Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 57610 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:39 pm »
I'll even put on my Cross Your Heart bra!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 07:54:52 pm »
Yay Katherine!!  :D   I'm interested to hear what kind of jobs they are.

One is writing/editing articles for a trade pub, the other is writing/editing general-interest lifestyle articles for a marketing company that sells them as website content or newspaper advertorials.

They pay about the same -- not bad, not great. A little less than I was earning 12 years ago, when I left newspapers. Both are in sort of bleak buildings located in suburban industrial parks.

The marketing one has much better benefits than the trade pub -- much better than I ever got in my newspaper jobs, in fact. It's also in a better location for commuting. So I'm rooting more for that one.

I won't know more for at least a couple of weeks. Neither job really sets my pulse racing, as you can probably tell, but the prospect of a steady decent income is nice. Neither are jobs I would have considered applying for in my 30s. But back then, newspapers were going to last forever and there wasn't an economic crisis and I wasn't something of a displaced at-home mom. I just read a NYT article about people who've gone  from six-figure executive jobs to hourly-pay work, including one in a janitorial job, so compared to that I'd feel lucky.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:20 pm »
Either would be lucky to have you, Katherine. You can use the word fecund in a sentence!  ;D  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »
Either would be lucky to have you, Katherine. You can use the word fecund in a sentence!  ;D  ;)

Thanks, Jeff! Maybe I'll email them and promise that if they hire me I'll be their most fecund employee. In terms of work output, I mean.  ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:04 pm »
One is writing/editing articles for a trade pub, the other is writing/editing general-interest lifestyle articles for a marketing company that sells them as website content or newspaper advertorials.

They pay about the same -- not bad, not great. A little less than I was earning 12 years ago, when I left newspapers. Both are in sort of bleak buildings located in suburban industrial parks.

The marketing one has much better benefits than the trade pub -- much better than I ever got in my newspaper jobs, in fact. It's also in a better location for commuting. So I'm rooting more for that one.

I won't know more for at least a couple of weeks. Neither job really sets my pulse racing, as you can probably tell, but the prospect of a steady decent income is nice. Neither are jobs I would have considered applying for in my 30s. But back then, newspapers were going to last forever and there wasn't an economic crisis and I wasn't something of a displaced at-home mom. I just read a NYT article about people who've gone  from six-figure executive jobs to hourly-pay work, including one in a janitorial job, so compared to that I'd feel lucky.

I think Jeff's right, Katherine.  Either would be lucky to have you, and not just because of your fecundity.   ::)

I hope you get both and then get to choose the one you want with the better benefits!   8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
If it's any consollation, I have gone from 6 figures and all the perks to an hourly rate, clocking in and weekly pay.I still consider myself lucky to have any fixed dependable income in these uncertain economic times.

I have not earned so little since I was at University, doing summer jobs.Yet there are 50 people waiting to step into my shoes.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:24 pm »
Tomorrow is the big interview day for the job I think I really really want.
Please send me some mojo...

O0

Heathen

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2009, 08:06:32 pm »
Tomorrow is the big interview day for the job I think I really really want.
Please send me some mojo...

O0

;D Best of luck, enjaRouxB!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »
Give 'em hell, Miss Roux!