Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 18956 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Conservative or Liberal?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 10:00:49 am »
Text deleted by original poster.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:05:05 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:12 am »
well, I'm pretty conservative on most issues.
My Grandpa told me once when I was younger and asked what a republican was and what a democrat was he answerd "If you want to control your own money, if you think you can do things for yourself better than the government can do it for you,if you want to take responsibility for your own life and day to day doings you are a republican. If you think the government knows better what to do with your money, if you think the government should have more control over you life and day to day doing then you are a democrat.
It was an easy decision for me. Thats a very simplified explanation and the republicans as of late sure haven't held to those stadards.
but all in all i guess I'm still conservative on most issues and less so on others. I guess I am more fiscally conservative and not as much on the social side of things.  I'm for less taxes more personal responsibility and less federal government and more personal freedoms as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others and disrupt society. So whatever that makes me, thats what I am.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 11:53:05 am »
But all in all i guess I'm still conservative on most issues and less so on others. I guess I am more fiscally conservative and not as much on the social side of things.  I'm for less taxes more personal responsibility and less federal government and more personal freedoms as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others and disrupt society. So whatever that makes me, thats what I am.

I think you have plenty of company there, Rich. The trouble is that of late Republicans have gone social conservative as well as fiscal conservative, and it seems to me have emphasized the social conservative program. They claim to be against big government, except they don't seem to have trouble letting the government intrude into bedrooms and gynecologists' offices.

My view, FWIW.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 01:08:41 pm »

I take Jeff's comment to mean that the social conservatives in the Republican party feel no hesitation at having government control/restrict/meddle with the rights of gay people and the rights of women to make their own medical decisions, along with their doctors of course. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

karen1129

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 02:12:50 pm »
Why do you think it is over the top?

For a great many conservatives, that is truly how they view gay rights and abortion issues.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »
Why do you think it is over the top?

For a great many conservatives, that is truly how they view gay rights and abortion issues.

Yes, I agree Karen.  Anti-gay and anti-abortion positions seem to be fundamental to a lot of social conservative platforms.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »
Not just this, but it is the OFFICIAL NATIONAL REPUBLICAN PLATFORM.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »
I take Jeff's comment to mean that the social conservatives in the Republican party feel no hesitation at having government control/restrict/meddle with the rights of gay people and the rights of women to make their own medical decisions, along with their doctors of course. 

That's exactly what I meant, Amanda.  ;)

Republicans don't like big government, except when it restricts the rights of people Republicans don't like. Then they're perfectly OK with big government.

And I also meant to suggest that the party is now dominated by right-wing socio-religious conservatives, for whom the social issues are more important than fiscal conservatism.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 02:59:54 pm »
I've been thinking about this 'extreme' idea and I have mixed feelings about the word and its usage.  I wrote a pretty extreme post, but I stand behind every word as my personal opinion on matters.  I thought it might be too over-the-top, so I PM'd garycottle to ask if he'd rather I move it to my blog and he said no, so I'll let it be.

It should go without saying that I'm opposed to extreme actions Timothy McVeigh or Osama bin Laden style.  I wonder if it is true that the source of the polarization we see in our nation is really a result of extremist viewpoints.

For instance, you're never going to get me to concede to the RR that Roe v Wade should be overturned.  And it's not because I'm pro-abortion.  I think if sex education were properly implemented, there'd be little to no need of abortion services.  I feel the way I do because I believe very strongly in a woman's right to privacy and reproductive freedom.

Is that extreme?  I don't see much middle ground.  I'm even opposed to required parental notification because there are too many cases where a male family member is the father.  A sad state of affairs, but I would rather place the trust in the young woman to make the decision that is best for her, hopefully with some counseling from professionals involved.

Nevertheless, there's a world of difference between thinking blowing up buildings, murdering innocent people, is a good solution compared to holding strong convictions on political issues with evidence to support your positions, lobbying your representatives to implement policies you agree with and to oppose those you don't, and supporting/voting for candidates who hold views similar to your own.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

pnwDUDE

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:10 pm »

It should go without saying that I'm opposed to extreme actions Timothy McVeigh or Osama bin Laden style.  I wonder if it is true that the source of the polarization we see in our nation is really a result of extremist viewpoints.

Lynne, I believe it is. For rigid liberals and entrenched conservatives, there is no middle ground regarding the issues (which we don't need to list, cause' we know em'). With no middle ground or flexibility, we remain at odds. This is why peaceful negotiations regarding ideals or tyrany have rarely worked as long as man has walked this earth. What has worked is war because there is no middle-ground.

If I were to say I am extremely conservative (which no one here has said he/she is, and I don't think there is one that is a Bettermost member), what would one assume.  I'm an atheist. I vote for equal rights. I have and will continue to vote for Democrats if they stand for fiscal conservatism and my idea of what government is or isn't.  Extreme liberalism has as many negatives as extreme conservatism in the eyes of a right-leaning individual and for this discussion, I'm not thinking of bin Ladens & McVeighs, but they are true extremists and my statement got people thinking.

When the only thing people have in common is these threads, we become icons and avatars. When we post an ideal and it flies in the face of someones values/beliefs there seems to be this need by some to prove the other wrong. I don't reckon if we all had the wherewithall to get together once a week or month for drinks, etc., the constant hot topic would be politics, religion, and trying to prove each other wrong. When we know where each other is coming from, decide if other social components are compatible with ours, and move on.

Brad