Author Topic: Heath Ledger in Vanity Fair; slightly recycled  (Read 20278 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger in Vanity Fair; slightly recycled
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:32:16 pm »
I'm no purist about pop culture, but I know so many "memories" I have exist only because of their reinforcement with photos - the way kids "remember" events from when they were young 'cause they heard a story that went along with a picture, and their memory is of that, not the actual event.

So, when photos represent a reality that never existed, it's a bit like creating history and memories that exist, in fact, only in the present.  As a strictly artistic expression, I'm fine with it.  But these photos aren't being offered as art, so it seems odd otherwise.

It's the pictorial equivalent of fiction, right?  But when you write fiction, there's no assumption of correlation with fact or reality.  With a photographic image, it implies some sort of equivalence between what is seen and what actually exists/existed.

Maybe that's just such a 10-years ago way of looking at photos?  I think the photo is compelling, but still creepy to me.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »
And thanks Penthesilea for posting the picture. 
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:49 am »
I'm only just seeing this.  One thought I had while reading through it is that Vanity Fair was pretty good to Heath.  Wasn't that where several photos, the one of him grabbing the statue's butt and saying something like the day I quit having fun I'll walk away, and the one of him leaning back against the wall with his pubic hair showing at the top of his pants come from?  They featured him sort of early in his career in a pretty big way.