Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17172 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 02:38:10 pm »
Well I absolutely avoided the short story and msg boards all together (well in NOV and DEC) until seeing it in 1/6/06. 

I had a delayed reaction.  When I walked out of the theater, I thought it was good, if not great film. 24hours latter and I'm really thinking about this film. I go home, read the short story and it only re-enforces the pathos.  I've been hooked ever since. 

No movie has triggered a "delayed reaction" like this so so to speak.   :o

I thought that the "delayed reaction" was just me, that I was the one that's just thinking about the movie too much. What a great surprise to find that it is quite universal. When I first got on IMDB, someone else had posted about the delayed reaction, and with in hours, the thread ballooned with people reporting similar reactions. This is why it's clear that it's a very powerful film. To elicit this very unique reaction from thousands and thousands of people of various life experience and backgrounds.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 02:47:44 pm »
After 14 times, I still don't see Heath in that performance. Having seen him in other movies and various interviews, I know quite well what Heath's mannerism is like. Watching Brothers Grimm or Knight's Tale, we clearly see him in those chracters. In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.

I agree Starbie. I've looked to find some Heath-ish qualities, and I just don't think they're there.

They might be two unrelated people, one from Australia, one from Wyoming.

Which, because it is Ennis I love rather than Heath, is the only thing that keeps me from being really, really jealous of Michelle (instead, I am just 1 really jealous).

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 03:06:37 pm »

They might be two unrelated people, one from Australia, one from Wyoming.

Which, because it is Ennis I love rather than Heath, is the only thing that keeps me from being really, really jealous of Michelle (instead, I am just 1 really jealous).

is it just me? but they don't even look like the same person. If I didn't know that was Heath, I wouldn't have thought it was him.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 03:08:28 pm »
I think young Ennis looks like Heath, but Ennis age 30+ or so doesn't.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 05:06:25 pm »
I was numb really - stumbled out of the theatre like a zombie...got home, didn't feel like eating supper; went to bed and woke up every 2 hours or so - couldn't shake the image of Jack and Ennis.  I was extremely distracted for days!!  There was a round-the-clock BBM show playing in my head for days and days... :o

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 06:08:19 pm »
my first time seeing it I had no reaction at first.  I just sat there and thought to myself, "well, that was alright."  Then about 20 minutes later while driving home it hit me and I started sobbing so hard I had to pull over on the side of the highway.  I've been a wreck ever since.

Yep, that was my reaction also... minus having to pull over lol

My exact reaction, including having to pull over.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 10:16:21 pm »
I was numb really - stumbled out of the theatre like a zombie...got home, didn't feel like eating supper; went to bed and woke up every 2 hours or so - couldn't shake the image of Jack and Ennis.  I was extremely distracted for days!!  There was a round-the-clock BBM show playing in my head for days and days... :o

Trouble is, that feeling of not being able to shake them doesn't go away, even with a lot of time and repeated viewings.  Hell - I even took a month off at one point in an effort to move on from them.  But I keep coming back.  I think it's because I don't want to forget them.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 11:00:18 pm »
It's funny you said that, because that's just how I feel.. I distract myself to try to clear my mind.   Then I watch a clip or video because I don't want to clear my mind.
When will this madness stop???
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:37 am »
Bumping for later..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator