Author Topic: BAFTAs  (Read 2983 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
BAFTAs
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:15:04 pm »
Was anyone else psyched that Mickey Rourke won for "The Wrestler" last night?

I saw it a couple weeks ago and am still completely blown away by his performance.  One idiot woman walking out of the theater said to her companion, "He was just being himself - that wasn't really acting."

Uh - WHAT???

Yes, there are obvious parallels between the character and Mickey's real life.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that he laid himself bare, literally and figuratively, in this performance.  It was quite honestly the most fearless performance I've seen since Ellen Burstyn's in Aranofsky's "Requiem for a Dream."  He laid every single flaw he has physically and emotionally right out there for everyone to see and dissect.

By the end, I had come to care so much about the character, that like our beloved Ennis Del Mar, he became real to me.  His losses became my losses, and my heart ached (and still aches) for him.

Give that man an Oscar (not that I care, but, oh, hell, I guess I do), for God's sake!!!
No more beans!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: BAFTAs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:54:26 pm »
The Wrestler is released here next wednesday. I'm planning to go see it.

His acceptance speech was good.  ;D And Jonathan Ross' comment afterwards that 'Mickey Rourke is now suspended for 3 months' really made me laugh.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: BAFTAs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:01 pm »
I really enjoyed watching the BAFTAs last night...did anyone else see it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"