Author Topic: Brokeback Slumdog Millionaire Mountain!  (Read 18061 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Brokeback Slumdog Millionaire Mountain!
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:49:11 am »
No flim has captured my imagination like Brokeback Mountain until Slumdog Millionaire came along! Anyone else feel the same? If so, here's a place to discuss one or both of them!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Slumdog Millionaire Mountain!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:19:00 pm »
Slumdog was good, but it is nowhere near as good as Brokeback Mountain... (Sorry Lee... :D )

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:06:05 am »
I agree, friend, about Brokeback Mountain. But Slumdog was the first movie since then that has held my interest and, even more important, conveys a passion for life that BBM possesses.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:59:59 pm »
I'm trying to imagine the two films as one of those mashups that were so popular on YouTube right after BBM came out.  8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:50:46 pm »

I still haven't seen Slumdog yet.  I've seen the previews a million times though... and frequently I find that I have that theme song stuck in my head.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:30:31 pm »
.. conveys a passion for life..

That's a great description of Slumdog Millionaire.   I saw it several weeks ago before it won any awards and I loved it.  Gritty, but inspiring. It's definitely movie I could watch again. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

karen1129

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:33:49 pm »
I'm going to have to go see this movie. 
I was wondering if it would be a movie I would like,
and by what you guys say, it is.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:29 pm »
I still haven't seen Slumdog yet.  I've seen the previews a million times though... and frequently I find that I have that theme song stuck in my head.

I didn't see the trailer friend. The soundtrack is really quite something. The first time I saw this movie at an art house the soundtrack was fun, noisy, and ebullant, just this side of discordant. The second time I saw it was at a mall, and the sound was painfully loud!! So, I suggest that everyone take ear plugs just in case.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:58:46 pm »
I've heard of it, whats it about?
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:33:16 pm »
I didn't see the trailer friend. The soundtrack is really quite something. The first time I saw this movie at an art house the soundtrack was fun, noisy, and ebullant, just this side of discordant. The second time I saw it was at a mall, and the sound was painfully loud!! So, I suggest that everyone take ear plugs just in case.

Well, when I said "preview", I should really have said the commercial on TV.  I don't think I actually ever saw the preview in the theatre.  But, the TV commercial for Slumdog seems to be on every 5 seconds around here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »
Oh I haven't seen the commercial either, which shows you how often I watch TV!

I've heard of it, whats it about?

In a nutshell, a poor young man from the slums of Mumbai (Bombay) finagles a way to become a guest on the show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" (Indian version) and, he wins!! (This is not a spoiler). How he came to know the answers to the questions forms the exciting story.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »
There are quite a few more Hollywood/Indian collaborations in the works building on the success of Slumdog Millionaire, according to a large article in the Wall Street journal today.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »
I think this is going to win best picture at that joke they call the Academy Awards this year.  Only because it's a popularity contest, and this is the most popular movie.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:50:55 am »
It appears to be a horserace between SM and CCoBB.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 12:09:44 am »
I've heard many good things about "Slumdog Millionaire" but I've put-off seeing it because I'm just not into Bollywood cinema.

Not that I haven't tried. I work with a delightful Indian woman who recently gave me the DVD of the popular Bollywood movie "Bride and Prejudice," an Indian remake of the Jane Austen classic, "Pride and Prejudice."

Well, can I tell you, I managed to watch about thirty minutes of it before having to turn it off. My viewing experience could be likened to terminal seasickness with glitter attached - lots and lots of glitter. It was non-stop, ultra-manic, all singing, all dancing hysteria, in screamingly bright technicolor, with every instant accompanied by brain-picklingly jarring Indian music, screeching and jingling incessantly. Talk about sensory overload! I swear, no one in that cast sat still for a single second. Jane Austen would roll over in her grave. My Indian colleague tells me that most Indian cinema is like this. She told me that even in dramas, there's at least one musical number.

I read a review of Slumdog Millionaire in Time magazine, which advised it has not been received well in India. The Indians, it would appear, do not appreciate being portrayed internationally as slum dwellers. Nor do they like being referred to as "dogs" (as in "slumdog").

Guess I'll catch it when it comes to television. Or maybe not.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
It is neither a Bollywood production nor a yellow  journalism portrayal  of  slums. It is impossible to characterize this movie!!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »
For FRiend Lee, the film's end credits:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEsMNODj8YU[/youtube]

Enjoy!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
Thanks, friiend Fran. Have you seen the movie?

This trailer is cuts from the credits of the movie. The actual movie contains NO dancing.

Offline Fran

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 10:59:05 pm »
Thanks, friiend Fran. Have you seen the movie?

This trailer is cuts from the credits of the movie. The actual movie contains NO dancing.

Yes, I saw it and liked it a lot.

And here's the official trailer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSRcgDv9JW8[/youtube]

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 04:53:18 pm »
Dev Patel, the 18-year old actor who portrays, Jamal, the main character, was on "The Daily Show with John Stewart."  A great interview.  I had no idea he had never been to Mumbai before he started shooting the movie.
He's so talented and just adorable.   :) 

I couldn't find it on YouTube, but here's the link from "The Daily Show."

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=217667&title=dev-patel

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/20/nytfrontpage/20090220POD_7.html

Pictures of the Day, February 20

Rubina Ali, one of the child actors in "Slumdog Millionaire," prepared inside her Mumbai shanty to go out shopping. All nine actors who play the three main characters in three stages of their lives will attend the Oscars in Los Angeles this Sunday. The rags-to-riches story set and shot in the slums of Mumbai has been nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including best picture and best director.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 10:21:41 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/20/slumdog-millionaire-kids_n_168485.html

"Slumdog Millionaire" Kids Will Attend The Oscars

Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, 10, looks on while shopping for shoes in Bandra, suburban Mumbai, India, Friday, Feb. 20, 2009. Azharuddin played the youngest portrayal of Salim, the brother of the main character Jamal, in the Oscar-nominated film Slumdog Millionaire.  The child stars of the film will take their first airplane trip when they attend the Academy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday.

by ERIKA KINETZ
February 20, 2009 06:42 PM EST | 

MUMBAI, India — In the slums where they live, goats pick over piles of trash and men kneel in the street to pray. But the young stars of "Slumdog Millionaire" were cruising Mumbai in an air-conditioned Toyota Friday, doing last-minute shopping and getting advice on the unimaginable: air travel.

The slumdog kids had just got the good news _ they were going to the Oscars.

"I feel very very very very very very good," 10-year-old Azharuddin Ismail said, sitting across from his home, a scruffy lean-to of tarps and blankets.

He'd never been on plane. He'd never traveled outside India. And, when pressed, he couldn't name any Hollywood stars he'd really like to meet.

Neither could Rubina Ali, his 9-year-old co-star and neighbor.

Both were plucked from the slums of Mumbai by director Danny Boyle to star in "Slumdog Millionaire,"  a rags-to-riches tale of a slum kid who makes it big. The film has been nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

Azhar, as his friends call him, was cast as the hero Jamal Malik's brother Salim, and Rubina as the young Latika, who grows up to be his love interest.

All nine actors who play the three lead characters in three stages of their lives will attend the awards ceremony Sunday. "The kids are on their way to the Oscars! Everyone is very excited!" Boyle said in an e-mail confirming the good news Friday.

They include actors comfortable on the red carpet, like 18-year-old Dev Patel, who lives in London, and the glamorous Freida Pinto, 24, who has been praised in Vogue  as a new style icon. Others, like Ayush Mahesh Khedekar, who plays the young Jamal, live in India but did not grow up in the slums.

But for Azhar and Rubina, there was a frenzied scramble this week to get visas, passports and tickets after their parents decided at the last minute they wanted them to attend the ceremony, producer Christian Colson said.

Everything came through Thursday when the children learned they had their visas; their passports were issued a day earlier. Rubina was traveling with her uncle, Mohideen Khan, and Azhar with his mother, Shameem Ismail.

So Friday was anything but normal for Azhar and Rubina.

Around them the slum continued at its usual pace: Sewing machines thrummed from small, dark rooms. Women swatted flies from fresh-cut meat. Mangy dogs slept in the sun. Barbers sat in their barren shops, waiting for customers.

But Rubina and Azhar were chauffeured around in a Toyota Innova with leather seats, talking with a crush of reporters and visiting a local counseling center for some advice about how not to get sick in an airplane and how to handle themselves in America.

Rubina was all giddy smiles. "I'm very happy that I'm going to the Oscars," she said, as her aunt boiled rice for lunch. "I'm the only one of my friends who gets to see the Oscars. My friends are saying, 'Your fate is so good.'"

She said she plans to take a lot of photographs in Los Angeles to bring home to show her friends.

Her father, Rafiq Quereshi, stood by her side throughout the day, hugging her proudly now and then. He said he couldn't accompany her because he broke his ankle. "I wanted to be there," he said. He plans to watch the awards ceremony on TV.

Khan, who owns a shop that sells paan, a betel leaf, tobacco and spice chew, said he's not sure what he'll wear to the Oscars. Looking down at his faded shirt and trousers, he laughed, flashing teeth stained red from betel juice. "I'm thinking jeans and a T-shirt," he said.

Rubina packed her new clothes _ two pairs of jeans, two tops, and white shoes _ and watched her cousin paint fresh swirls of henna on her thin arms. She plans to get her Oscar night outfit in LA.

The filmmakers paid Rubina and Azhar for 30 days of acting work, gave the families a small monthly stipend and set up trust funds that the children can tap when they graduate from high school. Producer Christian Colson has described the trusts as substantial, but declines to reveal the amount.

News of the children's impending departure traveled fast, as a single, exciting word shot down the murky alleys: America.

"They are going to America, that's good," said neighbor Shakil Sheikh, 28, an auto rickshaw driver who said he earns 300 rupees _ about $6 _ a day. He was not quite clear about the benefits of a trip to LA. "We are very happy, but what did they actually gain in terms of money?" he said. "They stay in very poor conditions. They should be taken from this place to a good life."

His wife, Saira Sheikh, 22, who earns 1,000 rupees _ about $20 _ a month as a maid, giggled at the idea of America. "Who will take me?" she asked.

Dozens of wide-eyed boys, the same size as Azhar, vied for attention from journalists. They bared their skinny arms, begging to have stars drawn on their flesh.

Azhar's father, a rail-thin man who relatives say has tuberculosis and drinks too much, spent most of the day squatting outside his home issuing a stream of invective at anyone who got too close.

But even he managed a big thumbs up for his son. "Very very good," he said.

Shameem Ismail, Azhar's mother, said she's always dreamed of going to America. But her excitement was forgotten Friday in the crush of things to do.

"I am tired," she said, gripping her head. "I am suffering from a headache."

By afternoon, the crowd of journalists had thickened. Neighbors gathered around Rubina to watch her dance and sing for the cameras. Nearby, over 100 neighbors and reporters jostled around Azhar's house. Boys hung from a metal fence, straining to see.

Azhar jumped up on a wooden platform and gave a shout of joy.

There he was, a one-time school dropout clad in an old T-shirt and a pair of pink flip-flops, at the center of an ever-expanding universe.

"I am not a hero," he hollered. "I am only a small star."

Then his dad and mom pushed through the crowd and dragged him back home, into their shabby lean-to.

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:02 pm »
That is so unbelievably cute and poignant and sad. Thanks for posting it, John.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 06:12:03 am »
Haing just ome home from India I can say that Slumdog Millionaire seems to capture India perfectly. I loved it.

Kerry - Bride and Prejudie is not a real Bollywood fi - it had UK Film 4 funding I beleive - so its a bit different from other Bolliyeood films. But I think you would very much like Slumdog - its not anything like any other Bollywood movie I've ever seen.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:33 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/arts/music/21rahm.html

‘Slumdog’ Fusionist in Oscar Spotlight

A. R. Rahman, in his natural habitat at the computer, works on five or six films a year, juggling several at a time.
He is a kind of national hero in India.

By BEN SISARIO
Published: February 20, 2009

A. R. Rahman knows how big a deal it would be if he wins an Oscar on Sunday.

One of the most prolific and successful film composers in India, he has three nominations, all for “Slumdog Millionaire”:  best original score and best original song, for both “Jai Ho” and “O ... Saya,” a collaboration with the Sri Lankan-British rapper M.I.A. (The film, by Danny Boyle, has 10 nominations, and last month Mr. Rahman won a Golden Globe for best score.)

“It would be a great honor,” Mr. Rahman said with characteristic diffidence in a phone interview this week from Los Angeles, where he was preparing to perform at the ceremony. “It would help me to do bigger things.”

Ask him what those bigger things might be, however, and he grows even quieter. Naming some Western directors he would like to work with, he sounds distracted, almost bored, as if the future is just too abstract to worry about.

Baz Luhrmann,” he said. A beat, then: “Ridley Scott. I’m a big fan of Ridley.”

A. R. Rahman is one of India’s
most prolific film composers.

But when it comes to his music Mr. Rahman, who is 43 but with his cherubic cheeks could pass for less than 30, turns surprisingly chatty. His work has been in more than 100 films since 1992, and after scoring Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Bollywood-themed stage musical “Bombay Dreams”  in 2002 he enjoyed had a steadily growing profile in the West. One of the first major composers in India to embrace digital technology, he is in his natural habitat at the computer, and he maintains the manic, multitasking rhythm of a true 21st-century techie.

