Author Topic: Alma Jr., Her Box of Crayons, and the Tattooed Lady  (Read 3172 times)

ruthlesslyunsentimental

Alma Jr., Her Box of Crayons, and the Tattooed Lady
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:56:30 am »
ORIGINAL POSTER’S NOTE:  This post is dedicated to latjoreme in friendship and with appreciation.  She knows why.  I post it in “Open Forum” in her honor.

From what I’ve heard from others, some of the items I bring up in this post have already been discussed elsewhere.  I had not seen any of them when I wrote this, and I believe it’s still true today.  I bring up Alma Jr.’s box of crayons and find a connection to the tattooed lady seen during Ennis’ and Cassie’s final dance.  So many people, props and lines in the film seem to stand out with an intentional prominence.  When they do, I wonder whether there is a significance.  I offer here one possible significance to and a connection between the tattooed lady and Alma Jr.’s box of crayons.  Because I’m looking at the metaphor level of the film here, many other interpretations and symbolisms can certainly be found and can be just as valid.  Just because I find a symbolism in one line, prop, or event that ties into my metaphor, this does not mean that there is not also another totally different symbolism at work at the same time with the same line, prop, or event.  So here, for your high-class entertainment…

Alma Jr., Her Box of Crayons, and the Tattooed Lady

Alma Jr. represents other options.  Ennis had his first chance, or his first option, with Jack.  He gave that up – because of his fears, homophobia and rejection – and he married Alma.  Then Jr. came along – she is named Alma, Jr., or Alma II – she represents other options that would work better for Ennis -- other options or chances in life.  The first time we see Ennis come home to his family, Jr. has a runny nose, which Alma Sr. makes a point of asking Ennis to wipe.  His hands are full and he cannot do it unless he has three hands, another option.  But he doesn’t have another option in life.  He had the Jack option which he gave up and he took the other option, life with Alma and the kids.  Ennis is always looking for that third option.  He couldn’t make the first option work, life with Jack, because of his fears.  He can’t make the second option work, life with Alma and the girls, because it’s not who he is.  He’s looking for a third option that will work for him – a third option that will bring it all together for him -- and he never finds it.  (I think this is another significance of the number three throughout the film.)

We then see Jr. at the grocery store with her parents.  The whole scene has Ennis and Alma Sr. bickering, with Monroe coming in, foreshadowing himself as another option for Alma Sr.  But Alma Jr. speaks a line that seems to stand out, and the camera takes its focus off of Alma Sr. and Ennis and directs itself onto Alma Jr.  What does she want?  Crayons.  A box of crayons is a box of colors.  Each color in the film has significance as an individual part of Ennis’ life (tan/brown=Ennis, blue=Jack, green=their relationship, etc.).  The box of crayons represents pulling together all of the individual parts of Ennis’ life and making them work together in one, neat box.  And it’s Alma Jr. who asks for the crayons.  She is a symbol of other options for Ennis to bring his life into harmony.

At the reunion motel and river scenes, the main reason that Ennis gives to Jack for their not being able to live together is that they are each married.  Jack is willing to give that up.  Ennis is not.  Now we all know that it’s really Ennis’ deep, dark fears that keep them apart (the Earl story), but the reason that he gives to Jack, the reason that Jack accepts and understands, at the time, is the marriage.  (Jack comes to understand the full significance and prominence of the Earl story at the post-divorce scene when the white truck passes by.)

The next time they’re together is at the “You’re late” scene.  Here, they’ve been getting together on a regular basis, without actually being together, and Jack is all perky.  He understands Ennis’ marriage reason and he accepts it and Jack makes it work for him.  In fact, immediately after this scene, we see Jack taking an active interest in his son, Bobby, (building his family) by doing for Bobby the things that Jack’s father wouldn’t do for Jack – never taught him anything, never came to see him ride.  In the Versatile scene, Jack “teaches” Bobby to ride and is there with him as he does. 

The next time Jack and Ennis get together is the post-divorce scene where Jack arrives looking, again, all perky.  He’s expecting to have a life with Ennis now because Ennis has gotten his divorce and the marriage argument doesn’t hold anymore.  But here is where Jack realizes it’s not about Ennis being married, it’s about Ennis’ fears (Earl and the white truck).  And who is present?  Alma Jr.  She represents another option.  Now that he’s divorced – his second option is exhausted – he can take advantage of a third option, living with Jack while still seeing his girls. (Sure, he wants a good life with and for his girls, but he lost that option with the divorce.  Now he has visitation.)  It becomes even more viable when it’s pointed out that nine out of ten townspeople didn’t know where Ennis was living.  But Ennis doesn’t see it and he never attains that third option he’s always looking for.

