Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17310 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
What was your first reaction?
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »
A friend and I were talking about the movie today in work, (shocking, I know) and she was telling me about her first thought when the movie ended.
So now I'm curious about all of you guys...so....

What was the first thing that popped into your head at the end of the movie the first time you saw it?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:31:50 pm »
Absolutely no words, (that whole stunned reaction), just the heartbreaking visual  - Ennis without Jack, shirts, postcard, closet, view of wind-blown green and gold and blue through the small window.  It filled my head and literally stayed before my eyes, and made driving home difficult.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
I had a pit in my stomach that stayed with me the rest of the night and kept me awake until morning. no words. I went with my brother and cousin. one of them asked what I thought, and all I could manage was "that was amazing." Usually I'm the chattier of us three and usually the more analytical, but this time, nothing. I just couldn't process it all, much as I tried. The delayed reaction that many people talked about was exactly what happened to me. The full emotional impact didn't hit me for days. When it did, I cried like I hadn't done since I was a toddler. Just the whole convulsion and not being able to control any part of me. Good thing, I didn't have to go to the bathroom at the moment, or I'd have wet myself too.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 08:47:56 pm »
I will have to preface this by saying that I read the story when it was 1st published in the New Yorker (I'm always braggin about this, forgive me) and when I heard that a movie was being made, I thought, that's not possible! So my reaction at the end of the film when I 1st saw it was simply, thank you Heath Ledger. W/o him it never would have happened.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »
Honestly, I didn't have any special reaction at first. I saw it with a friend, and on the way home we talked about how good it was, but I just thought it was like any other movie that I really like. I had to go back to school the next day (I was home for winter break), and over the next week I realised that I was still thinking about it. It took a second trip to see it to really understand how amazing it was. No, I take that back, I'm not even sure I understand now, after 17 viewings. I'm just glad to have found you all to know that I'm not alone!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:06:30 pm »
I was numb-I knew I had just seem something monumental-something destined to change my life. I went with a friend and we really didn't talk much about it. I knew that I would see it again and again.

Heathen

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:19:53 pm »
Ray and I are going to see the movie today (my 23rd viewing) Have I said this already - like a billion times?!??!!?!  I'm saying it again cause I'm SO excited!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My first reaction was "oh my god". I knew I would love this movie cause i had been obsessively hunting any information about it on the net prior to watching it, but I wasn't prepared for how deeply it hit me. I have never cried (more like sobbed) so much in a movie before in my life.  I knew I had watched something truly special and I couldn't get it out of my head. I started dissecting it piece by piece - the really obvious stuff first: great cinematography, INCREDIBLE acting... Okay, I'd heard Heath was good, REALLY good and everybody seemed to be saying it. When i hear stuff like that, my skepticism kicks in and I start thinkin "how good could he be?". Question was answered soon enough.  Anybody else forget it was Heath Ledger?  All I saw was Ennis Del Mar... He transported me.  I didn't quite get that same reaction from Jake - but he still showed what an incredible actor he is - when actors can convey clear meaning from gestures and facial expressions, they're GOOD.

And the days afterwards, I broke it down even more and when it became apparent that those I saw it with liked it alright, but weren't hung up on it, like I was, I started seeking out like-minded souls on the internet to chat with! :P

And that's how come.. me end up here.. *sips whiskey*  ;D
Chut up!

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:03:10 pm »
Like most people here, I couldn't think anything after seeing BBM the first time. I made the mistake of seeing it alone. No tears, neither during the film, nor after it was over. I was stunned, but didn't realize it then. I guess it was a defense mechanism. I remember feeling confused and numb, no thoughts about the film, heck, no thoughts at all. Like a computer that froze due to a system error. I idn't feel like drinking or eating or keeping company, not even talking to anyone. The Saturday night britcoms on PBS didn't seem funny anymore, reading was impossible, I couldn't bear to hear any music. I went to bed and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep. The next day (Sunday), this sadness and despair crept up on me - I realized I was mourning for Ennis and Jack's unlived happiness.  