“I like to see a film and then start scoring it in my mind, while doing something unrelated,” he said. “You just grasp a film and start working, and something unpredictable comes out from a third element. The mind, the more active it is, the more productive it is.”

Productivity, along with a gift for golden melody and a cosmopolitan touch that reflects the new, globally conscious India, have given Mr. Rahman, who lives and works in Chennai (the city formerly known as Madras), a kind of national-hero status. “Rah Rah Rahman,” The Times of India  proclaimed on its front page after the Oscar nominations were announced.

“He has a rapper from Tanzania working with him,” Mr. Boyle said, “and fulfilled a mutual desire to work with M.I.A., part Sri Lankan, part London, part New York. Add the house-music disco beats sweeping Bollywood dance lately and you have a real moment of fusion.”

Mr. Rahman works on five or six films a year, juggling several at a time in various stages of completion. While unheard of in Hollywood, that pace is common in India, and Mr. Rahman has made his share of modern classics, like “Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India”  (2001), beloved by Indian and Western critics alike, and “Dil Se”  (1998).

“Slumdog,”  Mr. Rahman said, was created in relatively luxurious circumstances: “I kept three weeks aside. I moved to London and did the whole score there.”

Even by the musical-sponge standards of Indian film, Mr. Rahman has been an especially curious fusionist. The son of a film composer, R. K. Shekhar, he grew up with a record collection that included Indian music and rock; two favorites were the American country singer Jim Reeves and Walter Carlos’s landmark electronic album “Switched-On Bach.”  (Born A. S. Dileep Kumar, he changed his name to Allah Rakkha Rahman when he converted to Sufi Islam in his early 20s.)

Mr. Rahman was playing professional sessions by age 11 and soon had a rock band. He received a scholarship to the Trinity College of Music in London, and upon his return to India began composing commercial jingles. His first film was “Roja,”  and his sophisticated approach quickly revolutionized Indian film music, said David Novak, an ethnomusicologist at the Heyman Center for the Humanities at Columbia University.

“He’s sort of the Peter Gabriel of the Indian film industry,” Mr. Novak said. “He shifted things from a simple East-West mode to a multicultural, global mode, where India and its regional musics are part of a palette of sound from around the world.”

Mr. Rahman’s crossover to Western audiences has not come without bumps. “Bombay Dreams”  was a success in the West End, but on Broadway it closed in eight months and never recouped its $14 million investment.

“I’ve long been impressed by his talent, and I’m so pleased that Hollywood has recognized it,” Mr. Lloyd Webber said. “I’m just disappointed that Broadway didn’t get it when he and I did ‘Bombay Dreams’  there.”

An Oscar would certainly raise Mr. Rahman’s profile in Hollywood, and commentators in India and in the West have said that recognition for “Slumdog”  could help legitimize India’s film talent in general. Only two Indians have received Academy Awards: Bhanu Athaiya won in 1983 for best costume design in “Gandhi,”  and the director Satyajit Ray was given a lifetime achievement award shortly before he died in 1992.

But Mr. Rahman said he does not view the awards as a referendum on Bollywood, and indeed wasn’t getting his hopes up about the contests, in which his competitors include Mr. Gabriel, Danny Elfman and James Newton Howard.

He didn’t have an acceptance speech ready, he said, and his days in Los Angeles before the awards were packed with activity, including a performance of “Jai Ho” on “The Tonight Show”  on Thursday, meetings with various directors and record labels, and filming the video of a Pussycat Dolls remix of “Jai Ho.”

“I like to work fast,” he said.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:01 am »

Child actors from the movie "Slumdog Millionaire."

;D

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 01:06:54 am »

Dev Patel and Freida Pinto.

(I saw them in an interview, together, the video posted somewhere on line, just before the film was to open in the States; he was definitely abashedly admiring her, and she was almost aloof. Look now--she is in love, and so is he. She has broken her previous engagement. She is 24, and he 18. We shall see how long it lasts, but while  it lasts--lovely!)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:58 am »

‘Slumdog’ Wins for Best Original Score
ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
to: A.R. Rahman, “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight)

“Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire”  Named Best Original Song,
ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (Original Song)
to: Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/

February 22, 2009, 11:10 pm
Less Glamour, More Significance
By A.O. Scott

A scene from “Slumdog Millionaire.”

The wins that “Slumdog” has racked up in some of the less glamorous categories— editing, cinematography and score — may be the most significant, since they recognize some of the film’s novelty. Its look, its pacing and its sound are not like the competition, and indeed not like a lot of commercial American movies. And yet it is an entirely accessible movie, not so much self-consciously exotic as effortlessly, eagerly eclectic. So the fast editing, the eye-popping colors and textures, the songs and the music may be, to some audiences and Academy voters, a bit unfamiliar, but they obviously work, extending the vocabulary of what we sometimes parochially think of as mainstream moviemaking in some exciting new directions.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 01:44:46 am »

Danny Boyle Wins Best Director
Danny Boyle wins the Oscar for best director for “Slumdog Millionaire.”
ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
to: Danny Boyle “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 01:50:32 am »

‘Slumdog’ Takes Best Picture

“Slumdog Millionaire” takes best picture.

“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), A Celador Films Production, Christian Colson, Producer

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 02:02:24 am »
Yee-haw and Jai-ho!!!

Offline Fran

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 02:26:49 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 02:35:46 am »

Child actors from the movie "Slumdog Millionaire."
;D

There's just one missing...the adult Salim...was he there??

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:40 am »

I don't know--I hope nobody was excluded, it was too beautiful a night to miss.

Weren't the children handsome? One could never be patronizing, and say, 'gee, for kids from the slum, don't they clean up nice?' They look natural, they look graceful, they look debonair.

Beautiful!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 03:13:19 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/movies/awardsseason/23oscar.html?hp

A ‘Slumdog’ Kind of Night at the Oscar Ceremony

By MICHAEL CIEPLY and DAVID CARR
Published: February 23, 2009

LOS ANGELES
“Slumdog Millionaire”  and its director, Danny Boyle, with their modern-day fairy tale about hope and hard times in the slums of Mumbai, pushed aside big-studio contenders to sweep top honors at the 81st annual Academy Awards on Sunday.

"You dwarf even the sky,” Mr. Boyle said in a tribute to the people of Mumbai, who figured by the thousands in his film. He spoke while accepting the best director award, only minutes before “Slumdog Millionaire” was named best picture, helping give the evening a distinctly international tilt.

Mr. Boyle, 52, has been known for putting an inspirational twist on often dark and sophisticated movies that have included “Trainspotting,”  about heroin addiction, and “Sunshine,”  about sacrifice on a mission to reignite the sun.

The many prizes for “Slumdog Millionaire”  — whose writer, Simon Beaufoy, was honored for best adapted screenplay, among others prizes for the film — completed the film’s steady march past competitors like “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”  from Paramount Pictures and “Frost/Nixon”  from Universal Pictures.

The best picture award was a first for Fox Searchlight, which distributed “Slumdog Millionaire”  in the United States. In the past, the studio appeared to narrowly miss the big prize with a series of comic best picture nominees that included “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Sideways”  and “The Full Monty.”

(....)

Hollywood has been taking on more and more of a global tilt with each passing year, but on this evening it was especially evident in the show and in the awards themselves.

(....)

Mr. Beaufoy, whose “Slumdog” screenplay was based on a novel by Vikas Swarup, rattled off a list of places he never expected to be — “the moon, the South Pole, the Miss World podium and here” — as he accepted that award for his work on a film that captured many of the movie industry’s pre-Oscar honors and was widely viewed as a preordained winner of the evening’s final award, for best picture.

(....)

“Slumdog Millionaire,” though it had no actors nominated for prizes, swept many awards other than those on the top line, including prizes for cinematography, sound mixing, score and film editing. “Slumdog’s” eight Oscars was the largest total won by a single film since “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” won 11 in 2004.

(....)

The glittering event at the Kodak is generally a pretty grown-up affair, but this year children from halfway around the world made a splashy appearance. The kids from “Slumdog Millionaire” had no trouble adjusting to the head-snapping cultural shift from India to the red carpet.

“I want to see Johnny Depp, Robert De Niro, and Jack Nicholson, Robert Downey,” said Ashutosh Lobo Gajiwala, who played the young Salim in the film. “Seeing any of them would be cool.”

He was surrounded by seven co-stars who played the main characters at various ages. When asked how they felt about their film being among the nominated, they all backed up as if on cue and shouted, “Jai ho,” which translates roughly as “Victory.”

Another child from India was Pinki Sonkar, whose cleft palate repair was the story behind “Smile Pinki,” which won the documentary short film category.

(....)

"Camping Out"

Offline Fran

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:38 am »

Yes.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 03:27:48 am »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 03:29:27 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/23/movies/awardsseason/0223-WINNERS_9.html

Danny Boyle accepted the best director award for "Slumdog Millionaire."

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 03:33:39 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/23/movies/awardsseason/0223-OSCARS_9.html

A.R Rahman performs "Jai Ho," the winner of best original song,
from the motion picture "Slumdog Millionaire."

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53:00 am »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/22/oscar-show-pictures-prese_n_168969.html

"Slumdog Millionaire" won for sound mixing

"Slumdog" and Chris Dickens also won best film editing

Simon Beaufoy won the Oscar for best adapted screenplay for "Slumdog Millionaire"

Double winner A.R. Rahman, who won Best Score and Best Song for "Slumdog Millionaire"

Rahman performed in between awards

Reese Witherspoon presented Boyle his award

Danny Boyle wins Best Director for "Slumdog Millionaire"

Dev and Rubina, who played the young Latika and came from Mumbai

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 04:59:27 am »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/22/oscar-show-pictures-prese_n_168969.html

eurydice
For those of you who are celebrating, here's more cause for more joy for you:

London. India-EU Film Initiative has learned that there are serious efforts to turn BAFTA-winning film 'Slumdog Millionaire' into a Stage Musical. Film's screen writer Simon Beaufoy is hugely excited about the project and has proposed to write the stage version in association with AR Rahman, the award-winning composer of the film. The musical will have Rahman's songs and lots of Bollywood-style dances, sources say.

"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 01:56:22 pm »
I think it would make a great Stage Play Musical...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 06:42:03 pm »
I'm very happy that did so well.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/23/movies/awardsseason/0223-SLUMDOG_index.html

‘Slumdog’ Cleans Up at the Oscars

In Mumbai, India, neighbors of Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, a child actor in "Slumdog Millionaire," 
watched the Oscars telecast. The film, a modern-day fairy tale about hope and hard times in the slums of
Mumbai, won eight Oscars, including the prize for best picture, at the 81st annual Academy Awards on Sunday.

Dev Patel, left, plays a boy from Mumbai's poorest district who has landed in the hot seat on the
television game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

Danny Boyle, the director of "Slumdog Millionaire,"  on the set with the actress Freida Pinto, center,
who plays Mr. Patel's love interest. Mr. Boyle won the award for best director.

Cast members, from left, Mr. Patel, Madhur Mittal, Ms. Pinto, Irrfan Khan and Anil Kapoor, arriving
on the red carpet Sunday.

When asked how they felt about their film being among the nominated, the movie's youngest stars all
backed up as if on cue and shouted, "Jai ho," which translates roughly as "Victory."

Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty celebrated their victory in the sound mixing category.
The film also received honors for its score, cinematography, sound editing and film editing.

Mr. Boyle hugged Rubina Ali, who played Ms. Pinto's character
in her younger years. In his acceptance speech, Mr. Boyle paid
tribute to the people of Mumbai, who figured by the thousands in his film.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/movies/awardsseason/24bagg.html?8dpc

Starless Movie’s Starry Night

By DAVID CARR
Published: February 23, 2009

WEST HOLLYWOOD
— There were plenty of happy faces at the Governors Ball on Sunday night, right after the Oscars. Bill Condon and Laurence Mark, the men who produced the show, stood near the center of the room, soaking up compliments about their efforts, while Sean Penn made time for a stream of well-wishers.

Out in the lobby there were yet more questions and photos for many of the winners, including a few who were up past their bedtimes. The kids from “Slumdog Millionaire,”  flown in just a few days before from India, moved as a posse, and the director Danny Boyle placed the statue on Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail’s head for one photo and took turns holding it with the others. He said that although he had managed the children on screen, “I am not going to be the one to tell them it’s time to go to bed.”

It was a little grimmer at some of the tables where studio executives worked their way through dinner and an evening dominated by a little film shot in India that none of them wanted. Tender as it was, the slow-braised short rib must have seemed a little on the chewy side: there is nothing nice to say about being a bystander at your own party.

Although the triumph of “Slumdog Millionaire”  had been writ for most of the season — it won eight Oscars over all, including best picture, director and adapted screenplay — it was still breathtaking to see a starless, partly subtitled film from halfway around the world sneak past so many carefully confected and well-financed studio efforts.

Despite all the planning and guile of production executives, directors, producers and marketing executives, movie magic is still something that occurs in the space between the audience and the screen at the front of the room.

American film is one of the last remaining exports, a kind of bejeweled software that the rest of the world clearly loves. More than half of the money American movies make at the box office comes from elsewhere in the world, and given the downward trajectory of DVD sales domestically, those global markets are only going to grow in importance.

But global imperatives go both ways. When a film with a British director, Indian actors and French co-financing goes home with eight Oscars, it’s hard not to see a message.

“I think it demonstrates that a good story well told, whether it is about someone in Mumbai, China or around the corner, will find an audience,” said Nancy Utley, chief operating officer at Fox Searchlight, the division of 20th Century Fox that found Oscar (and box office) gold after picking up “Slumdog Millionaire.”  She added that the studio specialty division knew it had a winner on its hands when it screen-tested the film in Orange County, Calif. — sort of a ground zero of a conventional American audience — without any marketing or explanation, and the room loved it.

On the way in to the Kodak Theater on the red carpet, Mr. Boyle said there was no way to game your way to an audience. You have to make something worthy, he said, and then hope for lightning to strike.

“The cinema has to always be able to come up with a surprise, to do something that is unexplained, to do something that none of us expected,” Mr. Boyle said. “That’s why what is happening with this movie is exciting for the whole industry. We still have got to be able to surprise.”

Of course surprise is just another name for risk, and studios working into a recession where financing is tough to come by need to find as many sure things as possible. The ascendance of “Slumdog”  comes at an awkward time in other ways.

Studios like Paramount and Warner Brothers have downsized or eliminated their divisions for smaller films, crippling the apparatus that enables talented directors and aggressive producers to create challenging work. The big studios are best at making movies with established stars or concepts, and then pounding them into public consciousness with blunt-force marketing.

When Warner Brothers found itself with “Slumdog Millionaire”  (the studio had closed the indie division that owned the rights), it quickly realized it didn’t have the expertise to market a small movie, one whose audience needs to be nurtured over time. Warner then turned to Fox Searchlight.

After the box office success of “Juno,” “Little Miss Sunshine”   and “Slumdog,”  it is clear that Fox Searchlight is making its own luck. But because there are fewer options, it is the de facto first stop for a certain kind of smaller movie.

Yet there remains a maddening alchemy to this business of making movies that refuses to be pinned down. You can be a complete hero on one weekend and tagged as an idiot the next.

Think about it. People were laughing up their sleeves at Warner Brothers for letting go of “Slumdog.”  But those same Warner executives took the Batman franchise and gave it to a talented director (Chris Nolan) who reinvented it by painting with a very dark palate and an even darker view of human nature.

“The Dark Knight”  just passed a billion dollars. And those geniuses at Fox and Fox Searchlight? Keep in mind that they passed on “Slumdog”  in the first place and spent much of the past year on a can’t-miss, star-infested, Oscar-confected movie called “Australia,”  a film that was so bereft, come awards time, that its star, Hugh Jackman, had to host the Oscars to earn a seat. (He told that joke on himself Sunday night, to big laughs.)

Over the past few years the Oscars have been kidnapped by independent productions and foreign stars and directors, leading some to whine that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has become too tasteful for its own good. But when Hollywood executives look at the winners’ circle, what they are really seeing is a reflection of their better selves.

The mash-up between Bollywood and the classic Hollywood conjured by Mr. Condon and Mr. Mark worked — ratings were up 13 percent, to 36.3 million viewers, over last year’s miserable performance — because while “Slumdog”  might have been conjured elsewhere, its DNA is Hollywood to the core. A big chase to start, lots of star-crossed love in between, and a hug at the end, including a dance number that would not have been out of place at the Kodak last night.

And there’s more where that came from. The winner of the documentary short category, “Smile Pinki,”  was filmed in India as well. Working the carpet, I spent time making nice with its young subject, Pinki Sonkar, radiant after a cleft palate repair and a film about her journey. At the end of the interview with her and the film’s director, Megan Mylan, I awkwardly folded my hands together at my chin and bowed, as I had when the kids of “Slumdog”  came through.

“I’m going to have to learn how to do that,” said a reporter next to me. It will be clumsy for everyone. Hollywood’s efforts to globalize its content as well as its business have been a train wreck for the most part, but for a stagnant industry under duress at home, the rest of the world is waiting for their stories to be told as well.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/26/slumdog-millionaire-kids_n_170106.html

Home To Heroes' Welcome (VIDEO)
by GAUTAM SINGH
February 26, 2009 08:10 AM

From AP:

MUMBAI, India
— The child stars of the Oscar-winning "Slumdog Millionaire"  returned to India on Thursday to a chaotic but rousing heroes' welcome.

Hundreds of well-wishers waited for them at the Mumbai airport, where dozens of police, some heavily armed, were needed to escort the children through the cheering crowds.

The film, a rags-to-riches tale set in Mumbai's slums, was the darling of the Academy Awards, winning eight Oscars, including the award for best picture.

The four children came out with arms around each others shoulders. The only girl, Rubina Ali, 9, clutched a small fluffy brown toy bunny.

They waved and blew kisses to the crowd, showing off their newly acquired red carpet skills.

Ayush Mahesh Khedekar, 8, who plays the youngest version of Jamal, the main character in the film, was hoisted onto someone's shoulders before the children where whisked away in waiting cars without talking to waiting reporters.

It was not immediately clear where they were taken.

With the film's success, the children have become instant celebrities in movie-crazy India, particularly Ali and Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, 10, who were plucked from slums to play parts in the film.

The movie's two Indian Oscar winners, composer A. R. Rahman and sound engineer Resul Pookutty also were met by cheering throngs who showered them in flower petals as they arrived in their home towns.

Rahman, who won Oscars for musical score and the best song "Jai Ho" _ "Be Victorious" in English _ led the dancing crowd in chants of "Jai Ho!"

"They (the fans) almost killed me with their love," he told The Press Trust of India after landing in the southern city of Chennai.

Pookutty was also overwhelmed by his reception.

"I never expected something like this," he told reporters. "This is history being made," he said of his award.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 10:43:08 pm »

Slumdog Director: 'Changing' Child Actors' Lives (1:20)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TclcCV3adgk&eurl=[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Slumdog Millionaire Mountain! There will be spoilers
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:41 am »
Is it too early to start posting spoilers on this topic? I would love to talk about this movie in more detail. Your thoughts, please.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »
why not just open a second thread Lee?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »
Good idea, I will do that!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 08:14:30 am »
Slumdog star's home is demolished
The Mumbai slum home of one of the child stars of the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire has been demolished by city authorities.

Reports say that police smacked the boy, Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, with a bamboo stick before ordering him out.

The authorities claim he and other families were squatting on land that was owned by the government.

He played a younger version of one of the main characters in the film, which scooped eight Oscars.

"We are homeless, we have nowhere to go," Azharuddin said after the demolition.

The family lived in a temporary makeshift shelter made up of plastic sheets over bamboo sticks, in a slum near Bandra East in Mumbai.

He said he had been fast asleep when the demolition squad came and asked them to leave, later tearing down the entire row of tents pitched on the land.

The family claim they had not been informed about the planned demolition.

Municipal official, Uma Shankar Mistry, who was present during the demolition, told the BBC that the authorities only razed temporary and illegal homes which had recently been erected next to the slum.

He said the houses were in an area that was meant for a public garden.

Housing promise

The mother of the child actor said that she did not know what would happen to her family now and that the help promised by local authorities and by the film's makers had not materialised.

"Our house has been broken down by officials. We have not been given any alternate accommodation. Earlier the authorities had said they would give us a house. But I don't think that will happen any more," Shamim Ismail told the BBC.

The families of Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail and co-star Rubina Ali, who played a younger version of the film's female lead, had been promised new accommodation by a local housing authority.

But a decision about whether or not this will go ahead is still pending.

Film director Danny Boyle has strongly denied charges of exploitation.

The film's makers have set up funds to pay for their education and they have been enrolled in school for the first time

They also recently announced that they will donate £500,000 to a charity which will help children living in the slums of Mumbai.

The film has made more than $200m (£140m) in box office takings around the world.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/south_asia/8049735.stm

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 08:51:16 am »
The Mumbai slum home of one of the child stars of the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire has been demolished by city authorities.

The first photo in the series that John posted above

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31838.msg480426.html#msg480426

shows where this was.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Slumdog Millionaire Mountain! ~ Spoilers
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 12:27:52 pm »
My son agreed to see this with me last night. I borrowed a copy from the library. I was pleased that when it came to the next-to-last question about the soccer player, my son saw in Dev Patel's face that he was not faked out by the show host who tried to give him the wrong answer. My son liked the music, the chase scenes, even the romance. He especially liked the happy ending.