After the divorce, Ennis goes for another option, but it’s really just a repeat of the Alma Sr. option – Cassie.  He can’t make this option work either.  But it never really was an option that would have brought all of Ennis’ life into harmony.  And Ennis brings Alma Jr. – other options – to the bar with Cassie.  Alma Jr. (options) knows that this Cassie thing isn’t an option that will bring harmony to Ennis’ life.  She’s always there symbolizing other options just as she did in the grocery store when she asked for the box of crayons.  Ennis’ life could have been a life full of color, all of the individual colors that represent all the different aspects of Ennis’ life could have been brought together into one neat, little box of crayons.  But he never saw that third option that Alma Jr. symbolizes.  And so his life of bright colors is really just a mish-mash painting of colors – the tattooed lady.  She symbolizes all the lost chances in Ennis’ life, all of his missed opportunities to bring his colors into harmony for a happy life.

The scene at the bar with Cassie and Alma Jr. is about the destructive effects that rural homophobia (the theme of the film) has had on Ennis and his ability to correctly find other options that could bring his life into harmony.  Alma Jr. is present as a symbol of other options for Ennis.  (Also note, the two songs are about divorce and options.)  The only real dialogue in this scene is between Cassie and Alma Jr. and it centers on Ennis and his options.  Cassie throws out the option of Ennis marrying again and Alma Jr. shoots down that option.  With a little snideness in her voice, she announces that that option didn’t work the first time for Ennis to bring his life into harmony, and it won’t work again.  Then Ennis comes over to the table and Cassie takes him to the dance floor, and we see them dancing right next to a very prominent tattooed woman – dull, muted colors all washed over her body instead of bright colors neatly lined up in a little box.  This is what his life has become.

Finally, Alma Jr. comes to Ennis’ trailer after Jack is gone.  Now, Ennis has lost his first option – a life with Jack.  He’s lost his second option – a life with wife and kids.  And Alma Jr. shows up to show him that he has another option -- get involved with the ones who love you and be there for them.  And this time, I believe,  Ennis finally sees that third option.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Alma Jr., Her Box of Crayons, and the Tattooed Lady
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 02:29:12 pm »
Well now, how could I not like an interpretation preceded by such a nice dedication? Thanks, Ruthlessly!  :)

And in fact, much of it makes a lot of sense to me. It's very subtle and elegant. It helps explain and tie together some things that stand out enough to seem meaningful yet don't have any other obvious explanation: Alma Jr.'s ill-timed request for crayons, Ennis' "if I had three hands I could." (So what about the broken peanut jars?)

And it offers an explanation for the tattooed lady that seems at least as plausible as any others offered to date. (Which include: 1) she's dancing with a man in a black hat (symbolic Jack) and not drawing much attention, proving that since even an incredibly conspicuous person doesn't stand out in 1970s Riverton, Ennis is being overly paranoid 2) she reminds us that Ennis hangs out in dive bars with biker chicks, while Jack frequents classy joints 3) she's someone who has disguised herself, or anyway altered her outward appearance, which is what Ennis is attempting to do by dating Cassie. There have been others that I can't remember right now.)

Here are my questions:

-- Why does Jack ever assume the only thing standing in the way of them living together is Ennis' marriage? Yes, Ennis uses it as an excuse in the motel, but the very next night he explains his deeper reasons, and they're clearly more unyielding than his marriage: "Two guys livin together? No way." In fact, this theory aside, the film itself doesn't completely answer why Jack automatically assumes Ennis' divorce would solve everything. I guess he reads Ennis' postcard to mean not only that he's divorced but that he's ready to disregard fears he's held since childhood?

Now that he’s divorced – his second option is exhausted – he can take advantage of a third option, living with Jack while still seeing his girls. ...  But Ennis doesn’t see it and he never attains that third option he’s always looking for.

-- But is this just Ennis' paranoia? Can we be sure that in 1970s Wyoming Ennis wouldn't risk his visitation rights by shacking up with another man?

