Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17177 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:51:30 pm »
my first time seeing it I had no reaction at first.  I just sat there and thought to myself, "well, that was alright."  Then about 20 minutes later while driving home it hit me and I started sobbing so hard I had to pull over on the side of the highway.  I've been a wreck ever since.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 01:06:22 am »
Well I had read the story so I was prepared for sad.  What I was not prepared for was Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal  Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway...the way they disappeared and gave life to these characters, the way Diana and Osanna and Larry McMurtry had fleshed out the story and the deft and gentle vision that Ang Lee brought to it.

I was blown away, I wept, that was almost 5 months ago now and I still haven't recovered. I don't think I ever will and I thank God for it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 01:18:49 am by vkm91941 »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:12:04 am »
vic I am with you there.  I had also read the story, though it had been quite a while.  I was shocked at how completley the actors dissappeared into their characters.  The first viewing I was especially taken with Heath.  As far as I'm concerned, he WAS Ennis Del Mar, I did not see Heath Ledger on screen.  He blew me away.  The next viewing I realized how much I had ignored Jake's performance because of Heath's... man those two were absolutely perfect.

Anne Hathaway was also  a huge surprise for me.  That phone call to this day is still the thing that sets me off crying.  When her voice cracks into that whimper then she grabs hold of herself immediately, that was brilliant!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:14:11 am »
my first time seeing it I had no reaction at first.  I just sat there and thought to myself, "well, that was alright."  Then about 20 minutes later while driving home it hit me and I started sobbing so hard I had to pull over on the side of the highway.  I've been a wreck ever since.

Yep, that was my reaction also... minus having to pull over lol

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:17:46 am »
yes I figured crying and driving were not a good combination.  Then while I was sitting there on the side of the road I was terrified that someone was going to think I was having car troubles and stop to help me and I'd have to explain I was crying about a movie... luckily that didn't happen!

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 01:27:10 am »
Hi

It was very surreal for me afterwards......I felt very cut away from what was going on around me...traffic, people shopping....it all suddenly felt very ...unimportant....I resented it...it felt as though a shift that taken place inside my soul ...I knew it but I didnt know what it was....

I just needed the whole world to stop...to quieten down......I needed to get home..I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love...( I posted it on another group and got mixed reactions) ...but I know how he felt ...I felt like I had just buried something that was a part of me....I was shaken...not in a weepy way...just something in my soul had shifted.....

Auden explains it better than I do

** please note this poem was how I felt...not what BBM is about...ok..

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W. H. Auden 

**sadly it was used in a movie and people either like it or hate it now...sad

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 01:38:13 am »
I think that is a beautiful poem, I studied it in a class a couple of semesters ago...

it definitely fits the mood.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 02:01:12 am »
To be really truthful, the first conversation-ette I remember having with my husband when we walked out of the theatre was about making sure he really likes girls and doesn't have a boyfriend on the side.  I posted this before.  We also talked about how beautiful it was, and I remember commenting on how great the acting, cinematography and score were -- like holy crap, the acting.  I think we trod lightly afterwards for two reasons: one, I was afraid of really talking about it, really thinking about it, because I'd start crying and not be able to stop (which did in fact happen about 24 hours later) and two, my husband is not a big dissecter and analyser, and I wanted to give him space and time to say whatever he was going to say, and not start logorrhea-ing all over him right away.  Poor thing, he gets logorrheaed on just about every day.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 03:10:05 am »
Hi Kea. I like that poem and know I've heard it before. What movie was it in? I can't think of it.

(By the way, were you on the Tremblay board at IMDb? If so, what was your username? I'm not bein' suspicious or anything, just want to know if you're a new friend or if I know you already!)

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 04:22:11 am »
Hi

No must be someone else.....I have been on Yahoo lists mainly..and then someone sent me here to have a look..

..hopefully a new friend...

Yes ..the movie 4 weddings and a Funeral with Hugh Grant.

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown