and his parents we met on a camping ground (where else?). The boy must have learned walking only a short while ago, he still was insecure on his legs - and the parents put him on a bicycle.

- No curtains: Little red brick houses without curtains at the windows. You could look inside almost every house.

- Drugs in Amsterdam: We got offered everything openly on the streets.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 11:20:44 am »

Camping?   ???

Yes, they love to camp. You wouldn't believe how many cars with "NL" license plates we saw hauling trailers in Norway last summer.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 11:23:06 am »
A sad thought

Anne Frank

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 11:28:00 am »

Camping?   ???

Oh yeah! Dutch people just love to camp. We know that so well because they have to cross Germany to get down south for their summer holidays...  ;) Believe me, the German Autobahn is full of Dutch Campers in the summer.
During the FIFA World Cup, of course, thousands of them came with their trailers!  :)

One fan-camp was near Wertheim, not too far from where I live:

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 11:33:44 am »
Buildings that are larger at the top than at the bottom. Windmills, Tulips, Drugs, Theo Van Gogh, Anne Frank and The Flemish.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 11:39:08 am »
Yes, they love to camp. You wouldn't believe how many cars with "NL" license plates we saw hauling trailers in Norway last summer.

Who'da ever thunk it!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 11:42:15 am »
I especially loved the second one, about the concept of gezellig.

http://www.slate.com/id/2124561/entry/2124562/

Oh yes, I am a translator and I am NEVER able to adequately translate that word into English...

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 11:44:33 am »

Yes we do, but not with tents, we prefer caravans (trailers).... :D

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 11:46:07 am »
Oh yeah! Dutch people just love to camp. We know that so well because they have to cross Germany to get down south for their summer holidays...  ;) Believe me, the German Autobahn is full of Dutch Campers in the summer.
During the FIFA World Cup, of course, thousands of them came with their trailers!  :)

One fan-camp was near Wertheim, not too far from where I live:

I LOVE your pictures, that's sooooo Holland!

moremojo

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 11:48:05 am »
I think of...

Frans Zwartjes; religious tolerance; open-mindedness and acceptance of sexuality, nudity, drugs, and prostitution; tulips; wooden shoes; Vincent Van Gogh; Rembrandt; Vermeer; Mondrian; Multatuli; M.C. Escher; windmills; canals; dikes; royal family (including one of my favorite royal personages, Queen Emma); community of Sephardic Jews (including Spinoza); community of Ashkenazi Jews (including Anne Frank); Rotterdam Film Festival; land reclamation...and last but not least, all the wonderful Dutch folk gracing our forums here!

:)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:18:06 pm by moremojo »

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 12:10:26 pm »
I think of...

Frans Zwartjes; religious tolerance; open-mindedness and acceptance of sexuality, nudity, drugs, and prostitution; tulips; wooden shoes; Vincent Van Gogh; Rembrandt; Vermeer; Mondrian; Multatuli; M.C. Escher; windmills; canals; dikes; royal family (including one of my favorite royal personages, Queen Emma); community of Sephardic Jews (including Spinoza); community of Ashkenazi Jews (including Anne Frank); Rotterdam Film Festival; land reclamation...and last but not least, all the wonderful Dutch folk gracing our forums here!

Scott M.

Aaaw... thanks moremojo, that's really sweet. You know a lot about Holland, I am really impressed!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:11 pm »

One more famous Holland-export: Tomatoes!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 05:37:53 pm »
Regarding gezellig:

Oh yes, I am a translator and I am NEVER able to adequately translate that word into English...

Maybe because the quality itself is not present. Well, not in America, anyway. Or if so, we don't notice. In any case, I'm not sure I fully understand it from the story, and I can see how it would be hard to translate, but it sounds really charming.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 07:00:26 pm »
What a wonderful idea for a thread Melissa! Thank you!

Nederland. The Netherlands. Holland. What do I think of when I hear that word? Hmmm....

Well, let's begin with the obvious -

Gay people probably think about TOLERANCE.

Children (at least American children) often think about Hans Brinker.

To many others, Holland means a land of windmills, wooden shoes, canals, flowers, chocolate, and puffy white clouds against a soft blue sky.

Others first think about the drugs. :(

I think about all these things too I suppose. But the Netherlands is much more personal than that to me. The first thing that comes to mind is my Grandfather. Grandpa taught me nearly everything I know of the Netherlands. He taught me to speak Dutch, and my sister and I spoke it fluently by the age of four. Grandpa always insisted we speak Dutch when he was visiting (which was often). If I spoke in English to him he would say something like "ik spreek geen engels en ik begrijp het niet". This was grandpa's little way of reminding us to speak in Dutch! After grandpa died, we stopped speaking Dutch. I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps it due to grief at first. Now I have forgotten much of the language. In high school I met an exchange student from Rotterdam. His name was Ron and we became good friends. My Dutch was "resurrected" that year and I enjoyed speaking in Dutch with him. He was a really nice guy. He quickly taught me some of the Dutch words, phrases and slang young people were currently using in Holland. Ron "updated" my Dutch I guess you could say.

Grandpa taught me about the Dutch customs. He taught me to think like a Dutchman as well as an American. He taught me to see the world through a second set of eyes; through Dutch eyes.