Alma Jr. shows up to show him that he has another option -- get involved with the ones who love you and be there for them.  And this time, I believe,  Ennis finally sees that third option.

So I'm not sure I totally understand the nature of the third option. Were his daughters the third option all along? Is that why Alma Jr. kept appearing at the key junctures? Or did the third option change over the years? Did it initially involve Jack? Or did Alma Jr. and her crayon request foreshadow a choice that would only open up about 16 years later?

Somehow I find it depressing to think that the third option of getting involved with his daughters was beckoning, unseen, all along, as if the whole Jack thing were distracting him from what fate always intended to be his real destiny.

No, looking back, I see that's not what you mean. But could you clarify that part a little?

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:38:11 pm »
Well now, how could I not like an interpretation preceded by such a nice dedication? Thanks, Ruthlessly!  :)

Just like Heath EARNED the Oscar, you EARNED the dedication – you know why!   :)

So what about the broken peanut jars?

The only thing I’ve been able to come up with is this…

From my other posts, you may know that I find food symbolizes the people themselves or their relationships.  The broken peanut jars are scattered food.  When was the only other time we saw scattered food?  The bear scene. 

This grocery store scene is very similar to the Basque/bear scenes.  In the Basque scene Ennis talks to the Basque and is confused about the food (powdered milk and spuds); in the grocery store scene, Ennis talks to Monroe and is confused about the food (condiments, ketchup) – further similarities will ensue…

Now, what happened in the Basque/bear scene?  Ennis was making his first steps at a relationship life with Jack as opposed to a friendship life with Jack (soup versus beans).  But, because of the Basque comment we know that Ennis was not yet at a point in his development to do what he was doing.  He left, encountered the bear, and his food was scattered.  Next scene, Jack will not put up with the food situation as is – he will not put up with their relationship as just friends (beans) he wants a real relationship (soup).  Next scene, Ennis shoots an elk as a poor substitute for a real relationship life (soup) with Jack.

Before the reunion, Ennis is trying to build a relationship life with Alma – he, the man; she, the perky little woman.  She’s the bear standing in his way.  He needs to go to a job.  She’s been complaining about his job habits all the time and then not helping to facilitate his job status at a crucial moment, she’s not letting him be “the man” of the relationship he’s trying to build (these are two theories of Alma’s purpose in this scene that have come up).  He overcomes this bear – by asserting his place in the relationship – but, we know that the relationship is faulty, and as an appeasement (textually, for the argument; subtextually, for the faulty relationship) he suggests ground steaks similar to when he offered elk to Jack – symbolically, poor substitutes for a real relationship.  Note also that he tried to appease Alma with a real relationship -- moving to town, what she wanted -- and they move in right next to the Elk Lodge.  But Alma Jr. is there and she represents other options and she (symbolically) knows that Ennis’ work on this faulty relationship is false and she scatters the food – symbolically meaning that Ennis’ attempt at this relationship with Alma is not going to work either with appeasement.  It’s all or nothing.

And it offers an explanation for the tattooed lady that seems at least as plausible as any others offered to date. (Which include: 1) she's dancing with a man in a black hat (symbolic Jack) and not drawing much attention, proving that since even an incredibly conspicuous person doesn't stand out in 1970s Riverton, Ennis is being overly paranoid 2) she reminds us that Ennis hangs out in dive bars with biker chicks, while Jack frequents classy joints 3) she's someone who has disguised herself, or anyway altered her outward appearance, which is what Ennis is attempting to do by dating Cassie. There have been others that I can't remember right now.)

Yep.  I also see all of these things all going on at once, symbolically and subtextually.

Why does Jack ever assume the only thing standing in the way of them living together is Ennis' marriage?

Key words – “ever” and “only.”  Not "ever" and not "only."  Only up until the post-divorce scene.  Jack heard Ennis’ reasons at the reunion river scene – marriage, kids, and Earl.  Jack doesn’t fully understand the significance of the kids part and the Earl part at this time.  Only the marriage part.  This is why he shows up at Ennis’ post-divorce ranch home looking all perky.  The “big one” is outta the way, so Jack thinks.  But then Ennis’ reminds Jack of the other two reasons, and Jack suddenly realizes that the marriage wasn’t the big reason, it’s Earl – Ennis’ fears – as evidenced by the white truck rolling by.  Here is where Jack realizes the strong significance of the Earl story.

…but the very next night he explains his deeper reasons, and they're clearly more unyielding than his marriage: "Two guys livin together? No way." In fact, this theory aside, the film itself doesn't completely answer why Jack automatically assumes Ennis' divorce would solve everything. I guess he reads Ennis' postcard to mean not only that he's divorced but that he's ready to disregard fears he's held since childhood?

No, to the last sentence.  It’s because Jack didn’t understand the overwhelming significance of Earl.  And how do we know this?  Because he appears at Ennis’ home, looking all perky, after the divorce card.  This is Jack’s assumption.  Why doesn’t Jack understand the significance of the Earl story – until the post-divorce scene, I mean?  Because it’s something that Jack and Ennis together can overcome – in Jack’s mind.  Jack couldn’t overcome Ennis’ marriage.  But Jack and Ennis together can overcome the Earl story – to Jack’s way of thinking – he’s a dreamer.  Remember, we all know about Ennis’ fears because we all have seen the entire movie.  But Jack doesn’t know any of this until the reunion river scene.  During the reunion motel and river scenes, Ennis mentioned the family (wife and kids) reasons in five different ways.  He only told the Earl story once.  And, it was after all else had failed to impress Jack.  Even after Ennis had mentioned the family reasons twice, Jack still mentioned living together.  Then three more family reasons.  Then the Earl story.  Jack didn’t see it for its huge significance to Ennis’ entire being.  To Jack, they could overcome it together, so, to Jack, it was secondary.  Jack’s light bulb went on when he saw Ennis look at the white truck pass by out in the middle of nowhere.  From this point on, this is what Jack has to contend with.

But is this just Ennis' paranoia? Can we be sure that in 1970s Wyoming Ennis wouldn't risk his visitation rights by shacking up with another man?

Yes, Ennis could drop everything to be with Jack which would involve consequences – losing visitation and inviting an Earl scenario for himself.  I’m not sure I understand the point behind this.  Ennis has his fears and paranoia about Earl, and Ennis has fears and paranoia about losing visitation rights by “coming out.”  So I’m not sure what you’re asking.  (But that’s OK.  I get confused a lot.)

So I'm not sure I totally understand the nature of the third option. Were his daughters the third option all along? Is that why Alma Jr. kept appearing at the key junctures? Or did the third option change over the years? Did it initially involve Jack? Or did Alma Jr. and her crayon request foreshadow a choice that would only open up about 16 years later?

No.  When I say Alma Jr. represents another or a third option, I don’t mean she represents that it’s there, right now, in front of Ennis in this scene, ready for him to grab  -- although, in a sense, it is… at any point at all he could drop everything and be with Jack, but he’d have to deal with the consequences.  Rather, her presence at those key times is a symbolic representation to us, the viewers, that Ennis has that third option and that he doesn’t see it – he lets other things cloud his vision, such as the Earl story.

Somehow I find it depressing to think that the third option of getting involved with his daughters was beckoning, unseen, all along, as if the whole Jack thing were distracting him from what fate always intended to be his real destiny.

I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to imply this.  I can see that it sounded as if I did.  No, what I meant at the end with Alma Jr. and Ennis was that at various points Ennis always had options – or, that third option – but he didn’t see it.  Now, he again has another option.  He’s lost his marriage, he’s lost Jack, so he could just sulk around, eating pie in bus depots, drinking beers and smoking cigarettes whilst sitting in his chair talking to the shirts.  But Alma Jr. symbolically represents another option at this point -- a strong, fulfilling relationship with his children and grandchildren.  This is not to say that he didn’t have this option before, or that he didn’t dip his foot into it from time to time, but now he has the option of diving right in.

No, looking back, I see that's not what you mean. But could you clarify that part a little?

I hope I just did.  If not, don’t be shy…   :laugh:

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:02:46 pm »
It’s because Jack didn’t understand the overwhelming significance of Earl.  And how do we know this?  Because he appears at Ennis’ home, looking all perky, after the divorce card.  This is Jack’s assumption.  Why doesn’t Jack understand the significance of the Earl story – until the post-divorce scene, I mean?  Because it’s something that Jack and Ennis together can overcome – in Jack’s mind.  Jack couldn’t overcome Ennis’ marriage.  But Jack and Ennis together can overcome the Earl story – to Jack’s way of thinking – he’s a dreamer.  Remember, we all know about Ennis’ fears because we all have seen the entire movie.  But Jack doesn’t know any of this until the reunion river scene.  During the reunion motel and river scenes, Ennis mentioned the family (wife and kids) reasons in five different ways.  He only told the Earl story once.  And, it was after all else had failed to impress Jack.  Even after Ennis had mentioned the family reasons twice, Jack still mentioned living together.  Then three more family reasons.  Then the Earl story.  Jack didn’t see it for its huge significance to Ennis’ entire being.  To Jack, they could overcome it together, so, to Jack, it was secondary.  Jack’s light bulb went on when he saw Ennis look at the white truck pass by out in the middle of nowhere.  From this point on, this is what Jack has to contend with.

I found this *very* compelling argumentation on something I've been discussing here and there on the net a bit without any good resolution (why would Jack be so utterly happy and think Ennis was ready for the sweet life when getting a notification that the divorce came through?) And still, I can't manage to agree with you. Here are some reasons for that, for you to pick apart at your leisure.   ;)

When he comes up unannounced after the divorce, Jack tells Ennis he "got [the] card the divorce came through". "It came through" - that means he knew the dicorce was in the works, didn't he? That's how I understand his line. I'm not certain of the process of divorce in Wyoming in the 70's, how long it would take from Alma filed till the divorce was granted, but I would guess it'd take  a longer period of time than from the last time Jack and Ennis saw each other (which likely was not more than 5 months?). If, at their last meeting, as seems likely from Jack's words, Ennis told Jack that a divorce was in the works, *that* would have been the time for Jack to think that the Alma obstacle to their "sweet life"  had been removed. He'd have no reason to curb all his enthusiasm till the divorce actually and finally came through.....

This tells me that there must have been something else in Ennis's note, something more than a flat "I'm divorced" statement. Don't know what that may have been - but it was something that must have led Jack to think, erroneously, that not only Alma but also the Earl obstacle was out of the way. The white truck and Ennis's immense discomfort then brought him crashing down to earth.  :'(

Yes, Jack is a dreamer, but not so much so that he isn't aware of (and adapts his public behaviour to) the codes and rules that apply to the time and place where he lives. He full well knows there is a *huge* hurdle for them to overcome in trying to "ranch up" together. Stories like the Earl one can't have been one-of-a-kind, unfortunately, and Jack grew up under the same conditions that Ennis did. He can't have been unaware of the  danger of physical violence and of social contempt and ostracism for anyone being perceived as "queer". In fact, IMO we see him demonstrating the awareness of this several times: In his uncomfortable reaction to Jimbo and those people Jimbo goes to talk to. In the way he (as far as we know) keeps his gay activities well away and invisible from the community where he lives (going to Mexico, going up to Wyoming). And in his story about "expecting to get shot when he goes to see the ranch foreman's wife"....  I know this is only my interpretation, but hey - IMO, Jack is adapting the real story to fit the talk with Ennis there, but he's drawing on real events and real concerns. To me, what he's really saying is that he's got an affair with Randall going (the first affair so close to home and so close to his local community) - and he's aware of a real danger of physical retaliation from the community associated with this. (Which IMO in the end also did in fact cause Jack's untimely death, but that's another discussion!) Yes, I know - doesn't mean he's scared enough by all that to not continue seeing Randall anyhow - but at least he's entirely *aware* of the risk and so wouldn't make lightly of Ennis's fear, especially when he knows Ennis has been so directly subjected to witnessing an actual gay-bashing in his formative years.

I understand that your "Jack is a dreamer" aspect doesn't mean he's not aware of any of the above, but that he optimistically thinks that "amor vincit omnia". Still on the background of all the above, however much he thought he and Ennis could overcome the ghost of Earl (and I agree he obviously *did* think that) I find it hard to believe he would *underestimate* the Earl story's significance once he heard it, underestimate its devastating impact on Ennis, when listening to Ennis's tortured account of the event.

And moreover, Jack's the one that understands the taciturn Ennis best. I'm not implying he understands all, as he demonstrates later on in his "I'm not you" accusation, for instance, but he *is* the one who is able to draw him out and make him open up a little. He's the one who's best able to understand that when Ennis eventually comes up with this story and uses more words than he's used on much else it's not because it's just "one more thing" - but THE thing - the big thing that Ennis hasn't brought up till now, because it is so painful, so raw, and so connected to what and who he has so far not wanted to admit to being - even to Jack, even after they started having sex. The only reason he seems to manage to tell it at all, after having shielded his eyes thoroughly with his hat, is because he needs to shut jack up from further arguing by giving Jack the real reason why he can't commit any more than once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere. I think Jack sees that. Yes, Ennis mentions the family reasons many more times, but still I think Jack's responses are significant in interpreting whether or not he understands the relative significanse of Alma and Earl. At the whole Alma obstacle he scoffs "You and Alma, that's a life?". When learning of Earl though, he is schocked "You seen this"  (According to the script he goes white and can hardly believe what he's hearing, feeling as if he's in a free-fall. I think HL is better than JG in going pale when the script demands it..........) Then he proceeds to reach out to Ennis, to comfort him, to calm him down. Ennis is obviously deeply emotional over this, about as emotional as Jack ever sees him till their last meeting - and Jack does seem speechless at what Ennis has just told him. At least, he seems to completely understand that the true obstacle is here, out in the open - and he doesn't protest any more because he sees that he can't fight this, not at once. It will take comforting, and calming down, and time........

So, in my opinion he does understand what an enormous hurdle Earl's death is to his and Ennis's happiness - how hard it will be to overcome. Jack *does* see it for its huge significance to Ennis’ entire being. Based on his understanding of their time and place, based on his knowledge of Ennis, based on his reading of Ennis's emotions and reactions. So however happy he is that the divorce came through - I just can't see him disregarding Earl to the point of thinking Ennis would be immediately ready for ranching up because the marriage was over.

Except.... that is what we seemingly see him do.  ??? ??? As you've eloquently pointed out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:20:22 pm by Mikaela »

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:02:06 am »
And still, I can't manage to agree with you. Here are some reasons for that, for you to pick apart at your leisure.   ;)

I’ll attack it with a vengeance.

When he comes up unannounced after the divorce, Jack tells Ennis he "got [the] card the divorce came through". "It came through" - that means he knew the dicorce was in the works, didn't he? That's how I understand his line. I'm not certain of the process of divorce in Wyoming in the 70's, how long it would take from Alma filed till the divorce was granted, but I would guess it'd take  a longer period of time than from the last time Jack and Ennis saw each other (which likely was not more than 5 months?). If, at their last meeting, as seems likely from Jack's words, Ennis told Jack that a divorce was in the works, *that* would have been the time for Jack to think that the Alma obstacle to their "sweet life"  had been removed. He'd have no reason to curb all his enthusiasm till the divorce actually and finally came through.....

Oh, my.  I do disagree.  Not at all with your argument… but your conclusion.  I don’t have any problem with the way you laid out the events.  Could be.   But, I disagree starting with the word “that” in asterisks.   No, I don’t doubt it would have put Jack in a perky mood to hear of the divorce in the works, but, because of how long divorces can take, Jack would have still been on the wait for the actual final decree.  After all, that is when he showed up.  He probably didn’t curb ALL of his enthusiasm, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it was the note from Ennis that got Jack to drive up there and still be quite perky. 

Additionally, when I think about it, had Ennis told Jack *in person* about the pending divorce, on one of their trips, would not Jack have said something like “sweet life” at *that* time; thus, wouldn’t Ennis have dropped the sack of potatoes onto Jack *then*?  But he still came up looking all perky.  He had expectations  -- expectations that hadn’t already been dashed.

This tells me that there must have been something else in Ennis's note, something more than a flat "I'm divorced" statement. Don't know what that may have been - but it was something that must have led Jack to think, erroneously, that not only Alma but also the Earl obstacle was out of the way. The white truck and Ennis's immense discomfort then brought him crashing down to earth.  :'(

First, it’s very possible that Ennis’ note said: “Hey Jack, Alma filed for divorce last April and it just came through…”  So maybe he didn’t know anything about it before that one card.

Well, I can go with Jack thinking that both obstacles *were* out of the way because I argued that Jack was unaware of the deep significance of the Earl excuse to Ennis’ psyche.  Whether Jack was actively thinking about the Earl excuse or not doesn’t seem to be a factor since Jack learned more about its depth when the white truck drove by.

