Author Topic: Deliciously Gross Food  (Read 6369 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Deliciously Gross Food
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »
Well I beg to differ, some and I do mean some looked really great in a kind of gross type of way.
Hey don't knock 'em bugs till you try them!  That sweet pizza had my name on it as did the deep fried chicken skin. YUM  ;)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 09:42:00 pm »
most of my experimental cooking can be considered deliciously gross food.  ;D

oh, and never underestimate the appeal of rum and root beer.

Heathen

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »
Back in England I used to love something called spam fritters. They are basically slices of spam, covered in batter and deep fried. I would get them from the chip shop, along with battered fried potatoes and just to finish the heart attack, pineapple fritters, yep, you've guessed it, pineapple in batter, deep fried and then coated in syrup.

Oh I could just eat it all now. I had to go on my 10 mile uphill bicycle ride first to build up an appetite. I never finished it all, but always managed to eat some of all of it. Chip sandwiches are another fave.Chips or fries, in between 2 slices of bread and butter.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
Oh I love fritters.

When I was a kid, every Sunday we had a hot roast dinner, or corned meat...and Monday night we always had fritters made out of the left over meat from the Sunday.

And pineapple and banana fritters make a lovely desert.

And hot chip sandwiches are still a favourite, that we often have when the grandkids are here.
Fresh bread, and lots of butter, that melts with the hot chips....mmmmmmmmm...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:41 pm »
Oh I love fritters.

When I was a kid, every Sunday we had a hot roast dinner, or corned meat...and Monday night we always had fritters made out of the left over meat from the Sunday.

And hot chip sandwiches are still a favourite, that we often have when the grandkids are here.

Oh friend, what are you doing to me !!!  You are sooo right, the butter does melt and runs down your chin.

One thing we get here, is deep fried ice cream, OMG so good. Matt and I drool over it.
Should have gone to Australia, could have still got my fritters and I bet you can get a decent curry there.

Deep fried, twix, mars bars you name it, that was a trend started in Glasgow, and has moved to NYC. So perhaps some Brokies can try the decadent goodies in May.

I  made chip butties as they are called in the north of England for my kids the other day. It was love at first sight, hubby was aghast !!!

My mum used to make rissoles with the leftovers from Sunday dinner. Basically the meat was minced, then the left over potatoes were mashed, to this mix was added dark green fine chopped cooked  cabbage. The whole lot was shaped into a patty and fried. I do it too now !!!

OMG I do believe I might actually be drooling now.Steamed treacle sponge with lashings of syrup on top and the whole lot topped with fresh custard.

Right enough now, I will have to go and raid the kitchen.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »
They just now showed on the local news this man up in Grand Rapids eating a hamburger as big as a large pizza. They said the hamburger, loaded with all the goodies, contained 5000 calories. They gave him an hour to finish the monster burger and he failed. I think he ended up eating just half of it, which is quite a feat in and of itself. That hamburger was MASSIVE!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 01:47:36 am »
Here it is!

Look at the size of that sucker!

http://www.theindychannel.com/health/19012067/detail.html

Well, I guess it isn't quite as big as a large pizza - it looked very big when I watched it on the news tonight. But STILL!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:37:04 am »

I  made chip butties as they are called in the north of England for my kids the other day. It was love at first sight, hubby was aghast !!!

Ladies, ladies I am soo with you - nothing like chip butties and fritters.

As a kid my Mum used to take left over mashed potatoe, add a little sugar and flour and then make potato cakes - put them in the oven just like biscuits (Uk) or cookies for our US friends. Turn them over once one side was brown. Take them out of the oven, slit the centre and put a knob of butter. Then the butter really does run your chin.