I remember Sinterklaas and Schimmel. I remember placing an apple in my shoe that night (mom wouldn't let us use her carrots for some reason). The house always smelled a little bit like gingerbread on this particular night too. The next morning we would find our shoes sitting by the fireplace filled with candy and small gifts. I remember Sinterklaas visiting us at our house. He would rap on the front door three times, ring a small handbell and then enter our home. He would sit down and ask us questions (always in Dutch) about how we behaved all year. I was scared of him too, because grandpa told me bad children were taken away to Spain if they were found out! I was always relieved to wake up safe in my bed the next morning! I would listen intently for Schimmel and Piet's footsteps up on our roof. To this day, I sometimes think I actually heard them too! But I wouldn't dare get out of bed to look! Just before Sinterklaas left us, he would toss a handful of candy (or sometimes pennies and nickels) in the air, we would scatter to collect everything and Sinterklaas would disappear out the door. We always sang Sinterklaas Liedjes just before we went to bed. My favorite was "Zie ginds komt de stoomboot". I can still hear it now, as I am typing this message!  As I grew older, I began to question the existence of Sinterklaas. I asked grandpa one time why Sinterklaas came to the United States when he is suppose to be in Holland that same night. Grandpa told me that Sinterklaas also visits the Dutch children in the United States!  "But how grandpa? If Sinterklaas comes to Holland on a steamboat, how does he get to America so fast?", I asked. "But you forget, he is also magical!" grandpa told me. I continued to believe for another year or two after that. Of course, later on, I found out that the Sinterklaas who visited our home was actually grandpa. And he was dressed in the same Sinterklaas costume my great grandfather brought with him from Arnhem many years before.

Grandpa was proud to be Dutch. And he taught me to be proud of it too. He took my sister and I to the Netherlands when we were kids. I remember all of it too! Grandpa showed us our ancestral cities of Arnhem, Nijmegen and Eindhoven. He told us about how much our extended family suffered during World War II. He taught us about the Battle of Arnhem. He taught us about the Dutch Resistance, and how people throughout the country would sometimes use the windmills to communicate with the Allied forces. Naturally, he showed us the flower fields of the Netherlands and told us that the tulip actually came from Turkey! The Dutch perfected the flower though and made it famous, he said. He told us that many years ago, the tulip was a very expensive flower and only the very rich could afford one.

Grandpa taught me to be proud of who I was and to try and stand up for what I thought was right (I guess this explains why I am always battling the trolls over on IMDb!). He taught me it isn't "Dutch" to complain about things. I never argued with him either! Grandpa was 6 1/2 feet tall! He was a kind man with a big heart who loved people and he loved his native country of the Netherlands intensely.

After grandpa died, I felt disconnected from the Netherlands. Like I said earlier, after he died we rarely spoke Dutch in the house. I didn't hear any more of those wonderful stories of life in the Netherlands. I guess this is why I am always so pleased to meet fellow Dutch people here on the Internet. It makes me feel reconnected again to thet country my grandpa taught me to love so much! I still try to cook traditional Dutch meals sometimes. I love Erwtensoep (thick pea soup with sausage, bacon and pig knuckle), Spekpannekoek met Stroop (pancakes and bacon, covered in syrup), Jachtschotel (a cassarole (sp?) with meat and potatoes), Stamppot (a dish with potatoes and smoked sausage) and even though it isn't necessarily Dutch, I also love to cook Gebakken Kip (fried chicken)!

I noticed someone mentioned "gezellig"  in an earlier message. Grandpa always called it gezelligheid. He taught me about that too! To me, the word gezellig simply means cozy. It is a friendly, cozy, happy feeling between good friends and family. I have always thought of gezellig as when you go to the home of a close friend and you bring a bottle of wine or some freshly baked cookies with you, the tv is turned off, and everyone enjoys each other's company for a few hours.Gezellig (to me anyway) is opening up your home to the ones you love, being hospitable and REALLY enjoying each other's company. It is hard to put it into words, isn't it?  I guess it is one of those Dutch words that is difficult to translate into English. I just think of it as meaning cozy or hospitable!  :)

Holland. What a country! It conjures up so many emotions, memories and feelings I have a hard time even putting it all into words. I guess all I can really say is this...

:) Ik Hou Van Nederland!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 07:08:38 pm »
Gezelligheid?

Sounds sort of like the German gemutlichkeit.

(Sorry, Anke, I don't know how to get the umlaut for the "u" in this format!)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 07:14:53 pm »
Wow, David, what a great love letter to Holland/ The Netherlands!
 It is funny (for me) that being sent to Spain should be seen as a punishment, when it would be heaven to me! i guess it must be because of the history of wars between the 2 countries.

Holland is also the place where the puritans converged to leave Europe and set off to the New World. They were to go down in history as the Pilgrims, or Founding Fathers.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:58 pm »
Here is how Seth Stevenson translated gezellig (or gezelligheid) in his Slate piece:

The overriding vibe in Amsterdam is coziness. It's like a municipal mission here. Every cafe has a cute little cat in the corner licking its paws. Every canal house blooms with a window box of tulips. Every hooker has doilies on her bedside table. (I'm guessing about this last thing, but it feels right.)

