Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 57456 times)

injest

Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2009, 09:35:47 am »
Thanks for sharing your story FrontRanger.  It certainly is similar to my situation.  I have a feeling the same thing is happening at my old job, with young person in it, trying to do it all, now that I'm gone.  Oh well.  Sorry if I'm grumpy and grouchy around here lately.  I'm just going through a lot of emotions these days - anger, sadness, desperation, hoplessness, sometimes even happiness that I'm not at that job anymore, and actually enjoying searching for something new.  If I knew that I wouldn't eventually run out of money, I might enjoy job searching even more!  I'll keep searching.. . . . . and searching.

you'll see, Dobie!! you'll get a new job and will wonder why you even cared about the old one at all. It will all work out in the end, don't be afraid. Take good care of you and be kind and forgiving to yourself, you have a right to feel all this stuff...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:41 am »
I havent noticed you being grump, but if you cant be grumpy here where can you be!?!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »
Thanks my friend Kelda.  I just get irritated more easily these days, and frustrated with people lately.  It never bothered me before, but now I hate when people start complaining about their jobs - at least they have one!  I'd like to have a job to complain about!   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2009, 08:52:52 pm »
That bothers me sometimes too. I was out to lunch with a friend the other day and he complained that his raise was only 5%. I definitely had to bite my tongue then.

I created this space for us to be miserable together if we need to, so hold forth all you like!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2009, 08:56:57 pm »
you'll see, Dobie!! you'll get a new job and will wonder why you even cared about the old one at all. It will all work out in the end, don't be afraid. Take good care of you and be kind and forgiving to yourself, you have a right to feel all this stuff...

Thanks injest, for the positive thoughts and kind words.  I'm trying to keep thinking along those lines, but sometimes it's reeeaally hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:02 pm »
Hey there, Dobie,

I'm just catching up with this thread, and I'm sorry to hear about your layoff.  I'm glad you felt comfortable sharing your story here, and definitely feel free to vent all you need.  The job market these days really stinks in numerous ways in this economy, and to be in land management work - sounds like a recipe for disaster, to me.

Hang in there and do your best to be good to yourself and not get discouraged.  I think it's an especially good idea in this climate to get in touch with your contacts from previous jobs and utilize those connections if at all possible.

In the past, I've always found my (software) jobs online.  This past February, I sent out 5-10 resumes a day and made as many phone calls, but it was a mostly random phone call to a friend and former colleague (letting her know that she might be called for a reference) that led me back to my old job in Boston.  You just never know.

Take care and keep us posted, Dobie,
Lynne
 :-* :-* :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »
Thanks Lynne.  I appreciate your thoughts.  I actually sort of fell into the job at the land development office.  I've been a legal assistant for 25 years at different offices, and the attorney I worked for at the job before the land development co. was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and he decided to sell the building he owned that we were in, split up the law firm, and basically retire.  So he sold the the building in January, 2008 to the land develoment company, and the other attorneys in the firm went their separate ways, and I was facing unemployment.  I figured that the land development company would need someone there to "man" the office, so I asked them if they would consider hiring me on, which they did, after they interviewed me.  It worked out well because I could stay right where I was in the same spot in the building, and I felt like I was an asset to the company, being that I was famililar with the building itself, and all the different companies servicing the building such as lawn care, pest control, electricity, water, telephone, cable service, etc. that the building already utiized that we had to have changed into the new building owner's name.  Anyway, for the last 14 months it worked out well, but the real estate/land development field is not exactly doing real well these days, hence my unexpected layoff.  So, I'm still searching. . . .

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:57 am »
That bothers me sometimes too. I was out to lunch with a friend the other day and he complained that his raise was only 5%. I definitely had to bite my tongue then.

Oi, how insensitive can you get!  :o  ???

I wouldn't be having lunch with him again any time soon. ...  >:(  :-\  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:34 pm »
Oh, well, I think I finally said, "Care to trade places with me?" and that put it all in perspective!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2009, 05:52:48 pm »
Oh, well, I think I finally said, "Care to trade places with me?" and that put it all in perspective!

Great answer!  I bet he didn't know what to say to that!