Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17165 times)

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 04:47:48 am »
Yes, that's it! Thanks Kea!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 07:34:42 am »
"Poor Jack.... Poor Ennis.... " I cried a bit more and then said out loud, "But there's hope for Ennis."

Rayn

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 07:45:04 am »
I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love:  Funeral Blues

The poem is a fitting way to express Ennis' grief and the grief that many share after seeing the movie.   It's beautiful, Kea, thanks for posting it.

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
I kept thinking afterwards of the Auden poem I love:  Funeral Blues

The poem is a fitting way to express Ennis' grief and the grief that many share after seeing the movie.   It's beautiful, Kea, thanks for posting it.

Rayn

I love that poem, too, and think it's absolutely fitting.

I think I just felt stunned after seeing this the first time.  Looking back on it, I really think I was in the first of the five stages of grief.  Like you said, Sarah - it's as if I resisted, repressed talking or even thinking about it at first for fear of dissolving into a river of tears if I did.  When someone said to me the next day, "I'm tired of all the crappy movies that are out these days."  All I could say was, "Well, if you want to see a *really* good one, see 'Brokeback Mountain.'  I just saw that yesterday."  She said, "Oh, yeah?  It was really good, huh?"  And all I could say was "Yeah.  It was really good."  It was one of the most retarded conversations I've ever had.  Me - a self-proclaimed film buff - and that's all I could muster.  It was like Ennis' "Me? I, uh, I dunno..."

I think I've been trapped in the Bargaining Stage for the last few months, now.  I think I covered the Anger Stage very nicely on and after March 5.  Bargaining is the stage where we do the most talking about our grief, isn't it?  Usually, it's just in our own minds.  But mercifully we have a place here where there's a great deal of company for our misery.

I just lent my screener DVD to a co-worker this past week.  She loved the movie so much, she watched it twice - two nights in a row - before she gave it back.  After the first time, we talked about it for a good fifteen minutes over coffee.  She came back later to share a couple more thoughts she'd had.  I thought, "Uh-oh.  She has *no idea* how hard this is gonna keep hitting her."  Like I said over at the old CT, she said she's a sucker for a good love story, and this was the best one she'd ever seen.  After her second viewing, I asked her how her husband had liked it (he hadn't watched it with her the first time, but she wanted him to see it the second).  She said "He really enjoyed it.  We talked about it for, like, an hour afterwards.  He thought it was really beautiful and well-done on every level, but..."  And I said, "But he wasn't moved like you were, right?"  She said, "Exactly."  The way she looked at me then, so sorrowfully - my heart just went out to her.  I said, "Same with my husband.  Well, you know where to find me..."  She goes, "Yeah, I get the feeling I'll be finding you A LOT."
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 11:23:41 am »
I'm a pretty shy person. My first thought was, please don't let anyone see me crying.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2006, 04:40:51 pm »
As soon as I heard about the movie, in September, I read the short story and that had already caught me deeply. I was astounded by Annie Proulx's ability to transmit so many emotions in a handful of pages.
When the movie came out, I happened to be in NYC on the first day of screening, dec. 9, and attended the first viewing at 11.15. I loved it, enjoyed every bit of it but came out not particularly moved. Only later in the night, and on the following day the whole story reappeared in front of me with all its implications, and bringing me into a state of deep sadness, starting my BBM "obsession". Ever since then I had another six viewings (probably this is the movie I've most repeatedly saw in my whole life) in different locations, and every time the result was the same. As soon as I came out of the theatre, normal life seemed to resume as normal, but after a few hours the BBM blues surfaced again, with all its implications.
I never imagined a story and a movie could stir so many emotions deep into my soul, and am glad I'm not the only one around feeling like this.
For me the flavour of life has somehow changed after BBM.
By the way this is my first post here!
They were two friends of mine

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 06:22:59 pm »
Well I absolutely avoided the short story and msg boards all together (well in NOV and DEC) until seeing it in 1/6/06. 

I had a delayed reaction.  When I walked out of the theater, I thought it was good, if not great film. 24hours latter and I'm really thinking about this film. I go home, read the short story and it only re-enforces the pathos.  I've been hooked ever since. 

No movie has triggered a "delayed reaction" like this so so to speak.   :o

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 01:41:09 pm »
vic I am with you there.  I had also read the story, though it had been quite a while.  I was shocked at how completley the actors dissappeared into their characters.  The first viewing I was especially taken with Heath.  As far as I'm concerned, he WAS Ennis Del Mar, I did not see Heath Ledger on screen.  He blew me away.  The next viewing I realized how much I had ignored Jake's performance because of Heath's... man those two were absolutely perfect.

After 14 times, I still don't see Heath in that performance. Having seen him in other movies and various interviews, I know quite well what Heath's mannerism is like. Watching Brothers Grimm or Knight's Tale, we clearly see him in those chracters. In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:09:09 pm »
It took my breath away.  Empty in the pit of my stomach.  Didn't cry.  Drove home numb.  Couldn't sleep. Woke up thinking about it for 3 nights.  Cried. 

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:24 pm »
After 14 times, I still don't see Heath in that performance. Having seen him in other movies and various interviews, I know quite well what Heath's mannerism is like. Watching Brothers Grimm or Knight's Tale, we clearly see him in those chracters. In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.

I agree Starbie. I've looked to find some Heath-ish qualities, and I just don't think they're there.