There's a Dutch word for their tyranny of cuteness. The word is gezellig, and it's difficult to translate. You just know it when you see it. For instance: Friends enjoying a picnic on a canal bank, laughing fondly, sharing a bottle of red wine ... this is clearly gezellig. A slob wolfing down fast food as he sprints to a meeting ... not so gezellig.
Click Here!

(This is a side note, but I find it sad that eating while walking—or worse, eating while driving—is the great American pastime. The Dutch almost never do this, except maybe with an ice cream cone. Having been here for a while, I've now decided I'm firmly on the side of the Dutchies in this matter. The notion that you wouldn't take time to slow down, sit at a table, savor your food—and, better yet, break bread with a couple of friends—seems weird to me now. And please don't start in about lost productivity and the demands of ruthless capitalism. I maintain that you can make money and also make time for a half-decent lunch.)

The larger point is this: They live much better here. They carve out cozy, delightful moments anywhere they can find them. They bring their families on candlelit, nighttime boat rides through the canals. They chat with their friends at outdoor cafes as the sun sets. They leave work by 6 every evening. And these are not special, once-in-a-blue-moon treats. This is how they live, all the time. Even in my short stay here, I've found myself drifting into various gezellig moments (involving, for instance, good food, thoughtful friends, copious pints of Heineken, and a rainy afternoon inside a bar that played only Al Green records).

I realize I'm in grave danger of sounding like a Euro-snob. So, let me be clear: I don't think they're any smarter or cooler than us (though they're certainly taller and slimmer). And yes, of course, we're capable of living beautifully in the States. But the gezellig lifestyle is a national priority with the Dutchies. I'm not even sure what our shared priorities are in America. Getting rich? Appearing on television? It's fair to say that coziness is not high on the list.

So, each time I come to the end of an Amsterdam visit, I wait for my plane at Schiphol Airport and I swear to myself that this time I will bring a little gezellig back home with me. That I will slow down, and savor, and live with grace and elegance. And then I land at Dulles and immediately eat fast food in my car.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 07:38:17 pm »
If I had only one word for gezellig, I'd use "civilized."

If I had my preferred semi-long-winded reply, I'd also add "social," in the sense of the opposite of "antisocial."

Any good?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2006, 07:43:48 pm »
It is funny (for me) that being sent to Spain should be seen as a punishment, when it would be heaven to me! i guess it must be because of the history of wars between the 2 countries.

That did sound a bit bad didn't it? Sorry.

Sinterklaas supposedly comes to Holland by boat from Spain. Dutch children are told they will be taken to Spain with Sinterklaas and Piet if they are bad. Once they get there, they will be servants and forced to help make the toys to be distributed to the GOOD children the following year!

At least this is what Grandpa always told me and my sister! ;)

Edit: It's the idea of being stolen away from your family and forced to work in a far away country that scares children so much. That is what scared me at least! Although if it was to happen, Spain would probably be an ideal place to go! :D

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:01:07 pm by David925 »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 09:16:06 pm »
What a wonderful piece, David.  Thank you for laying out those childhood memories for us.  Now we have a little better idea where some of that sweetness and warmth comes from.  And the strict standards you seem to have for yourself too!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2006, 09:28:24 pm »

Every time I come back to this picture I am amazed anew...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
Andrew -

I love looking at paintings by the Old Masters. Aren't they beautiful? I really don't know much about art, but I certainly do appreciate it. I love to look at it.

And the Netherlands is still producing many very talented artists. I just saw some wonderful artwork last night painted by a very talented Dutchman. I thought the paintings were incredibly beautiful!  :D

Edit: And now I am told the paintings aren't even finished yet!  He's still working on them! :)

Verbazingwekkend!! Hoe is het mogelijk!  :D

Talk about talent! Wow!!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:17:51 am by David925 »

moremojo

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 10:22:33 am »
Andrew -

I love looking at paintings by the Old Masters. Aren't they beautiful? I really don't know much about art, but I certainly do appreciate it. I love to look at it.

And the Netherlands is still producing many very talented artists. I just saw some wonderful artwork last night painted by a very talented Dutchman. I thought the paintings were incredibly beautiful!  :D

Edit: And now I am told the paintings aren't even finished yet!  He's still working on them! :)

Talk about talent! Wow!!

David, can you share this artist's name? Is he currently resident in the States (and Indiana specifically)?

A little bit of trivia: Those who have seen the film A Clockwork Orange will recall the phallic sculpture with which Alex kills the Catlady. That sculpture was a pre-existing work that director Stanley Kubrick had seen exhibited in London, and rented for use in the film. The work's title is "Rocking Machine", and the artist who created it is a man from the Netherlands named Herman Makkink, who was living and working in Britain at that time. In more recent years, he has created replicas of his famous sculpture and sells them online.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:20:44 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2006, 10:31:25 am »
I think Girl with a Pearl Earring, the painting, movie, and book by Tracy Chevalier.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2006, 10:56:35 am »

Talk about talent! Wow!!

<Blushing cowboy smiley>

Are you talking about somebody I know?  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2006, 10:58:35 am »

Every time I come back to this picture I am amazed anew...