Yes, Jack is a dreamer, but not so much so that he isn't aware of (and adapts his public behaviour to) the codes and rules that apply to the time and place where he lives. He full well knows there is a *huge* hurdle for them to overcome in trying to "ranch up" together. Stories like the Earl one can't have been one-of-a-kind, unfortunately, and Jack grew up under the same conditions that Ennis did. He can't have been unaware of the  danger of physical violence and of social contempt and ostracism for anyone being perceived as "queer".

Yes, I can go with this.  But, Jack didn’t experience the Earl story as Ennis did.  First-hand is much stronger than second.  Also, Jack was more of a risk-taker.  And by this, I don’t mean that he would see danger and bite his thumb at it.  Rather, he would be more willing to take the risks of social contempt and ostracism.

In fact, IMO we see him demonstrating the awareness of this several times: In his uncomfortable reaction to Jimbo and those people Jimbo goes to talk to.

To me, his initial reaction to Jimbo’s decline was more of “Damn!” than of fear of blowing his cover.  After all, he didn’t hightail it out of there instantly, like a scared little rabbit.  He lingered and watched Jimbo walk over to the other guys and lingered a bit more and didn’t actually leave until the bartender made the calf roping comment.  It seems to me that that’s what pushed him over the edge.  Disgust at the bartender’s snide remark.  Of course, coupled with the fact that he just "outted" himself.

In the way he (as far as we know) keeps his gay activities well away and invisible from the community where he lives (going to Mexico, going up to Wyoming).

Yes.  But, he’s not just hiding a gay affair – which, for him, in the time and place, certainly required a big invisibility shield – he’s also hiding an *affair*.  He would have probably acted the same way had his extracurricular activities been with a woman.  For example, had Ennis been Denise, and lived in Wyoming, Jack would have traveled… to Wyoming.  Besides, having a gay affair when one is married is something to be very careful about with regard to one’s community.  Regardless his level of “gay bash concern,” his travel to Mexico is reasonable.

And in his story about "expecting to get shot when he goes to see the ranch foreman's wife"....  I know this is only my interpretation, but hey - IMO, Jack is adapting the real story to fit the talk with Ennis there, but he's drawing on real events and real concerns. To me, what he's really saying is that he's got an affair with Randall going (the first affair so close to home and so close to his local community) - and he's aware of a real danger of physical retaliation from the community associated with this. (Which IMO in the end also did in fact cause Jack's untimely death, but that's another discussion!) Yes, I know - doesn't mean he's scared enough by all that to not continue seeing Randall anyhow - but at least he's entirely *aware* of the risk and so wouldn't make lightly of Ennis's fear, especially when he knows Ennis has been so directly subjected to witnessing an actual gay-bashing in his formative years.

Yep.  No doubt.  Plus, Jack tenderly rubbed Ennis’ ear after asking “You seen this?”  Jack was the comforter.  He knew of the dangers and that the Earl story would have *an* effect on Ennis.  And, I’m sure Jack always knew that the effect on Ennis would be greater than on Jack, himself; but, Jack still don’t know the exact depth of damage that had been done to Ennis at the reunion river scene.  He learned more and more about it as time went on – as did we.

I understand that your "Jack is a dreamer" aspect doesn't mean he's not aware of any of the above, but that he optimistically thinks that "amor vincit omnia". Still on the background of all the above, however much he thought he and Ennis could overcome the ghost of Earl (and I agree he obviously *did* think that) I find it hard to believe he would *underestimate* the Earl story's significance once he heard it, underestimate its devastating impact on Ennis, when listening to Ennis's tortured account of the event.

Right, as to the whole first part.  But, as to the underestimating part… this is on a continuum.  On one end, Ennis has NO fear; on the other end, Ennis has ALL fear.  Jack’s understanding wasn’t all the way to either end.  It was somewhere between the two polar opposites.  And it was more than likely closer to the ALL end than the NO end.  But, the behaviors Jack displays and the fact that he suggested that Ennis move to Texas – as if that would be any safer – tell me that Jack’s estimation is farther from the ALL end than is Ennis’ actual placement on the continuum… very near the ALL end.

And moreover, Jack's the one that understands the taciturn Ennis best. I'm not implying he understands all, as he demonstrates later on in his "I'm not you" accusation, for instance, but he *is* the one who is able to draw him out and make him open up a little.

Are you saying he’s good with a can opener?

He's the one who's best able to understand that when Ennis eventually comes up with this story and uses more words than he's used on much else it's not because it's just "one more thing" - but THE thing - the big thing that Ennis hasn't brought up till now, because it is so painful, so raw, and so connected to what and who he has so far not wanted to admit to being - even to Jack, even after they started having sex.

Well, this is one valid way to look at it.  However, it’s also valid to think that Jack didn’t get the whole picture from Ennis -- that is, Jack may have been confused about the significance due to all of the reasons Ennis was giving.  It wouldn’t be the first time (or the last) that Jack misread Ennis and was confused about exactly where Ennis stood.

The only reason he seems to manage to tell it at all, after having shielded his eyes thoroughly with his hat, is because he needs to shut jack up from further arguing by giving Jack the real reason …

Sure.  To Ennis.  And to us.  But to Jack, just another reason.  This is consistent with the behaviors Jack displays later in the film regarding his understanding.

At the whole Alma obstacle he scoffs "You and Alma, that's a life?". When learning of Earl though, he is schocked "You seen this"  (According to the script he goes white and can hardly believe what he's hearing, feeling as if he's in a free-fall. I think HL is better than JG in going pale when the script demands it..........)

No doubt.  (Side note here that may get me in a heap of trouble:  Heath EARNED the Oscar.  Jake earned the nomination.)  I don’t mind going to the short story or script when it’s consistent with the film.  But when it’s inconsistent… Honestly, Jack does NOT look like he’s in a free-fall.  Even after he heard about Ennis’ parents’ deaths, he said “Shit.  That’s hard.”  Here, he just gave a little ear rub.  How precious was that?!

Ennis is obviously deeply emotional over this,

Sorry.  This made me LOL.  This is kind of funny.  In a bittersweet kind of way.

…about as emotional as Jack ever sees him till their last meeting - and Jack does seem speechless at what Ennis has just told him. At least, he seems to completely understand that the true obstacle is here, out in the open - and he doesn't protest any more because he sees that he can't fight this, not at once. It will take comforting, and calming down, and time........

I’ll agree with the “as emotional” part… somewhat on “speechless”… but his behavior in the post-divorce scene seems, to me, to contradict the rest.  I have to stick with the idea that Jack heard the Earl story, understood that it was deeply emotional for Ennis, but did not understand its true weight, and thought of it as something that he, himself, would be able to overcome (if it were his problem), and thought of it as something they, together, could overcome with Jack’s help, reassurance, etc. – over time.  But as the film progresses, Jack sees it’s not able to be overcome.  And this reflects the notion that he’s also getting clued in more and more throughout the film about the depth of its impact.

So, in my opinion he does understand what an enormous hurdle Earl's death is to his and Ennis's happiness - how hard it will be to overcome.

OK.

Jack *does* see it for its huge significance to Ennis’ entire being.

I can’t go this far.

Based on his understanding of their time and place, based on his knowledge of Ennis, based on his reading of Ennis's emotions and reactions.

Even with all of this and a slice of apple pie, too.

So however happy he is that the divorce came through - I just can't see him disregarding Earl to the point of thinking Ennis would be immediately ready for ranching up because the marriage was over.

Agreed.  100%.  Jack was… oh, oh… I’m going to get myself in trouble again… Jack was, well, a bit foolish – in the post-divorce scene.

Except.... that is what we seemingly see him do.  ??? ??? As you've eloquently pointed out.

Oh, no.  I have never believed that Jack was being realistic in the post-divorce scene, if this is what you’re referring to.  No.  Jack was aware of other obstacles.  And he knew they’d have to be overcome.  But, for those seven years he was so focused on the marriage reason that … well, he acted foolishly.  (Oh, I know this one is going to come around and kick me in the butt…)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:09:51 pm »
Thank you for this analysis.   For some reason, the question I come away with is, why do you think Alma Jr. said, "MAMA, I want crayons."  Why not "Papa....?"

And something I wanted to post in another thread, but will do so here - You are the legendary ClancyPants??!!  Jesus H!  No wonder I read your ideas and analysis so eagerly.  I really, really, really hope you stay.  Clarissa

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:53:53 pm »
I was just rereading the part of the story today where Alma Jr. is described as like Ennis because of her beanpole length.   :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"