I remember learning once that bruises that develop late and slowly are a sign of a heavy blow that caused a deep wound, and they take a long time to heal. Well, ...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:04:51 pm by monimm18 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:20 pm »
I went with my mom on New Year's Eve, and when it was over at first we couldn't say anything. 

Then when we finally could, all we could say was "That was really really sad."  We talked a little about it on the way home, but not much, we were still kind of somber and flustered.

The next day my dad called and asked me how it was, and this time all I could say was "It was really really good."  To which he responded "That's exactly what your mother said." 

By the afternoon I was on the IMDb message board - and pretty soon I couldn't say enough!  I couldn't get it out of my mind, and once I started reading and posting, I couldn't wait to see it again.  And the rest is history! :) 

Oh yeah, and my mom's seen it four times total now too.  And she almost never sees movies in the theater anymore, let alone more than once.  Brokeback got her good, too, and it's been real nice being able to share my obsession with her.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:20:58 pm by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
Wow.
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:51:30 pm »
my first time seeing it I had no reaction at first.  I just sat there and thought to myself, "well, that was alright."  Then about 20 minutes later while driving home it hit me and I started sobbing so hard I had to pull over on the side of the highway.  I've been a wreck ever since.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 01:06:22 am »
Well I had read the story so I was prepared for sad.  What I was not prepared for was Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal  Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway...the way they disappeared and gave life to these characters, the way Diana and Osanna and Larry McMurtry had fleshed out the story and the deft and gentle vision that Ang Lee brought to it.

I was blown away, I wept, that was almost 5 months ago now and I still haven't recovered. I don't think I ever will and I thank God for it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 01:18:49 am by vkm91941 »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:12:04 am »
vic I am with you there.  I had also read the story, though it had been quite a while.  I was shocked at how completley the actors dissappeared into their characters.  The first viewing I was especially taken with Heath.  As far as I'm concerned, he WAS Ennis Del Mar, I did not see Heath Ledger on screen.  He blew me away.  The next viewing I realized how much I had ignored Jake's performance because of Heath's... man those two were absolutely perfect.

Anne Hathaway was also  a huge surprise for me.  That phone call to this day is still the thing that sets me off crying.  When her voice cracks into that whimper then she grabs hold of herself immediately, that was brilliant!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:14:11 am »
my first time seeing it I had no reaction at first.  I just sat there and thought to myself, "well, that was alright."  Then about 20 minutes later while driving home it hit me and I started sobbing so hard I had to pull over on the side of the highway.  I've been a wreck ever since.

Yep, that was my reaction also... minus having to pull over lol

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:17:46 am »
yes I figured crying and driving were not a good combination.  Then while I was sitting there on the side of the road I was terrified that someone was going to think I was having car troubles and stop to help me and I'd have to explain I was crying about a movie... luckily that didn't happen!

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 01:27:10 am »
Hi

It was very surreal for me afterwards......I felt very cut away from what was going on around me...traffic, people shopping....it all suddenly felt very ...unimportant....I resented it...it felt as though a shift that taken place inside my soul ...I knew it but I didnt know what it was....

I just needed the whole world to stop...to quieten down......I needed to get home..I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love...( I posted it on another group and got mixed reactions) ...but I know how he felt ...I felt like I had just buried something that was a part of me....I was shaken...not in a weepy way...just something in my soul had shifted.....

Auden explains it better than I do

** please note this poem was how I felt...not what BBM is about...ok..

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W. H. Auden 

**sadly it was used in a movie and people either like it or hate it now...sad

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 01:38:13 am »
I think that is a beautiful poem, I studied it in a class a couple of semesters ago...

it definitely fits the mood.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 02:01:12 am »
To be really truthful, the first conversation-ette I remember having with my husband when we walked out of the theatre was about making sure he really likes girls and doesn't have a boyfriend on the side.  I posted this before.  We also talked about how beautiful it was, and I remember commenting on how great the acting, cinematography and score were -- like holy crap, the acting.  I think we trod lightly afterwards for two reasons: one, I was afraid of really talking about it, really thinking about it, because I'd start crying and not be able to stop (which did in fact happen about 24 hours later) and two, my husband is not a big dissecter and analyser, and I wanted to give him space and time to say whatever he was going to say, and not start logorrhea-ing all over him right away.  Poor thing, he gets logorrheaed on just about every day.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 03:10:05 am »
Hi Kea. I like that poem and know I've heard it before. What movie was it in? I can't think of it.

(By the way, were you on the Tremblay board at IMDb? If so, what was your username? I'm not bein' suspicious or anything, just want to know if you're a new friend or if I know you already!)

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 04:22:11 am »
Hi

No must be someone else.....I have been on Yahoo lists mainly..and then someone sent me here to have a look..

..hopefully a new friend...

Yes ..the movie 4 weddings and a Funeral with Hugh Grant.

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 04:47:48 am »
Yes, that's it! Thanks Kea!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 07:34:42 am »
"Poor Jack.... Poor Ennis.... " I cried a bit more and then said out loud, "But there's hope for Ennis."

Rayn

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 07:45:04 am »
I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love:  Funeral Blues

The poem is a fitting way to express Ennis' grief and the grief that many share after seeing the movie.   It's beautiful, Kea, thanks for posting it.

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love:  Funeral Blues

The poem is a fitting way to express Ennis' grief and the grief that many share after seeing the movie.   It's beautiful, Kea, thanks for posting it.

Rayn

I love that poem, too, and think it's absolutely fitting.

I think I just felt stunned after seeing this the first time.  Looking back on it, I really think I was in the first of the five stages of grief.  Like you said, Sarah - it's as if I resisted, repressed talking or even thinking about it at first for fear of dissolving into a river of tears if I did.  When someone said to me the next day, "I'm tired of all the crappy movies that are out these days."  All I could say was, "Well, if you want to see a *really* good one, see 'Brokeback Mountain.'  I just saw that yesterday."  She said, "Oh, yeah?  It was really good, huh?"  And all I could say was "Yeah.  It was really good."  It was one of the most retarded conversations I've ever had.  Me - a self-proclaimed film buff - and that's all I could muster.  It was like Ennis' "Me? I, uh, I dunno..."

I think I've been trapped in the Bargaining Stage for the last few months, now.  I think I covered the Anger Stage very nicely on and after March 5.  Bargaining is the stage where we do the most talking about our grief, isn't it?  Usually, it's just in our own minds.  But mercifully we have a place here where there's a great deal of company for our misery.

I just lent my screener DVD to a co-worker this past week.  She loved the movie so much, she watched it twice - two nights in a row - before she gave it back.  After the first time, we talked about it for a good fifteen minutes over coffee.  She came back later to share a couple more thoughts she'd had.  I thought, "Uh-oh.  She has *no idea* how hard this is gonna keep hitting her."  Like I said over at the old CT, she said she's a sucker for a good love story, and this was the best one she'd ever seen.  After her second viewing, I asked her how her husband had liked it (he hadn't watched it with her the first time, but she wanted him to see it the second).  She said "He really enjoyed it.  We talked about it for, like, an hour afterwards.  He thought it was really beautiful and well-done on every level, but..."  And I said, "But he wasn't moved like you were, right?"  She said, "Exactly."  The way she looked at me then, so sorrowfully - my heart just went out to her.  I said, "Same with my husband.  Well, you know where to find me..."  She goes, "Yeah, I get the feeling I'll be finding you A LOT."
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 11:23:41 am »
I'm a pretty shy person. My first thought was, please don't let anyone see me crying.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2006, 04:40:51 pm »
As soon as I heard about the movie, in September, I read the short story and that had already caught me deeply. I was astounded by Annie Proulx's ability to transmit so many emotions in a handful of pages.
When the movie came out, I happened to be in NYC on the first day of screening, dec. 9, and attended the first viewing at 11.15. I loved it, enjoyed every bit of it but came out not particularly moved. Only later in the night, and on the following day the whole story reappeared in front of me with all its implications, and bringing me into a state of deep sadness, starting my BBM "obsession". Ever since then I had another six viewings (probably this is the movie I've most repeatedly saw in my whole life) in different locations, and every time the result was the same. As soon as I came out of the theatre, normal life seemed to resume as normal, but after a few hours the BBM blues surfaced again, with all its implications.
I never imagined a story and a movie could stir so many emotions deep into my soul, and am glad I'm not the only one around feeling like this.
For me the flavour of life has somehow changed after BBM.
By the way this is my first post here!
They were two friends of mine