Gosh, thanks for posting that, makes me so proud to be Dutch, it is difficult to feel proud to be Dutch lately, because there are so many wrong things going on here... but then I look at paintings from Vermeer, Rembrandt and van Gogh and I get this warm feeling inside... :)

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2006, 11:00:33 am »
What a wonderful idea for a thread Melissa! Thank you!

Nederland. The Netherlands. Holland. What do I think of when I hear that word? Hmmm....

Thanks for that wonderful post David! Ik hou ook van Nederland! Maar ik zou er nog meer van houden als er dingen zouden veranderen!   :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2006, 04:46:02 pm »
Ik hou ook van Nederland! Maar ik zou er nog meer van houden als er dingen zouden veranderen!   :-*

Ja. Ik ook mijn vriendin.

<Blushing cowboy smiley>

Are you talking about somebody I know?  :D

Melissa -

Of course I am!! ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2006, 04:50:31 pm »
David, can you share this artist's name? Is he currently resident in the States (and Indiana specifically)?

A little bit of trivia: Those who have seen the film A Clockwork Orange will recall the phallic sculpture with which Alex kills the Catlady. That sculpture was a pre-existing work that director Stanley Kubrick had seen exhibited in London, and rented for use in the film. The work's title is "Rocking Machine", and the artist who created it is a man from the Netherlands named Herman Makkink, who was living and working in Britain at that time. In more recent years, he has created replicas of his famous sculpture and sells them online.

Scott M.

Scott...

No, this artist is a very loooooooong way from Indiana. He lives in the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. He is a close friend of a friend of mine.  :)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2006, 05:53:05 pm »
Sadly the first thought that pops into my mind is Holland, Michigan *lol*  and then I think clogs, tulips, windmills and "The Girl in Hyacinth Blue" (a book by an author of the last name of Vreeland) and Vermeer (a painting of which is discussed in the book). 

Simplistic I know, but I've never been over seas : (  Almost everything I know about Holland comes from my best friend who is half dutch.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2006, 02:11:49 am »
Sadly the first thought that pops into my mind is Holland, Michigan *lol*  and then I think clogs, tulips, windmills and "The Girl in Hyacinth Blue" (a book by an author of the last name of Vreeland) and Vermeer (a painting of which is discussed in the book). 

Simplistic I know, but I've never been over seas : (  Almost everything I know about Holland comes from my best friend who is half dutch.

Amber -

I have been to Holland, Michigan. I was happy to see a small part of the United States was so Dutch! :D

Do you remember the windmill? If I remember correctly, this windmill actually came from the Netherlands. They dismantled it in Holland, shipped it over to Michigan and rebuilt it! Pretty cool, huh? I think they nicknamed it "De Zwaan" which means swan in Dutch. It's a good name too!

While Holland, Michigan is not quite the Netherlands, it is very Dutch.

Yes, it is a tourist trap. But these tourists can, at  the very least get a glimpse of the Netherlands without ever crossing the Atlantic.

Did you notice the nearby towns around Holland Michigan also have Dutch names... names like Zeeland, Graafschap, Vriesland and Overisel? Did you open up their local telephone book and notice all the Dutch names listed in it? Nearly everyone who lives there is Dutch!  :)

Holland, Michigan may be a far cry from the Netherlands but don't sell yourself short Amber. At least you had a chance to taste thi wonderful Dutch culture. And that's not too bad considering this little slice of Holland is located smack dab in the American Midwest! :)

mvansand76

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2006, 09:41:20 am »
How do I insert an image?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:09 am »
THere are two ways that I know of. You can sign up for a free account on photobucket, upload your photos to their site, and then just copy the URL of the photo you want to use into your message. That has worked best for me. But if you want to insert a photo directly, click on additional options in the lower left corner near the posting box and browse your computer to find the image you want. This doesn't work for me often because the image is too large. I think the limit is somewhere around 500 Kb.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2006, 10:34:52 am »
Buildings that are larger at the top than at the bottom. Windmills, Tulips, Drugs, Theo Van Gogh, Anne Frank and The Flemish.

The Flemish? They're over here in Belgium... but we do speak the same language (well sort of I guess). We also do the 'gezellig' thing quite well

David, thank you for those wonderful childhood memories. I love Sinterklaas! thank god, he's still coming round every year for my two daughters. (means I get to eat a lot of chocolate)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:37:04 pm by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Helen

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 11:08:41 am »

Brammetje lekker!

I LOVE HOLLAND!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
Brammetje lekker!

I LOVE HOLLAND!
Heeeeee!! and patat met pinda saus!!  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:21 pm »
I still try to cook traditional Dutch meals sometimes. I love Erwtensoep (thick pea soup with sausage, bacon and pig knuckle), Spekpannekoek met Stroop (pancakes and bacon, covered in syrup), Jachtschotel (a cassarole (sp?) with meat and potatoes), Stamppot (a dish with potatoes and smoked sausage) and even though it isn't necessarily Dutch, I also love to cook Gebakken Kip (fried chicken)!

