Author Topic: Question for all Brits  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Question for all Brits
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:55 am »
Hiya,

we plan to go to England this year for our family vacation. We'd like to rent two self-catering holiday cottages; the first week up in the North, probably Yorkshire, maybe Lake District, maybe even Scotland (Hi Kelda!),the second week down South, maybe Kent.

I've sent enquiries to several cottages and already gotten replies. All of those who have vacancies offer their cottages for a higher price than it's said on their hompages. In all cases it's almost exactly 30 pounds more than the prices listed (I looked up the prices for peak season, so it can't be a seasonal addition). I'm somewhat surprised by this.

Is it usual to put false/lower prices on the hompages to get people interested? Or are there additional taxes and it's usual to not list them? Of course I can ask back to the respective hosts, but it seems odd to me that all offers are higher than the price lists on the homepages are.

And if by any chance you have a recommodation for a holiday cottage (or a B+B which sleeps five), feel free to post it here/PM me.

Thanks everybody in advance!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Question for all Brits
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:07 pm »
That seems very odd to me.I have had many holidays in cottages in Scotland and the price was always the same.I always thought that the advertised price had to be honoured.

You have to go to Scotland !!!  Go up to the highlands, to Wester Ross, it is simply stunning. Go in May if you can that is usually the best weather. Just ask Mandy, she is American but her idea of Heaven is Wester Ross. The mountains and lochs, the pure white deserted  sand beaches, all simply breath taking. You will not regret it.

At the risk of offending people, I always thought Cheshire was prettier that Yorkshire, but I am from Cheshire. The lake district is very pretty, but IMHO not a patch on the highlands of Scotland. Think mountain and lake scenes BBM and that I think is a fair comparison. The people in the highlands are so friendly.You can dine on fish and shellfish caught that day.

Oh I am going to have to go now.It is making me homesick and we are still landlocked here.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:42:38 pm »
Oooh! Chrissi - exciting you'll be in the UK.

It does seem a bit weird that they're all up by £30 - I have no idea why!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:39:45 pm »
That seems very odd to me.I have had many holidays in cottages in Scotland and the price was always the same.I always thought that the advertised price had to be honoured.

You have to go to Scotland !!!  Go up to the highlands, to Wester Ross, it is simply stunning. Go in May if you can that is usually the best weather. Just ask Mandy, she is American but her idea of Heaven is Wester Ross. The mountains and lochs, the pure white deserted  sand beaches, all simply breath taking. You will not regret it.

At the risk of offending people, I always thought Cheshire was prettier that Yorkshire, but I am from Cheshire. The lake district is very pretty, but IMHO not a patch on the highlands of Scotland. Think mountain and lake scenes BBM and that I think is a fair comparison. The people in the highlands are so friendly.You can dine on fish and shellfish caught that day.

Oh I am going to have to go now.It is making me homesick and we are still landlocked here.

Thanks Fi. I agree, Scotland IS stunning!
We've been to the Lake District before, also to Yorkshire, Scotland (in particular Galloway and the Northern Highlands, we also did the Whiskey Trail), the South East, the South West, the West Midlands, Wales, and what else not. In short, we've been to Great Britain many times and pretty much all over the place :laugh:.

I liked it everywhere, but particularly Scotland and the Yorkshire Dales I loved the most. And Dartmoor/Exmoor (Devon). And... I think I better stop here.

For several reasons, we've decided on Yorkshire for our first week this year.
The second week will be somewhere in the South East, not necessarily Kent, but maybe Kent. We're travelling with three kids in the car and don't want to have to drive through the whole South of England on the last day to get back to the ferry.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »
Oooh! Chrissi - exciting you'll be in the UK.

It does seem a bit weird that they're all up by £30 - I have no idea why!

Me neither. I didn't find out anything. But as long as the end price is a reasonable one, it's ok with me.

Yes, we'll be near you. Well, "near" is relative. I just checked the distance between York and Glasgow, just for fun and because I'm curious. It's still 348 km/ 216 miles.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »
Have fun Chrissie!  UK is one of the best places to visit in the world!
I´d recomend Wales as well!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:58:31 pm »

You bet!  Heaven on Earth.  I want my ashes scattered there when I pass.  Fi knows the spot.  Where the air smells like brine, and the rainbows shine...

Fi, can your PC wizkid scan that photo I gave you, to post on here somehow?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »
What dates roughly will you be in Yorskhire? I'll be there on 5/6 June
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:46 pm »
You bet!  Heaven on Earth.  I want my ashes scattered there when I pass.  Fi knows the spot.  Where the air smells like brine, and the rainbows shine...

Fi, can your PC wizkid scan that photo I gave you, to post on here somehow?

He could if we had a scanner that works !!!!!

Chrissi, If you are going to Yorkshire, you must visit York city. It is really beautiful, the Minster, shambles, castle, museum, boat trips etc.
 Also If you do, visit Betty's tearoom and have one of the amazing cakes for me. !!

The Dales are beautiful too. I am just a bit biased coming from Cheshire. !

Oh dear, having a homesick day.The bluebells and snowdrops will be out in the orchard of our old farmhouse, the daffodils not long after. The air, come March will be crisp, with a hint of smoke from the wood burning fires, rather than BBQ's and round about now on a Saturday, I would be heading home from eating out, to snuggle up by the side of the fire.

On the other hand, I would awake tomorrow, with stiff fingers, knees toes, back ache etc. So maybe it is best to just live for the now.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:59:28 pm »
Kelda we'll be in Yorkshire during the second half of July or beginning of August. We're bound to the school holidays of course.

Fiona big hug against being homesick: {{{Fiona}}}