Author Topic: We all know the grief, but how about the humor, the fun stuff?  (Read 12392 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: We all know the grief, but how about the humor, the fun stuff?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:06 am »
Katie, I thought the same thing as you did when I saw the movie.  I'm wondering though how in touch Ennis was with this "being in love" at that time.   

I get the impression, from the way many men are, and I am one of them, that Ennis' grumbling about the loss of pay is only surface and his true feelings are more connected with his having to leave a truly rich and pleasant experience with Jack.  Men are often like that when they aren't aware or connected to deeper feelings they can't or won't admit.  A man will  bitch about the loss of pay when really he's lost his heart but can't say it because it's to another man! 

So, you and twisteddude may both be correct about Ennis on different levels.

Rayn

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:20:26 am »
O.K. I'm gonna excplain ONE MORE TIME. Ennis arrives in camp to find Jack CHEERFULLY striking the--set (tent). Jack doesn't seem to have a care in the world (his feelings are hurt when Ennis refuses his loan of money). That's because Jack doesn't realize that Ennis's plans for the rest of his life have not changed a bit. he may not feel he has a lock on Ennis, but is far from feeling that the end of the summmer on the mouintain is the end of theire being together (for some years).

Ennis, on the other hand, immediaterly gets mad as hell, ostensibly at Aguirre's cutting them out of a month's pay, but actually at having the summer with Jack cut short---and Ennis knows, as Jasck does not, that Ennis's plans for gettingt married have not changed one bit. That's what engaged guys do; get married...so Ennis is miserable, and Jack remains cheerful --until Ennis socks him hard when Jack is trying to console him...at this point, Jack realizes that Ennis is ...saying goodbye, with a wallop-. There ain't gonna be n0 more Jack and Ennis.

I hope that's clear as mud. befroe the sock, Jack doesn't know exactly what's going to happen next, buyt he's confident it includes the two of them being together somehgow. Ennis is miserable because--through his own doing--he's not going to be seeing Jack anymore. The sock communicates this to Jack.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 01:06:21 am »
I understand how you see it, Twistedude, so no explaining is needed for me at least.   But how does one explain Ennis's surprise that is took Jack so long to contact him?  That's in the Motel scene after the reunion, he says, "I figured you was sore over that punch I gave you." i.e.  Ennis thought Jack was angry at him for the whallop. 

As I see it, Ennis  did want to see Jack again, but wanted Jack to contact him first. That is why he's soooo very happy to see him in the reunion. 

It is Ennis, afterall, after years, who pulls Jack into the stairway to kiss him with all the pent up and stored lust and longing he had saved for Jack.   That's how I see it.  There is always room for different views and not everyone has to agree. 

That is what art is all about.  It's an individual and group experience as well.     Can we get back to the topic now???  Humor in the Movie, please?

Peace,
Rayn

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 01:34:14 am »
I like the look on Ennis' face when Jack said,"Let's get, unless you want to sit around tying knots all day."  I could imagine Ennis thinking,"Cocky littly smart ass."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 11:26:11 am »
Yes, right from the start, Jack's spunkiness and Ennis' more humble approach to things and people are clear and the humor the two create is too.   Good example, TJ.

Rayn

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 05:17:51 pm »
I like the look on Ennis' face when Jack said,"Let's get, unless you want to sit around tying knots all day."  I could imagine Ennis thinking,"Cocky littly smart ass."

Oh yes, and how symbolic, that the same theme continued throughout the whole movie.....Jack up and ready to move on, while Ennis, still tying knots, holding back making sure everything was "tied up" properly.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 11:31:08 pm »
I thought it was kind of funny to see Ennis get drunk and on all fours.  He was usually the more reserved one, but not here.  I also like it when he points to the sheeps, like he's gonna go there just by pointing.

I also laugh when Ennis almost trip over their grill when Jack invites him into the tent just before FNIT.  I could imagine if there's a wall there, he'll run right through it.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 12:47:24 pm »
Yes, the tripping over and knocking things as he stumbles to the tent is some fun "business" that was well done. 

Rayn

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:10 pm »
Just thought of a funny bit, that I always notice......

When Aguire throws Ennis the watch, and he tries to put it on his wrist and it is too small to go around......the look on his face is gorgeous......

Oh  so that is why he didn't put the watch...i wonder where he kept it then.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 06:50:46 am »
Oh  so that is why he didn't put the watch...i wonder where he kept it then.

Maybe thats what Jack was reaching for, in TS1......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection