Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 57535 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
Great article about a mother of two in the process of re-entering the job force:

Strikeout Zone: After 16 Interviews and No Offers...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2009, 07:29:14 pm »
That bothers me sometimes too. I was out to lunch with a friend the other day and he complained that his raise was only 5%. I definitely had to bite my tongue then.

I created this space for us to be miserable together if we need to, so hold forth all you like!!

Well I have come here to be miserable and then recharge my batteries. I was not canned per se, but my hours were altered so radically that it was a given I would not be able to work them and so hand in my notice.I am now for the first time in my working life, officially unemployed and have been for a week. I thought it was hard working as a register girl in a store I used to own, but it beats the hell out of not working. Way too much time on my hands.
I will go in tomorrow to collect my last pay cheque.
So it's all hands on the pump and try to find a new business before our Visa runs out. It's surprised me how much I miss the structure of going into work.I miss the human contact and my little fan club. I miss everyone saying, I love your accent where's it from.
I have changed so much in the past year I hardly recognise myself. I used to be a little supercilious I suspect, when I was in practice back in England. I was probably not much better when we first came here and I was out to tennis or lunch every day.It was only skin deep and more of a defence mechanism to cloak my insecurities,but it was there and only one person ever saw through it all to the deeply insecure woman beneath.

Now when I have every reason to feel insecure, I am actually for the first time being the real me. I like being with people, in any capacity, working the register has shown me that. I don't need to hide behind titles and labels anymore, I actually quite like me and what is more, other people like me too. What a revelation as I enter my 50th year.
Heath and the events of that January day, coincided with what would turn out to be a seismic shift in my lifestyle and although the past year has been quite extraordinarily difficult at times, I find I am increasingly working through the problems, rather than hiding behind yet another disguise
It has also shown me that what I want more than anything, is for my children to love themselves,not in an arrogant aren't I wonderful way, more a quiet acceptance of the good inherent in all of them.
If I can instill that in each of them, I will consider it a job well done. Speaking of jobs, I applied for post as an Optical assistant today, just in case we don't find a business as quickly as I would like. We cannot live off the capital we have left for too long or there will be no money left to buy a business with.

BTW Dobie1018 I sympathise with you. The job market in Florida is dire and there is very little in the way of employee rights.I was so shocked when we came here and first had our store.The existing staff had no breaks, lunch anything, it was incomprehensible to me. It is also one of the most sexist places I have ever been.I walked out of several car dealers, because they simply would not talk to me.Men work and the little lady keeps house, archaic.

I am over it now, and let it rile me less, but can really see where you are coming from. I hope you have some luck soon in the job market.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »
Thanks Optom, for your kind words and encouragement, and I am sorry to hear of your job situation.  I can certainly relate to your feelings and thoughts.  I'm still searching.  I have faith that something will come along soon. 

Thanks Front-Ranger for the link to the interesting article.  At least that lady in the article has had quite a few interviews.  I've only had 2 in 2 months.  When you're picked for an interview it gives you hope and boosts your spirits.  Even though she may not have a job yet, she's keeping a positive attitude, which is what I'm trying to do.   

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »
Just wanted to report that I finally landed a job!  It's with a law firm that I worked for about 4 years ago.  I maintained friendships with the other legal assistants who worked there, and told them a few months ago that I was job-searching.  Lo and behold, one of the girls decided to leave and look for a new job in the Orlando area.  She got a new job very quickly and the office manager at the law firm phoned me to asked me if I was interested in coming in and speaking with the attorneys about stepping in and taking over her job.  Of course I said yes, and they agreed to hire me on.  That's it!  I am now officially employed!  I started there last week, and now I have to get back into the swing of working again, after being off for three and a half months!  Thanks friends for your support and words of wisdom and encouragement!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2009, 09:00:39 pm »
Way to go, Dobie! I'm so happy for you! Hey, this club is shrinking, so stay in touch!!

I think I'm going to go do a little dance with my blanket, now!!

Me, I'm getting ready for a Fourth-of-July week-long trek to Wyoming, no time for working!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2009, 09:11:19 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!  Lucky you - going on a week-long trip to Wyoming.  Have a great trip and BE SAFE!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2009, 09:57:40 pm »
Congrats, Dobie!!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »
Thanks Shasta! :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »
Just wanted to report that I finally landed a job!  It's with a law firm that I worked for about 4 years ago.  I maintained friendships with the other legal assistants who worked there, and told them a few months ago that I was job-searching.  Lo and behold, one of the girls decided to leave and look for a new job in the Orlando area.  She got a new job very quickly and the office manager at the law firm phoned me to asked me if I was interested in coming in and speaking with the attorneys about stepping in and taking over her job.  Of course I said yes, and they agreed to hire me on.  That's it!  I am now officially employed!  I started there last week, and now I have to get back into the swing of working again, after being off for three and a half months!  Thanks friends for your support and words of wisdom and encouragement!

Congratulations!!! Thats brilliant news!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »

Congrats Dobie!!!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie