Author Topic: So, I saw Rufus Wainwright!  (Read 5517 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
So, I saw Rufus Wainwright!
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:15:29 am »
First, I apologize for not being very active in this forum lately, but it's partly due to me adopting 4 cats, which I still try to name (see - Brokeback Mountain Open Forum 'Naming that kitten', where I'm waiting for some inspiration from you guys..  :laugh:).

Aaaaaaaaanyway!

This Saturday, Rufus Wainwright sang at the yearly 3-day 'Cactusfestival' (no idea, why it's called that way..) in Brugge, a pretty little town in Northern Belgium. There were several artists, all singing for about 1 hour or so. He was on at 7:40pm and he was punctual. There was already a small little crowd in front of the podium, so I had not the very best view, but it was okay. When I tried taking pictures at the beginning and couldn't see properly ('cause too small) a guy next to me (Tim) helped out. Really nice. Then with the crowd moving, I took pictures easily too. I could even tape two of the songs ('The Maker Makes' and a French song!) with my brand new digital camera. The quality isn't perfect of course (also, holding up a camera for 3 minutes isn't an easy thing to do!  ;D ). If I work out how to download it here on BetterMost I will!

So, Rufus! Quite a funny guy and a real charmer! But for those who know him well, it's nothing new I guess. I only 'found out' about him through BBM, but love his music and his voice! Anyway, Rufus really entertained the crowd! At some point during a song one of his guitar string tore and there was a bling blong ding dong sound - quite funny - and Rufus just kept playing and laughing at the same time.. He sang two songs with his sister Lucy too. Just before singing 'The Maker Makes' he mentioned Brokeback Mountain of course and the crowd cheered! A few girls behind me knew all the lyrics! At some point during one of his songs he suddenly left out the lyrics and sang lalilallablala or something, saying that the text was too depressing for a beautiful and sunny day in Brugge. All along he had these funny little comments and was laughing with the crowd. It was really a 'happy' performance.

At the end I talked to Tim a bit and it turned out that he is a huge fan of Rufus and has ALL his CDs! He tells me that hearing him on stage, with just his guitar or piano is quite new to him and he enjoyed it a lot. I asked him for his e-mail address so that I could send him a few pictures. When the crowd left I went to see if I could get an autograph. Two people standing at the security fence where yelling 'Rufus I love you!', but he didn't show..  :D Then it was me and 3 other people left, waiting. I came to the festival with a friend who was waiting for me some place else, so at some point I gave up, but not without asking one of the persons next to me if I could give her my e-mail address so that she could tell me whether he showed or not. She did, he didn't. Apparently they gave a picture to one of the security guards to have it signed, but he came back saying that Rufus Wainwright had already left.. Too bad!  :-\

Anyway, here are few pictures (I have more, but I took them with my 'old fashioned' camera and still need to get them developed. I hope they are better than these).. He does sing with his eyes closed a lot!..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
Re: So, I saw Rufus Wainwright!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:42:41 am »
I'm so jealous!! I LOVE Rufus but he never seems to be playing anywhere around here  :'(

Thanks for the pics, they were great!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:37:17 am »
Wow, you had a great time. I don't know anything about Rufus, except "The maker makes" and "River".
But after your lively description I think maybe I should give that guy and his music a second thought. He really seems to be a funny guy.

Thanks for sharing this story and the pics.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:09:51 pm »
wow. great pic quality with your phone. and I'm happy that you enjoyed the performance. he looks cuter with his hair short like that.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:09:06 pm »
I love Rufus!  I really got excited when I first saw his "The Maker Makes" music video on TV.
Cant imagine what'd be like watching him live!
You are lucky!  Great pix!  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 02:22:06 am »
Speaking of "The Maker Makes," the video by him--where the hell is it? It was all over the place just befroe ther demise ofr Pierre Tremblay...now I can't find it anywhere...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 09:00:50 am »
Jude, great despription of your experience, thank you so much!

I have posted this before, but I first heard of Rufus Wainwright when he was a baby.  He comes from a super-talented family - his father is Loudon Wainwright III and his mother is Kate MacGarrigle, both successful and wonderful singer-songwriters.  When I was a teenager, I had an album by his father that I loved.  One of the songs on it is called "Rufus is a Tit Man," which actually was very sweet and funny about how focused that tiny baby was on breastfeeding.  Funny to be immortalized that way at such a young age, and then turn out not to be one... :)

I would say that Rufus has now surpassed both his parents in fame, but his grandfather, Loudon Wainwright Jr., in his day, was extremely well-known and respected as a war correspondent for Life magazine during WWII.

Thanks again, Jude, for letting us share the concert with you!

Clarissa

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 09:55:29 am »
I'm a big Rufus fan too, and own all of his albums (everything he's released is available at the iTunes Music Store: fyi).

I also have a documentary about him called "All I Want."  Includes lots of interviews with Rufus and his family, backup musicians, and producers.  Also contatins several music videos, and footage of him singing by himself as he introduces a new song to his producer for the first time.

It's a great DVD for Rufus-ites!
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 03:28:13 pm »
I read in the newpaper that Rufus was the best concert of the day. Really pleased for you Jude. The article also mentioned his Brokeback Mountain commentary 'he wanted to slip some homosexuality into country music, where it belonged' :D

We went on sunday to see David Gray, it was fantastic!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 05:00:28 pm »
RUFUS ROCKS!!!!! I've known about him since my bro bought me his first album for x-mas in 1999 or so. He's so much funnier on stage than his lyrics would lead one to think. You're a lucky woman, Jude. I've been lucky 3 times too (seeing him live that is!)

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 09:30:33 am »
Thank you everyone! Yeah! He rocks!

I went into town this lunch to pick up something and I had a look at CDs in the section 'W' and they had a CD of him!! Bought it right away of course!! My first!  ;D  It's the "WANT two".

He IS cute Starboardlight! When I saw his pictures on his web-site I wasn't impressed, but he sure is a cutie!

Wonderful story Clarissa! If only his father had known..  :laugh:

Belbbmfan - too bad we didn't organise a meeting somehow. You are right, it was an amazing performance. Not over the top or anything, but capturing perfectly the mood of the day and place. Thanks for the quote. Love it! I'll write it into my RW-CD case. I know he said something about BBM, but I didn't remember the exact words.

Isn't that funny, Jenny how you expect something completely different, knowing a few of his songs (very melancholic, slow - most of the time) and then seeing/hearing him on stage! Quite the surprise. Great surprise!

Thank you for the tip, Impish!

~ j U d E

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 11:40:03 am »
Cool!~ :D

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 06:09:36 am »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

I'm an a$$hole big time! Sorry.. BUT I JUST DELETED THE TWO SONGS I TAPED AT THE RUFUS WAINWRIGHT concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

Running around like a freak..................  I knew 3 hours sleep would make me do something stupid...   >:(  :(  :o

:'(  :'(

~ j U d E

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 06:47:40 am »
ouch Jude :(
would it help if i sent you the newspaper article about the concert? Hey, I'll even translate it for you if you don't speak dutch :)

F
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 09:08:06 am »
Yes, it would help!  :-*  :-*

I'm feeling kinda numb..

You don't need to translate!

THANK YOU..

~ j U d E

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 01:51:56 pm »
Rufus's "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen) makes me weak.