I noticed someone mentioned "gezellig"  in an earlier message. Grandpa always called it gezelligheid. He taught me about that too! To me, the word gezellig simply means cozy. It is a friendly, cozy, happy feeling between good friends and family. I have always thought of gezellig as when you go to the home of a close friend and you bring a bottle of wine or some freshly baked cookies with you, the tv is turned off, and everyone enjoys each other's company for a few hours.Gezellig (to me anyway) is opening up your home to the ones you love, being hospitable and REALLY enjoying each other's company. It is hard to put it into words, isn't it?  I guess it is one of those Dutch words that is difficult to translate into English. I just think of it as meaning cozy or hospitable!  :)

Holland. What a country! It conjures up so many emotions, memories and feelings I have a hard time even putting it all into words. I guess all I can really say is this...

Your post is SO great!!! IK HOU OOK VAN NEDERLAND!!!!!!!
I live here, I'm half Dutch half British and live in a small town near Rotterdam.
You've explained the word gezellig perfectly. It's used so often here in Holland  :)
Oh god, I looove erwtensoep!! Yum!
And have you ever had poffertjes?? Small round thick little pancakes eaten with sugar and butter mostly. Deeelicious! I had a friend of mine over from England the other day and she really loved them.
And what about patat - dutch french fries?
I used to go camping every holiday when I was growing up. It IS the Dutch thing to do. Every summer especially France is crawling with Dutch cars with caravans
And yes, every Dutch child grows up with Sinterklaas. It's wonderful. It's celebrated on the 5th of December and thousands of people go out to welcome him when he arrives from Spain on his boot with his Zwarte Pieten

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2006, 05:05:53 pm »
Gezelligheid?

Sounds sort of like the German gemutlichkeit.

(Sorry, Anke, I don't know how to get the umlaut for the "u" in this format!)

Yeah, the two languages are closely related. I don't really understand Dutch but I can guess a lot just from reading. Practically all the Dutch people I've ever met spoke German, though...  ::)

"Geselligkeit" (that's how it's written in German) and "Gemütlichkeit" are both hard to translate, I guess. "Gesellig" is derived from "Gesellschaft" which means "society" or "company." So if someone is "gesellig," they are usually outgoing, love to be in company and to sit around, chat, eat and drink with friends and other people.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2006, 05:07:05 pm »
Your post is SO great!!! IK HOU OOK VAN NEDERLAND!!!!!!!
I live here, I'm half Dutch half British and live in a small town near Rotterdam.
You've explained the word gezellig perfectly. It's used so often here in Holland  :)
Oh god, I looove erwtensoep!! Yum!
And have you ever had poffertjes?? Small round thick little pancakes eaten with sugar and butter mostly. Deeelicious! I had a friend of mine over from England the other day and she really loved them.
And what about patat - dutch french fries?
I used to go camping every holiday when I was growing up. It IS the Dutch thing to do. Every summer especially France is crawling with Dutch cars with caravans
And yes, every Dutch child grows up with Sinterklaas. It's wonderful. It's celebrated on the 5th of December and thousands of people go out to welcome him when he arrives from Spain on his boot with his Zwarte Pieten

Oh. You just made me homesick!  ;)

I never lived in the Netherlands, but I am Dutch and it sure felt like home when I was there. I still miss it!  :'(

Yes, I do cook poffertjes sometimes. My boyfriend loves them and he isn't even Dutch!

How about groentensoep? Do you put the little meatballs in it too?

Now for Nagerecht! Yum...

I love appeltaart, kwarktaart and Haagse bluf. And of course poffertjes!

Heeft u trek?  ;)

Oh, Sinterklaas! I have so many memories of him. I have to laugh about it now though. I never could figure out how my grandpa ALWAYS managed to arrive at our house about 30 minutes after Sinterklaas left! (It was grandpa the whole time!). I'm not sure who intimidated me more - Sinterklaas or Piet! I never did actually see Piet or Schimmel, but Piet scared me none the less. And of course we also had Santa Claus on Christmas too.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:08:41 pm by David925 »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2006, 05:17:05 pm »
Oh. You just made me homesick!  ;)

I never lived in the Netherlands, but I am Dutch and it sure felt like home when I was there. I still miss it!  :'(

Yes, I do cook poffertjes sometimes. My boyfriend loves them and he isn't even Dutch!

How about groentensoep? Do you put the little meatballs in it too?

Now for Nagerecht! Yum...

I love appeltaart, kwarktaart and Haagse bluf. And of course poffertjes!

Heeft u trek?  ;)

Oh, Sinterklaas! I have so many memories of him. I have to laugh about it now though. I never could figure out how my grandpa ALWAYS managed to arrive at our house about 30 minutes after Sinterklaas left! (It was grandpa the whole time!). I'm not sure who intimidated me more - Sinterklaas or Piet! I never did actually see Piet or Schimmel, but Piet scared me none the less. And of course we also had Santa Claus on Christmas too.

Aww, didnt mean to make you feel homesick  :( It's just so great to read all these wonderful things about my little country, hehehe
I'm not much of a cook but I do like making soup and yes I put the little meatballs into my groentensoep! It's not the same without it.
Hehehe, I love toetjes...warme appeltaart met slagroom. Lekker!! LOL
Aww, we always had a nice friendly Sinterklaas come over to the house. Strict but friendly and we never had scary Pieten either. LOL
We celebrated both too but either gave presents on Sinterklaas or Kerstmis.
Great talking to you  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 05:23:50 pm »
When I say Holland:

I think of my sister who lives in Amsterdam with her husband and four kids! :-*

I also think of the beautiful flowers, windmills, clogs..(although I never saw anyone wearing these in public ...)  ;D

I also think of a million bikes ...

