Author Topic: What was your first reaction?  (Read 17163 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What was your first reaction?
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
Bump for Throwback Thursday. This is what we used to be like!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »
Bump for Throwback Thursday. This is what we used to be like!  ;D

I'm not looking! I don't want to be reminded!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
I did reread the whole thread - and love it. :)

In Ennis, Heath just disappears. You have to really look to find him in Ennis. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but even in the face, Ennis isn't Heath.
I agree Starbie. I've looked to find some Heath-ish qualities, and I just don't think they're there.

They might be two unrelated people, one from Australia, one from Wyoming.

Love the way you put this, Katherine. No surprise, I know. :laugh:

Adding a little to the topic at hand, since I didn't participate in this thread back then:
Like many others, I had a delayed reaction. No tears at first, and I barely talked about it directly after seeing it. Only "This was entirely different from any movie I've ever seen".
I was absolutely stunned. I couldn't get it out of my head. Two days later, I saw a beige colored, checkered shirt hanging on a closet door and started crying. Hard.
The rest is history....

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
This has got to be the best ever forgotten thread.

Thanks for the rewind, S. C.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:29 pm »
Great thread!

My first reaction was to feel like I had been kicked in the stomach.  I had seen it with my mom, and we both rode home in silence, the only comment my mother had was "they wasted their lives".

I decided at that moment on to take as many of my straight friends to see that movie, and I managed to get about 12 of them to come with me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »
Love the way you put this, Katherine. No surprise, I know. :laugh:

:-*

This has got to be the best ever forgotten thread.

Thanks for the rewind, S. C.

My pleasure, Roland! Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
Great thread!

My first reaction was to feel like I had been kicked in the stomach.  I had seen it with my mom, and we both rode home in silence, the only comment my mother had was "they wasted their lives".

I decided at that moment on to take as many of my straight friends to see that movie, and I managed to get about 12 of them to come with me.

I did too. I felt immediately that it had literally changed my life. I mentioned that a couple of days later in a conversation with a friend, then realized that sounded kind of melodramatic. I did get that friend to go see it with me (I saw it by myself the first time, and most of the other 21 times). She liked it the way you like a good movie, but not in an obsessive, life-changing way.

For a while I tried to sneak it into pretty much every conversation and people either hadn't seen it at all or they had but, straight or gay, they only liked it in the normal good-movie way. Finally I gave up mentioning it. In seven-plus years I've only run across one or two other people who really really really liked it, and even then probably not quite at the Brokie level.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »
Great thread!

Delayed reaction too. I cry easily when watching movies but with BBM, not one tear, just such a knot in my throat I could hardly breathe. I had no idea what the movie was about, just saw the poster with beautiful mountains and handsome cowboys and got into the theater. Little did I know... When getting out I felt like I had been punched all over but was not sure what had really happened. I was not sure of what I had seen either, the movie is so much like real life where you could interpret everything in different ways (as we discovered with the endless discussions on the forum, lol)

Woke up the next morning on a soaked pillow and had to return again and again (and again) to try and convince myself that this was 'just a movie', not a documentary and that J&E were not real. Of course that did not work. Discovering the yahoo forum first, then Bettermost and DC (plus a French one), seeing that other people were going through the same madness of becoming dysfunctional and obsessed, being able to talk endlessly about each detail, was a lifesaver.

And 7 years later the friendships continue....

Thank you brokies

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
And 7 years later the friendships continue....

and soon, we'll have a 10 year anniversary!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!