Author Topic: Roger Ebert says MILK is the best film of the  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Roger Ebert says MILK is the best film of the
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:30 am »
year. Unfortunately, I have not seen MILK or SLUMDOG so I don't know if Ebert is trying to make up for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN losing.  What do others think? Is MILK that good?

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090125/OSCARS/901259993

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Roger Ebert says MILK is the best film of the
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »
year. Unfortunately, I have not seen MILK or SLUMDOG so I don't know if Ebert is trying to make up for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN losing.  What do others think? Is MILK that good?

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090125/OSCARS/901259993

Milk
is in my top two or three of the year, so I don't think Ebert is out of line. I probably liked it better than Slumdog, actually, though that one was certainly up there, too. Other favorites of mine were Frost/Nixon and Gran Torino. I'm going to see The Wrestler this afternoon, so I'll get back to you about that one.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:11:44 pm »
I stopped listening to Roger Ebert after his antics in 2006 that helped "Crash" end up in the top spot.  I figure anyone who can't see that Brokeback is miles above that movie doesn't know peanuts.

It would be ironic if Heath wins an Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the same year that a gay-themed movie wins Best Picture.  Not likely, but it's weird how things can turn out.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:18:46 pm »
I stopped listening to Roger Ebert after his antics in 2006 that helped end up with "Crash" in the top spot.  I figure anyone who can't see that Brokeback is miles above that movie doesn't know peanuts.

It would be ironic if Heath wins an Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the same year that a gay-themed movie wins Best Picture.  Not likely, but it's weird how things can turn out.

Me Too.  I think he had a lot to do with those idiots choosing that rag piece of crap...

Beautiful mind

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:38:23 am »

Milk
is in my top two or three of the year, so I don't think Ebert is out of line. I probably liked it better than Slumdog, actually, though that one was certainly up there, too. Other favorites of mine were Frost/Nixon and Gran Torino. I'm going to see The Wrestler this afternoon, so I'll get back to you about that one.

Well I like Doubt, Frost/Nixon, Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons and had mixed feelings about Revolutionary Road.
R.R. was probably the most depressing movie I've seen in along time. I going to read the book to see if The Wheelers (RR) are more sympathetic in literature  as they seemed  rather selfish and so above it all in the film.  Gran Torino was a lesser Clint Eastwood film.   Just my opinion.  MILK, I know how it ends. Though I'm told it's not a depressing film.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »
Well I like Doubt, Frost/Nixon, Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons and had mixed feelings about Revolutionary Road.
R.R. was probably the most depressing movie I've seen in along time. I going to read the book to see if The Wheelers (RR) are more sympathetic in literature  as they seemed  rather selfish and so above it all in the film.  Gran Torino was a lesser Clint Eastwood film.   Just my opinion.  MILK, I know how it ends. Though I'm told it's not a depressing film.

Nope, I didn't find Milk particularly depressing.

CCoBB was visually arresting, though for me not particularly dramatically satisfying. A bit too Forrest Gumpy (long, picaresque tale of unusual hero who meets assorted semi-eccentric characters and maintains tragic lifelong romantic/friendship relationship, narrrated by Southern-accented hero). But whoever did the makeup should get an Oscar for sure. And I'm not sure it would have worked with many other actors; much of the drama, for me, comes from waiting for Brad to develop his full Pittiful beauty. What if, say, John C. Reilly had played the role?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:01:51 pm »
I stopped listening to Roger Ebert after his antics in 2006 that helped "Crash" end up in the top spot.  I figure anyone who can't see that Brokeback is miles above that movie doesn't know peanuts.

What did he say about BBM? I just read his review of the movie and it's very positive.  ???
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:58 pm »
What did he say about BBM? I just read his review of the movie and it's very positive.  ???

It's not that he didn't like BBM, but both he and his partner Roeper got on a "Crash" high not long before the voting ended and started saying how they thought it should be the one to get the Oscar.  I've never forgiven them for that.  Maybe they succumbed to the politics of it all, I don't know.  I still hold that any critic worth his salt had to be nuts to look at both of those pictures and decide that BBM wasn't the superior film.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:11 pm »
It's not that he didn't like BBM, but both he and his partner Roeper got on a "Crash" high not long before the voting ended and started saying how they thought it should be the one to get the Oscar.  I've never forgiven them for that.  Maybe they succumbed to the politics of it all, I don't know.  I still hold that any critic worth his salt had to be nuts to look at both of those pictures and decide that BBM wasn't the superior film.

I generally respect Roger Ebert and don't think he seems the type to be swayed by politics (though some say that his wife being black may have had something to do with it). I just think that in this particular case, he went a little crazy.

Most if not all of the film critics I like go crazy from time to time. In a couple of cases, this even involved Brokeback Mountain. Stephanie Zacharek of Salon -- a good critic and normally fairly reliable -- actually gave it a mediocre review.

I guess I'm not that surprised if I liked Gran Torino and some critic didn't. In the case of BBM, it seems particularly shocking -- how could they fail to appreciate the best movie in the history of cinema? But oh well. If I like the critic otherwise, I just try to forget about it.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »

I generally respect Roger Ebert and don't think he seems the type to be swayed by politics (though some say that his wife being black may have had something to do with it). I just think that in this particular case, he went a little crazy.

Most if not all of the film critics I like go crazy from time to time. In a couple of cases, this even involved Brokeback Mountain. Stephanie Zacharek of Salon -- a good critic and normally fairly reliable -- actually gave it a mediocre review.

I guess I'm not that surprised if I liked Gran Torino and some critic didn't. In the case of BBM, it seems particularly shocking -- how could they fail to appreciate the best movie in the history of cinema? But oh well. If I like the critic otherwise, I just try to forget about it.

Stephanie Zacharek literally gives me hives.  And her Brokeback review caused me to not renew my Salon  subscription.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:51:10 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"