..and the open markets in Amsterdam ...

I hope I can go back there next spring for a visit!  :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:25:23 pm by Lucise »

Helen

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2006, 05:33:14 pm »

I hope I can go back there next spring for a visit!  :)

I just came back on Monday from a visit....and I miss it already.  I'll be back in October though. :)

Poffertjes - LEKKER!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2006, 05:34:38 pm »
When I say Holland:

I think of my sister who lives in Amsterdam with her husband and four kids! :-*

I also think of the beautiful flowers, windmills, clogs..(although I never saw anyone wearing these in public ...)  ;D

Oh my God! If he sat down in one of those shoes, he could probably sail back to America in it!  :)

Those pictures are great! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2006, 05:38:33 pm »
I just came back on Monday from a visit....and I miss it already.  I'll be back in October though. :)

Poffertjes - LEKKER!!

Helen -

I envy you! That's wonderful you are going to go back again!  :D

Welcome To Bettermost by the way! I'm glad you are here!  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »
Oh my God! If he sat down in one of those shoes, he could probably sail back to America in it!  :)

Those pictures are great! :D

LOL!  Who needs to buy a plane ticket eh?  ;D  Just get one of those babies and off you go!  ;)

Interestingly enough, when I think of Holland, I don't think of:

OR       

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 06:43:37 pm »
Helen -

I envy you! That's wonderful you are going to go back again!  :D

Welcome To Bettermost by the way! I'm glad you are here!  :)
She's coming back to visit me again! And we will most definitely go out for poffertjes again  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »
David, thank you for those wonderful childhood memories. I love Sinterklaas! thank god, he's still coming round every year for my two daughters. (means I get to eat a lot of chocolate)

I have often wondered who enjoys the holidays more; the children or the adults!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
She's coming back to visit me again! And we will most definitely go out for poffertjes again  :D

The two of you are friends? I mean, you actually know each other?

:D  Geweldig!   :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2006, 07:09:22 pm »
The two of you are friends? I mean, you actually know each other?

:D  Geweldig!   :D
LOL  jij bent ook GEWELDIG David!
Yeah, we are really great friends and I had a wonderful time showing Helen around Holland  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2006, 07:12:14 pm »
This is such a GREAT place! Helen and I used to hang out on the DC BBM Forum. I'm just a newbie here but I love it  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2006, 07:23:40 pm »
Welkom in Bettermost Bigheart!

Aangenaam kennis te maken!  :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2006, 07:26:16 pm »
Welkom in Bettermost Bigheart!

Aangenaam kennis te maken!  :D
Dank je wel David!
Ook heel prettig om met jou kennis te maken!  :D

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 12:35:54 am »
Amber -

I have been to Holland, Michigan. I was happy to see a small part of the United States was so Dutch! :D

Do you remember the windmill? If I remember correctly, this windmill actually came from the Netherlands. They dismantled it in Holland, shipped it over to Michigan and rebuilt it! Pretty cool, huh? I think they nicknamed it "De Zwaan" which means swan in Dutch. It's a good name too!

While Holland, Michigan is not quite the Netherlands, it is very Dutch.

Yes, it is a tourist trap. But these tourists can, at  the very least get a glimpse of the Netherlands without ever crossing the Atlantic.

Did you notice the nearby towns around Holland Michigan also have Dutch names... names like Zeeland, Graafschap, Vriesland and Overisel? Did you open up their local telephone book and notice all the Dutch names listed in it? Nearly everyone who lives there is Dutch!  :)

Holland, Michigan may be a far cry from the Netherlands but don't sell yourself short Amber. At least you had a chance to taste thi wonderful Dutch culture. And that's not too bad considering this little slice of Holland is located smack dab in the American Midwest! :)

You are correct about the windmill.  The whole set up they have in that area is actually really cool.  If you are there at the right time of day they have people dancing in clogs and demonstrations on how clogs are made etc.  Interesting stuff.

Oddly, for as free thinking we associate the Holland overseas to be, the entire West side of Michigan is known for being overwhelmingly republican and uber conservative and often the reason that is given for that is the large number of Dutch that are in the area.  I dunno.  I think it's because there are a heck of a lot of rich people on that side of the state *lol* 

Anyways I digress - it's nice to know that I've seen a slice of what the actual Holland is like.  I always wondered how much they were fabricating and I'm glad to know that I actually learned something useful while I was there : )
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2006, 01:43:20 am »
Anyways I digress - it's nice to know that I've seen a slice of what the actual Holland is like.  I always wondered how much they were fabricating and I'm glad to know that I actually learned something useful while I was there : )

Amber- Like I said, Holland, Michigan is not the Netherlands. Keep your passport current. But yes, you did learn something while you were there. Holland is a wonderful city! :)

mvansand76

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2006, 07:08:06 am »
The Flemish? They're over here in Belgium... but we do speak the same language (well sort of I guess). We also do the 'gezellig' thing quite well

Hiya neighbour!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2006, 07:08:59 am »
Brammetje lekker!

I LOVE HOLLAND!

To quote Ennis: Hunh?
 :laugh:
Thanks for loving Holland!

mvansand76

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2006, 07:09:47 am »
Heeeeee!! and patat met pinda saus!!  :-*

LEKKKKKKERRRRRRR

Nog een cloggie?

mvansand76

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2006, 07:17:55 am »
Wow thanks everybody for all the wonderful, insightful replies! Keep them coming!!!!

;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2006, 11:09:00 am »

LEKKKKKKERRRRRRR

Nog een cloggie?
Ja! HEEEEEEEL LEKKER!!

Cloggie?  ???

mvansand76

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2006, 05:22:55 am »
Ja! HEEEEEEEL LEKKER!!

Cloggie?  ???

Zo noemen ze ons in Engeland, cloggies...

That's what they call us in England!

Helen

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2006, 05:25:48 am »
Zo noemen ze ons in Engeland, cloggies...

That's what they call us in England!

Do they/we?  Nver heard that before! 

mvansand76

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:41 am »

That's what my sister tells me, she lives in Welwyn Garden City in Herts.

She might be wrong though... :( :o

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2006, 05:57:18 am »

Me neither  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2006, 06:51:33 am »
Me neither  :D

It's quite appropriate though, isn't it?  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2006, 09:12:42 pm »
It's quite appropriate though, isn't it?  :laugh:

I was reading this post about wooden shoes/clogs/klompen and suddenly a memory of my trip to the Netherlands, along with a question popped into my mind.

When we were in the Netherlands, I saw very few people wearing klompen. In fact, about the only place I remember seeing people wearing them was in a couple of small towns in Zeeland.

I was wondering if there are any areas in the Netherlands one can find people still wearing the klompen, baggy pants, lace caps etc..?

Like I said, I saw very few people wearing traditional Dutch clothing when I was there, and my trip to the Netherlands was at least 25 years ago.

I also remember seeing a few fisherman wearing klompen. I had an unpleasant experience with a fish during this stop at the docks.  :P 

But that is a different story.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2006, 01:04:51 am »
Hmmm... Does this silence mean I was the only Dutch person in this forum over the weekend?

Or should I take it as a "no" answer. Have they stopped wearing traditional Dutch clothing throughout the Netherlands? Even in Zeeland?

Lieve Hemel!  :(

I hope this is not the case.

What is happening to my Mother Country?  :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2006, 06:28:26 am »
Hmmm... Does this silence mean I was the only Dutch person in this forum over the weekend?

Or should I take it as a "no" answer. Have they stopped wearing traditional Dutch clothing throughout the Netherlands? Even in Zeeland?

Lieve Hemel!  :(

I hope this is not the case.

What is happening to my Mother Country?  :'(

Pretty much, yeah, I'm sorry to say this, in some conservative villages they still wear them, and sometimes only for the tourists... Did I just burst your bubble? I hope not.... :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2006, 03:38:20 pm »
Pretty much, yeah, I'm sorry to say this, in some conservative villages they still wear them, and sometimes only for the tourists... Did I just burst your bubble? I hope not.... :(

No, you didn't burst my bubble. I was pretty sure this was the case. I remember after we left Arnhem and Nijmegen we went to Eindhoven, and then took a train to Rotterdam. We did stop in Zeeland for a day or two (one night I think) along with a quick one day trip to Amsterdam. So, with the exception of Amsterdam, I only saw the southern half of the country. I wasn't too sure about the nothern half though. The only time I saw anyone in national costume was in Zeeland.

Everything is changing I guess. It's been 25 or 30 years since I have been to the Netherlands and I saw very little evidence of it then. So it doesn't surprise me to hear it.

An overseas friend asked me once if we (me and my People... I am one quarter Lakota Sioux) still wear headdresses! I told him people rarely even wear national costume on the Reservations anymore, except during powwows and things like that. Most Native American kids on the reservations dress just like any other American or Western kids... tee shirts, Levi jeans, Addidas shoes and a baseball cap! Most Native Americans do not even speak the old languages anymore. I guess this is why I am trying so hard to learn Lakota. I hate to think of this language dying out altogether. 

Owh han to-ka-ha iska nah-ceh-ceh (So sad but so true).    :(

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2006, 06:22:10 pm »
And in Volendam they still wear them but mainly for the tourists. You can even get your picture taken wearing traditional Dutch clothing. LOL!!
A lot of farmers in Holland wear clogs around the farm, they are a bit different from the touristy clogs though  :)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2006, 09:41:39 pm »
I don't suppose you got to the Hoge Veluwe National Park when you were in Arnhem, David?  That is one of my finest memories of the Netherlands.

I was there in May of 1999; in May it was still staying light until about 10:30 at night.  We arrived by foot, late - maybe at 6:00 in the afternoon.  We had spent the day at Het Loo.  We had been staying three nights at the other end of the park from Arnhem, at the Carnegie Cottage near Otterloo.  We kept meaning to get to the national park proper, but right across from the inn was a path going into an adjacent very wild and large local park, and day after day we let ourselves be sucked down that inviting path, which we could look out over from our windows under the high cottage gable. 

This was the last night before the morning we were scheduled to leave, so it was our last chance to see the national park, the official Tourist Destination of this part of our itinerary.  We walked over from the inn.  On the road just before the entrance there was a backyard filled with every imaginable domestic and small exotic animal.  When they saw us they charged the fence en masse -- clearly used to being fed by other visitors.  There is something so memorable about being charged by a rabbit.

We knew the Kroller-Muller museum with the fantastic Van Gogh collection would be closed by then, but it was our last night and we wanted to take the tour on the famous free white bicycles.  We found them neatly lined up in their lot and found ones that fit us.  The park has wonderful bicycle paths which run all through its savannahs - and that is the right word for them.  We had been looking at highly traditional European palace and formal gardens at Het Loo, and suddenly here was an open landscape with long parched brown grass and scattered, very African looking trees.  And of course, herds of moufflon, and deer.  The air was warm and dry, the breeze comfortable, the sun in no hurry to set, the park completely deserted by humans.  We sped along those seemingly endless paths with the feeling of being twice removed from home, as far from the Netherlands as from the US, in some place that was so perfect it didn't matter where it was, if it was a real place.  And the strange long day, as if the day at the park was tacked onto the day at the palace without any night between.  We did the full loop, up to the lake and the lodge then back another way.  When it was just beginning to get dark we left the bikes and walked back to the inn, completely wiped out and ready to pass out.

I want to go back!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:49:59 pm by Andrew »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2006, 10:51:56 pm »
I don't suppose you got to the Hoge Veluwe National Park when you were in Arnhem, David?  That is one of my finest memories of the Netherlands.

Andrew, No I/we didn't go to this park when I was in the Netherlands. The name does ring a bell though. Grandpa took us to the Netherlands to teach and show us our family history and Dutch history. We didn't really spend any time going to the parks, although I would have loved it. Grandpa took us to 5 cities, and a few smaller towns in Zeeland, and we did it all in roughly 14 days. My little 14 year old mind was reeling from everything we saw by the time I arrived back home in Indianapolis. I remember the entire trip though. I would love to go back to the Netherlands someday and see the country again, but I would take it a little slower the next time.   :D

Edit: Andrew, I really feel as if I don't need to go and see Hoge Veluwe now. As I was reading your post, I could see it all in my mind. Have you ever thought about becoming an author? You write beautifully! You have a  way of painting pictures with your words. I wish I could do that!   :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:56:17 pm by David925 »

mvansand76

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2006, 07:27:15 am »

I want to go back!

Hi Andrew - I love the way you describe de Hoge Veluwe, it's quite unique, isn't it? As David said, you have a way of painting pictures with your words, that's quite unique as well! Het Loo is beautiful, the gardens surrounding it are amazing. De Hoge Veluwe is one of my two favorite places in Holland, the other is the dune area at the coast around Bergen, Schoorl and Camperduin/Hargen, it's beautiful there, I love the beach, which is as quiet as they come in Holland, the woods, the place exudes peacefulness, I call it my Brokeback Mountain! Maybe a tip for your next trip to Holland?  ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2006, 09:12:29 am »
David, you are obviously in need of a return visit to the Netherlands!  Your grandfather achieved his great hope: your ancestral home has become an  part of who you are.

Part of the underlayer of my trip was that it was my first back to Europe since I was 20, so I was relating everything in 1999 back to what I experienced im my impressionable early adulthood.  My family travelled to Europe once every three years while I was in my teens and I greedily took in whatever was unlike what I knew from Indianapolis, which was obviously, almost everything.  We tended to stay the most in Germany and Austria since my mother was of German descent and she and my father had studied a year in Marburg after their wedding.  For her, too, visiting these places was a connection to the past and a reminder that she was not a different person deep down than the young student of so many years back.  I was the youngest in my family and our births were widely spaced, so her year of study was twenty-eight years earlier than her first visit with her children.  Seeing Marburg again, knowing she had not just dreamed her past, I imagine was something indescribable for her.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:22:23 am by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:19 am »
There is a way for me to get seamlessly back on topic, crossing from Marburg into the Netherlands via France, and it will be the more seamless now that I no longer need to show a passport or change currency as I had to do when I was last in Europe.

Not everyone knows that the mysterious beautiful land described in Baudelaire's poem L'Invitation au Voyage was the Netherlands, or at least his idea of it inspired by Vermeer. 

"...Songe a la douceur
D'aller la-bas vivre ensemble!
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute,
Luxe, calme et volupte."

"...Think of the rapture of going there to live together!...
There, all is order and beauty, luxury, calm and pleasure to the senses."

Baudelaire was only the nex-to-last of the Romantics.  As you may have gathered by now, I'm the last...or at least I'm in that club.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:37:28 am by Andrew »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2006, 11:14:47 pm »
I'm bumping this thread just in case some of the new members to the forum would like to respond to it.  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2006, 06:53:42 am »
I'm bumping this thread just in case some of the new members to the forum would like to respond to it.  :)

I'm not new AND I started this thread, but thanks for bumping!  ;)