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 06:22:59 pm »
Well I absolutely avoided the short story and msg boards all together (well in NOV and DEC) until seeing it in 1/6/06. 

I had a delayed reaction.  When I walked out of the theater, I thought it was good, if not great film. 24hours latter and I'm really thinking about this film. I go home, read the short story and it only re-enforces the pathos.  I've been hooked ever since. 

No movie has triggered a "delayed reaction" like this so so to speak.   :o

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 01:41:09 pm »
vic I am with you there.  I had also read the story, though it had been quite a while.  I was shocked at how completley the actors dissappeared into their characters.  The first viewing I was especially taken with Heath.  As far as I'm concerned, he WAS Ennis Del Mar, I did not see Heath Ledger on screen.  He blew me away.  The next viewing I realized how much I had ignored Jake's performance because of Heath's... man those two were absolutely perfect.

After 14 times, I still don't see Heath in that performance. Having seen him in other movies and various interviews, I know quite well what Heath's mannerism is like. Watching Brothers Grimm or Knight's Tale, we clearly see him in those chracters. In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:09:09 pm »
It took my breath away.  Empty in the pit of my stomach.  Didn't cry.  Drove home numb.  Couldn't sleep. Woke up thinking about it for 3 nights.  Cried. 

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:24 pm »
After 14 times, I still don't see Heath in that performance. Having seen him in other movies and various interviews, I know quite well what Heath's mannerism is like. Watching Brothers Grimm or Knight's Tale, we clearly see him in those chracters. In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.

I agree Starbie. I've looked to find some Heath-ish qualities, and I just don't think they're there.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 02:38:10 pm »
Well I absolutely avoided the short story and msg boards all together (well in NOV and DEC) until seeing it in 1/6/06. 

I had a delayed reaction.  When I walked out of the theater, I thought it was good, if not great film. 24hours latter and I'm really thinking about this film. I go home, read the short story and it only re-enforces the pathos.  I've been hooked ever since. 

No movie has triggered a "delayed reaction" like this so so to speak.   :o

I thought that the "delayed reaction" was just me, that I was the one that's just thinking about the movie too much. What a great surprise to find that it is quite universal. When I first got on IMDB, someone else had posted about the delayed reaction, and with in hours, the thread ballooned with people reporting similar reactions. This is why it's clear that it's a very powerful film. To elicit this very unique reaction from thousands and thousands of people of various life experience and backgrounds.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 02:47:44 pm »

I agree Starbie. I've looked to find some Heath-ish qualities, and I just don't think they're there.

They might be two unrelated people, one from Australia, one from Wyoming.

Which, because it is Ennis I love rather than Heath, is the only thing that keeps me from being really, really jealous of Michelle (instead, I am just 1 really jealous).

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 03:06:37 pm »

Which, because it is Ennis I love rather than Heath, is the only thing that keeps me from being really, really jealous of Michelle (instead, I am just 1 really jealous).

is it just me? but they don't even look like the same person. If I didn't know that was Heath, I wouldn't have thought it was him.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 03:08:28 pm »
I think young Ennis looks like Heath, but Ennis age 30+ or so doesn't.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 05:06:25 pm »
I was numb really - stumbled out of the theatre like a zombie...got home, didn't feel like eating supper; went to bed and woke up every 2 hours or so - couldn't shake the image of Jack and Ennis.  I was extremely distracted for days!!  There was a round-the-clock BBM show playing in my head for days and days... :o

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 06:08:19 pm »

Yep, that was my reaction also... minus having to pull over lol

My exact reaction, including having to pull over.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 10:16:21 pm »
I was numb really - stumbled out of the theatre like a zombie...got home, didn't feel like eating supper; went to bed and woke up every 2 hours or so - couldn't shake the image of Jack and Ennis.  I was extremely distracted for days!!  There was a round-the-clock BBM show playing in my head for days and days... :o

Trouble is, that feeling of not being able to shake them doesn't go away, even with a lot of time and repeated viewings.  Hell - I even took a month off at one point in an effort to move on from them.  But I keep coming back.  I think it's because I don't want to forget them.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 11:00:18 pm »
It's funny you said that, because that's just how I feel.. I distract myself to try to clear my mind.   Then I watch a clip or video because I don't want to clear my mind.
When will this madness stop???
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:37 am »
Bumping for later..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 11:36:59 pm »
Aaah, remembering more good times!  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
Bump for Throwback Thursday. This is what we used to be like!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »
Bump for Throwback Thursday. This is what we used to be like!  ;D

I'm not looking! I don't want to be reminded!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
I did reread the whole thread - and love it. :)

In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.

Love the way you put this, Katherine. No surprise, I know. :laugh:

Adding a little to the topic at hand, since I didn't participate in this thread back then:
Like many others, I had a delayed reaction. No tears at first, and I barely talked about it directly after seeing it. Only "This was entirely different from any movie I've ever seen".
I was absolutely stunned. I couldn't get it out of my head. Two days later, I saw a beige colored, checkered shirt hanging on a closet door and started crying. Hard.
The rest is history....

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
This has got to be the best ever forgotten thread.

Thanks for the rewind, S. C.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:29 pm »
Great thread!

My first reaction was to feel like I had been kicked in the stomach.  I had seen it with my mom, and we both rode home in silence, the only comment my mother had was "they wasted their lives".

I decided at that moment on to take as many of my straight friends to see that movie, and I managed to get about 12 of them to come with me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »
Love the way you put this, Katherine. No surprise, I know. :laugh:

:-*

This has got to be the best ever forgotten thread.

Thanks for the rewind, S. C.

My pleasure, Roland! Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
Great thread!

My first reaction was to feel like I had been kicked in the stomach.  I had seen it with my mom, and we both rode home in silence, the only comment my mother had was "they wasted their lives".

I decided at that moment on to take as many of my straight friends to see that movie, and I managed to get about 12 of them to come with me.

I did too. I felt immediately that it had literally changed my life. I mentioned that a couple of days later in a conversation with a friend, then realized that sounded kind of melodramatic. I did get that friend to go see it with me (I saw it by myself the first time, and most of the other 21 times). She liked it the way you like a good movie, but not in an obsessive, life-changing way.

For a while I tried to sneak it into pretty much every conversation and people either hadn't seen it at all or they had but, straight or gay, they only liked it in the normal good-movie way. Finally I gave up mentioning it. In seven-plus years I've only run across one or two other people who really really really liked it, and even then probably not quite at the Brokie level.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »
Great thread!

Delayed reaction too. I cry easily when watching movies but with BBM, not one tear, just such a knot in my throat I could hardly breathe. I had no idea what the movie was about, just saw the poster with beautiful mountains and handsome cowboys and got into the theater. Little did I know... When getting out I felt like I had been punched all over but was not sure what had really happened. I was not sure of what I had seen either, the movie is so much like real life where you could interpret everything in different ways (as we discovered with the endless discussions on the forum, lol)

Woke up the next morning on a soaked pillow and had to return again and again (and again) to try and convince myself that this was 'just a movie', not a documentary and that J&E were not real. Of course that did not work. Discovering the yahoo forum first, then Bettermost and DC (plus a French one), seeing that other people were going through the same madness of becoming dysfunctional and obsessed, being able to talk endlessly about each detail, was a lifesaver.

And 7 years later the friendships continue....

Thank you brokies

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
And 7 years later the friendships continue....

and soon, we'll have a 10 year anniversary!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!