Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17170 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
What was your first reaction?
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »
A friend and I were talking about the movie today in work, (shocking, I know) and she was telling me about her first thought when the movie ended.
So now I'm curious about all of you guys...so....

What was the first thing that popped into your head at the end of the movie the first time you saw it?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:31:50 pm »
Absolutely no words, (that whole stunned reaction), just the heartbreaking visual  - Ennis without Jack, shirts, postcard, closet, view of wind-blown green and gold and blue through the small window.  It filled my head and literally stayed before my eyes, and made driving home difficult.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
I had a pit in my stomach that stayed with me the rest of the night and kept me awake until morning. no words. I went with my brother and cousin. one of them asked what I thought, and all I could manage was "that was amazing." Usually I'm the chattier of us three and usually the more analytical, but this time, nothing. I just couldn't process it all, much as I tried. The delayed reaction that many people talked about was exactly what happened to me. The full emotional impact didn't hit me for days. When it did, I cried like I hadn't done since I was a toddler. Just the whole convulsion and not being able to control any part of me. Good thing, I didn't have to go to the bathroom at the moment, or I'd have wet myself too.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 08:47:56 pm »
I will have to preface this by saying that I read the story when it was 1st published in the New Yorker (I'm always braggin about this, forgive me) and when I heard that a movie was being made, I thought, that's not possible! So my reaction at the end of the film when I 1st saw it was simply, thank you Heath Ledger. W/o him it never would have happened.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »
Honestly, I didn't have any special reaction at first. I saw it with a friend, and on the way home we talked about how good it was, but I just thought it was like any other movie that I really like. I had to go back to school the next day (I was home for winter break), and over the next week I realised that I was still thinking about it. It took a second trip to see it to really understand how amazing it was. No, I take that back, I'm not even sure I understand now, after 17 viewings. I'm just glad to have found you all to know that I'm not alone!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:06:30 pm »
I was numb-I knew I had just seem something monumental-something destined to change my life. I went with a friend and we really didn't talk much about it. I knew that I would see it again and again.

Heathen

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:19:53 pm »
Ray and I are going to see the movie today (my 23rd viewing) Have I said this already - like a billion times?!??!!?!  I'm saying it again cause I'm SO excited!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My first reaction was "oh my god". I knew I would love this movie cause i had been obsessively hunting any information about it on the net prior to watching it, but I wasn't prepared for how deeply it hit me. I have never cried (more like sobbed) so much in a movie before in my life.  I knew I had watched something truly special and I couldn't get it out of my head. I started dissecting it piece by piece - the really obvious stuff first: great cinematography, INCREDIBLE acting... Okay, I'd heard Heath was good, REALLY good and everybody seemed to be saying it. When i hear stuff like that, my skepticism kicks in and I start thinkin "how good could he be?". Question was answered soon enough.  Anybody else forget it was Heath Ledger?  All I saw was Ennis Del Mar... He transported me.  I didn't quite get that same reaction from Jake - but he still showed what an incredible actor he is - when actors can convey clear meaning from gestures and facial expressions, they're GOOD.

And the days afterwards, I broke it down even more and when it became apparent that those I saw it with liked it alright, but weren't hung up on it, like I was, I started seeking out like-minded souls on the internet to chat with! :P

And that's how come.. me end up here.. *sips whiskey*  ;D
Chut up!

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:03:10 pm »
Like most people here, I couldn't think anything after seeing BBM the first time. I made the mistake of seeing it alone. No tears, neither during the film, nor after it was over. I was stunned, but didn't realize it then. I guess it was a defense mechanism. I remember feeling confused and numb, no thoughts about the film, heck, no thoughts at all. Like a computer that froze due to a system error. I idn't feel like drinking or eating or keeping company, not even talking to anyone. The Saturday night britcoms on PBS didn't seem funny anymore, reading was impossible, I couldn't bear to hear any music. I went to bed and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep. The next day (Sunday), this sadness and despair crept up on me - I realized I was mourning for Ennis and Jack's unlived happiness.  

I remember learning once that bruises that develop late and slowly are a sign of a heavy blow that caused a deep wound, and they take a long time to heal. Well, ...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:04:51 pm by monimm18 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:20 pm »
I went with my mom on New Year's Eve, and when it was over at first we couldn't say anything. 

Then when we finally could, all we could say was "That was really really sad."  We talked a little about it on the way home, but not much, we were still kind of somber and flustered.

The next day my dad called and asked me how it was, and this time all I could say was "It was really really good."  To which he responded "That's exactly what your mother said." 

By the afternoon I was on the IMDb message board - and pretty soon I couldn't say enough!  I couldn't get it out of my mind, and once I started reading and posting, I couldn't wait to see it again.  And the rest is history! :) 

Oh yeah, and my mom's seen it four times total now too.  And she almost never sees movies in the theater anymore, let alone more than once.  Brokeback got her good, too, and it's been real nice being able to share my obsession with her.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:20:58 pm by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
Wow.
No more beans!