Author Topic: A Strange Bill Cosby / Brokeback Mountain Coincidence  (Read 2418 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
A Strange Bill Cosby / Brokeback Mountain Coincidence
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:39:11 pm »
Today is the Coz's birthday, in case anyone was unaware.  And since his photo was on the main page of the IMDb (which I can only assume most of us are familiar with) I decided to visit his page and read some of his quotes -- since he always has very interesting things to say.

I started just glancing down through the trivia while I was there and something caught my eye.  A strange Brokeback Mountain-esque coincidence that I'm not sure if it has ever been pointed out or not.

Now, I had known that he had a son that was tragically murdered years ago... but I didn't really know the specifics.  But according the the IMDb, his son's name was Ennis and in January 1997 he was murdered while he was fixing a flat tire.  Does this not strike anyone as hauntingly strange?

Just some food for thought:  if I'm not mistaken (and forgive my true Broke self if I am) the story was published in the Fall of 1997, no?  Do you think that this incident could have possibly had some sort of influence upon her writing?  Or is it just one of those "Napoleon Dynamite" coincidences?**

(Note that Napoleon Dynamite was an alias that Elvis Costello used but it was unknown to the filmmakers of Napoleon Dynamite until well into production.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: A Strange Bill Cosby / Brokeback Mountain Coincidence
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:54:16 pm »
Yes, I think Proulx was probably working on the story then. But the circumstances were different than in Jack's case. Ennis Cosby was shot while on the side of the road.

By the way, this is also the 800th birthday of Gengis Khan. Lots of fellow Cancerians doing things other than mothering and nurturing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »
WOW!    Good memory there guy!    

Very interesting coincidence indeed!     I recall Ann Proulx saying that she was having a hard time coming up with an ending for the story.   Much like all of us, we felt soo bad for Bill Cosby for his loss.   What a tragic and shocking way to be killed.   No doubt it would be a shocking way to end her story.   Coincidence or not.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 06:03:35 pm »
Interesting!

I dont believe in coincidences in general, but it is strange as you put it: considering the name Ennis, him tragically getting killed and while fixing his car.  :(
Hard to say if Annie had any of these events in mind, but interesting point there StudDuck!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:16:41 pm »
 :) I don't think one is necessarily related to the other - I remember reading that like everything else in BBM the names were symbolic and Ennis was a loner just as his name suggests, but that said, ithe Cosby connection  is rather interesting when you think about it........................ :-\
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist