Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 57553 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:14 pm »
I've got two interviews this week -- one today and one tomorrow. The first in well over a year! More later. Gotta go get ready for today's.

Yay Katherine!!  :D   I'm interested to hear what kind of jobs they are.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2009, 09:36:14 pm »
Sorry and best of luck to all others who don't have it as lucky as I, during these horrible times.  Maybe people can post what careers they had or want to have in future, just in case some of the rest of us know of openings outside our own personal line of experience?

Mandy, you worked in aerospace purchasing, right?  Do you know anybody in the Boulder area?  I used to work in marketing in a related field and was really into it.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:57 am »
Hey Laura, yes I have 17+ years in aerospace purchasing and supplier management.  I have a cousin in Colorado Springs, but know no one in Boulder.  I'm a little confused by your post.  Are you saying you know someone in aerospace purchasing in Boulder?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 02:29:28 pm »
Good luck to everyone on the interviews!  Sending good thoughts in the various directions.   ;)

I am still diligently sending out resumes for positions advertised on the big job boards like dice.com, indeed.com, monster.com, etc...

(Laura - thanks very much for the Denver link...I swear I'm going to get to that in the next day or so.)

I think what makes this job search different from the last couple is that because it's really an employer's market this time around, I'm going to have to put much more effort into follow-through.  In the past, it's been enough to click the 'Apply Now' button, send a resume and cover letter, and let the phone ring.

Not so true now, although I've had a few calls from recruiters telling me they are submitting me for various positions, asking me to confirm my rate, etc...

To make things happen this time, I think that a few days after applying, I need to take the initiative to work the phone.  I started this week and was mostly met with 'Thank you.'  'You've been submitted.'  'The employer is not going to start reviewing resumes until next week.'  etc...

I'm wondering what the best time frame for these follow up phone calls is....one or two days seems too soon...longer than a week seems too late.  I'm going to go with three to four days, see how that works out.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »
I say a week, Lynne, if it is in IT recruitment.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:45 pm »
I say a week, Lynne, if it is in IT recruitment.

You may be right.  Twice when I've waited a week though I got 1) The position has been filled. and 2) The requisition has been removed.   :-\

It's a fine line to walk.  You don't want to be a PITA, but you want to convey above average interest...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »
Hey there, buds!

I don't want to hog this thread, but I had a really positive experience tonight that I thought I'd share.  I'm feeling ever-so-much better about things.

First, I had a call from a recruiter asking me about a position that would involve getting back into physics.  We spoke for awhile, and it reached the point that he wanted me to send him my references.

I have my references all tidy in their own Word document, but because I've only notified the software types that I'm seeking new work, I thought I should give those from the physics era fair warning that they might be getting questions about me.

I called Jeanne, who was my project manager for GOES, as well as a good friend, and we had the *best* conversation.  As a rule, we email and talk a few times a year, see each other more rarely, but in past years it's been purely a social connection because we weren't in the same fields anymore, though we'd always catch up on colleagues we had in common.

She was thrilled to hear from me and even more excited that I'm interested in getting back into technology and willing to come back to Boston.  It turns out that she has a pile of open requisitions and wanted my resume sent to her immediately.  It was such a great conversation.  I guess, I knew theoretically that going back might be possible, but I didn't realize at that visceral level that I was actually missed and remembered for doing good work.

I don't know how it will all turn out, but part of me would love to get back to Boston.  I've never pursued it because I wanted to get some experience in the private sector, and this will mean going back to defense work....I guess we'll see.

The moral of this long story, tho, is seek out people you used to work with, see what they're doing now.  Even if they can't put you back to work, it may provide much-needed encouragement and self-confidence.

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:17 am »
Lynne, I'm sharing your excitement.  Mostly, because you might come to Boston!  Yay!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:24 pm »
Lynne, I'm sharing your excitement.  Mostly, because you might come to Boston!  Yay!

Thanks, Paul!  You're a sweetie.  I'm getting my hopes up pretty high here.

Software is good, but it's not very challenging anymore, and accounting software is beyond dull.

I didn't realize how much I wanted to be back in technology until speaking with Jeanne last night, and I awoke this morning with the same sense of anticipation.  I checked my phone and she'd sent email that she's giving my resume to her manager along with her recommendation.  I know him and have worked for him at various points in the past, so he should be amenable.

Everybody cross fingers, toes and eyeballs, please.  ::) 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:07 pm »
Keeping my fingers crossed for ever'one.  :-*
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."