Author Topic: When I say Holland....  (Read 28476 times)

Helen

Re: When I say Holland....
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 11:08:41 am »
When I say Holland, you say....

Brammetje lekker!

I LOVE HOLLAND!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
Brammetje lekker!

I LOVE HOLLAND!
Heeeeee!! and patat met pinda saus!!  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:21 pm »
I still try to cook traditional Dutch meals sometimes. I love Erwtensoep (thick pea soup with sausage, bacon and pig knuckle), Spekpannekoek met Stroop (pancakes and bacon, covered in syrup), Jachtschotel (a cassarole (sp?) with meat and potatoes), Stamppot (a dish with potatoes and smoked sausage) and even though it isn't necessarily Dutch, I also love to cook Gebakken Kip (fried chicken)!

I noticed someone mentioned "gezellig"  in an earlier message. Grandpa always called it gezelligheid. He taught me about that too! To me, the word gezellig simply means cozy. It is a friendly, cozy, happy feeling between good friends and family. I have always thought of gezellig as when you go to the home of a close friend and you bring a bottle of wine or some freshly baked cookies with you, the tv is turned off, and everyone enjoys each other's company for a few hours.Gezellig (to me anyway) is opening up your home to the ones you love, being hospitable and REALLY enjoying each other's company. It is hard to put it into words, isn't it?  I guess it is one of those Dutch words that is difficult to translate into English. I just think of it as meaning cozy or hospitable!  :)

Holland. What a country! It conjures up so many emotions, memories and feelings I have a hard time even putting it all into words. I guess all I can really say is this...

:) Ik Hou Van Nederland!  :)
Your post is SO great!!! IK HOU OOK VAN NEDERLAND!!!!!!!
I live here, I'm half Dutch half British and live in a small town near Rotterdam.
You've explained the word gezellig perfectly. It's used so often here in Holland  :)
Oh god, I looove erwtensoep!! Yum!
And have you ever had poffertjes?? Small round thick little pancakes eaten with sugar and butter mostly. Deeelicious! I had a friend of mine over from England the other day and she really loved them.
And what about patat - dutch french fries?
I used to go camping every holiday when I was growing up. It IS the Dutch thing to do. Every summer especially France is crawling with Dutch cars with caravans
And yes, every Dutch child grows up with Sinterklaas. It's wonderful. It's celebrated on the 5th of December and thousands of people go out to welcome him when he arrives from Spain on his boot with his Zwarte Pieten
 :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2006, 05:05:53 pm »
Gezelligheid?

Sounds sort of like the German gemutlichkeit.

(Sorry, Anke, I don't know how to get the umlaut for the "u" in this format!)

Yeah, the two languages are closely related. I don't really understand Dutch but I can guess a lot just from reading. Practically all the Dutch people I've ever met spoke German, though...  ::)

"Geselligkeit" (that's how it's written in German) and "Gemütlichkeit" are both hard to translate, I guess. "Gesellig" is derived from "Gesellschaft" which means "society" or "company." So if someone is "gesellig," they are usually outgoing, love to be in company and to sit around, chat, eat and drink with friends and other people.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2006, 05:07:05 pm »
Your post is SO great!!! IK HOU OOK VAN NEDERLAND!!!!!!!
I live here, I'm half Dutch half British and live in a small town near Rotterdam.
You've explained the word gezellig perfectly. It's used so often here in Holland  :)
Oh god, I looove erwtensoep!! Yum!
And have you ever had poffertjes?? Small round thick little pancakes eaten with sugar and butter mostly. Deeelicious! I had a friend of mine over from England the other day and she really loved them.
And what about patat - dutch french fries?
I used to go camping every holiday when I was growing up. It IS the Dutch thing to do. Every summer especially France is crawling with Dutch cars with caravans
And yes, every Dutch child grows up with Sinterklaas. It's wonderful. It's celebrated on the 5th of December and thousands of people go out to welcome him when he arrives from Spain on his boot with his Zwarte Pieten

Oh. You just made me homesick!  ;)

I never lived in the Netherlands, but I am Dutch and it sure felt like home when I was there. I still miss it!  :'(

Yes, I do cook poffertjes sometimes. My boyfriend loves them and he isn't even Dutch!

How about groentensoep? Do you put the little meatballs in it too?

Now for Nagerecht! Yum...

I love appeltaart, kwarktaart and Haagse bluf. And of course poffertjes!

Heeft u trek?  ;)

Oh, Sinterklaas! I have so many memories of him. I have to laugh about it now though. I never could figure out how my grandpa ALWAYS managed to arrive at our house about 30 minutes after Sinterklaas left! (It was grandpa the whole time!). I'm not sure who intimidated me more - Sinterklaas or Piet! I never did actually see Piet or Schimmel, but Piet scared me none the less. And of course we also had Santa Claus on Christmas too.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:08:41 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2006, 05:17:05 pm »
Oh. You just made me homesick!  ;)

I never lived in the Netherlands, but I am Dutch and it sure felt like home when I was there. I still miss it!  :'(

Yes, I do cook poffertjes sometimes. My boyfriend loves them and he isn't even Dutch!

How about groentensoep? Do you put the little meatballs in it too?

Now for Nagerecht! Yum...

I love appeltaart, kwarktaart and Haagse bluf. And of course poffertjes!

Heeft u trek?  ;)

Oh, Sinterklaas! I have so many memories of him. I have to laugh about it now though. I never could figure out how my grandpa ALWAYS managed to arrive at our house about 30 minutes after Sinterklaas left! (It was grandpa the whole time!). I'm not sure who intimidated me more - Sinterklaas or Piet! I never did actually see Piet or Schimmel, but Piet scared me none the less. And of course we also had Santa Claus on Christmas too.

Aww, didnt mean to make you feel homesick  :( It's just so great to read all these wonderful things about my little country, hehehe
I'm not much of a cook but I do like making soup and yes I put the little meatballs into my groentensoep! It's not the same without it.
Hehehe, I love toetjes...warme appeltaart met slagroom. Lekker!! LOL
Aww, we always had a nice friendly Sinterklaas come over to the house. Strict but friendly and we never had scary Pieten either. LOL
We celebrated both too but either gave presents on Sinterklaas or Kerstmis.
Great talking to you  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 05:23:50 pm »
When I say Holland:

I think of my sister who lives in Amsterdam with her husband and four kids! :-*

I also think of the beautiful flowers, windmills, clogs..(although I never saw anyone wearing these in public ...)  ;D

I also think of a million bikes ...

..and the open markets in Amsterdam ...

I hope I can go back there next spring for a visit!  :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:25:23 pm by Lucise »

Helen

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2006, 05:33:14 pm »

I hope I can go back there next spring for a visit!  :)

I just came back on Monday from a visit....and I miss it already.  I'll be back in October though. :)

Poffertjes - LEKKER!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2006, 05:34:38 pm »
When I say Holland:

I think of my sister who lives in Amsterdam with her husband and four kids! :-*

I also think of the beautiful flowers, windmills, clogs..(although I never saw anyone wearing these in public ...)  ;D

Oh my God! If he sat down in one of those shoes, he could probably sail back to America in it!  :)

Those pictures are great! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2006, 05:38:33 pm »
I just came back on Monday from a visit....and I miss it already.  I'll be back in October though. :)

Poffertjes - LEKKER!!

Helen -

I envy you! That's wonderful you are going to go back again!  :D

Welcome To Bettermost by the way! I'm glad you are here!  :)