Author Topic: Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela - New story by Testa Dura!  (Read 23782 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Greetings!
I haven't read the first two posted chapters of this yet.  But, I was so excited to see that Testa Dura started a new story that I thought I'd post it here.  Based on her summary, it looks like it's going to be quite a serious story with some difficult topics covered.  I'm also very excited by the title of this story, since I live in Pittsburgh.  The Allegheny and the Mon. are two of the 3 major rivers in Pittsburgh.
:)

Here's a link to the first chapter.

http://testa-dura.livejournal.com/30506.html
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela - New story by Testa Dura!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:22 pm »
I've read it, and it's good. Serious topic, handled with restraint but taking care not to diminish its severity. Good introduction and characterization of the main characters and the events leading up to the major turning point that brings them to meet. I'm looking forward to reading more.

I did a doubletake at the fic's name though, even after I realized it was the name of two rivers. I have no idea at all how to pronounce those names!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:48 am »
I've read it, and it's good. Serious topic, handled with restraint but taking care not to diminish its severity. Good introduction and characterization of the main characters and the events leading up to the major turning point that brings them to meet. I'm looking forward to reading more.

I did a doubletake at the fic's name though, even after I realized it was the name of two rivers. I have no idea at all how to pronounce those names!

Thanks Mikaela.  It's nice to hear about it from someone who's already read the first chapters.  I still haven't started reading it.  The topic of domestic violence seems a little too heavy for my mood tonight.  But, I will definitely read this story.  The whole topic of Ennis and domestic violence reminds me of a few very heated debates in Open Forum on the topic (even extending to debates about how to think about him punching Jack).  I'll be curious about how the topic is handled in this story.  I loved 48 Days and Book of Dreams.  I was so surprised to see her start a new story!  Somehow I felt like she might be done after Book of Dreams.  I'm happy to see her active again.

And, LOL, about the names of the rivers.  Well, Allegheny is also the name of the county where Pittsburgh is located so it's kind of a common word here.  It's pronounced "Al-a-gain-y".  The Monongahela is a trickier word to pronounce and many folks simply call it the Mon.  It's pronounced something like "Mon-on-ga-hey-la".  It's the last part of the word that can sound a little strange.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:11:20 am »
As much as I was hoping for more from Tes, the premise of the story pretty much turns me off, sorry to say. Since she's such a good writer I decided to give it a chance and overflew the two chapters. I will continue to do so until I either get hooked on the story or see that it's really not for me.

About the title, lol, my reaction was close to Mikaela's. I typed Allegheny into my didtionary even before I clicked the link, but nothing came up :laugh:. Thankfully she added a pic in her journal, so with one click to the story it became clear.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:32:32 am »
Thanks for the rec. I really enjoyed those two chapters and it´s interesting to get a glimpse of the darker side of Ennis.  Will definately keep reading.
The stories she has written earlier never caught my interest much, but I´m hoping this one will

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
The stories she has written earlier never caught my interest much, but I´m hoping this one will

I'm sorry to hear this Bud!  I recommend giving 48 Days and Book of Dreams another try at some point.  Maybe someday when you're really hunting around for a new story to begin reading.  I think those two stories are true classics in the world of BBM fanfic.  I do recall that it took me some time to get into 48 Days way back long ago when I started reading it.   But now they're some of my favorites.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:30:27 am »
I'm sorry to hear this Bud!  I recommend giving 48 Days and Book of Dreams another try at some point.  Maybe someday when you're really hunting around for a new story to begin reading.  I think those two stories are true classics in the world of BBM fanfic.  I do recall that it took me some time to get into 48 Days way back long ago when I started reading it.   But now they're some of my favorites.

Yeah, I really am looking for something new to read (if feels like I´ve read EVERYTHING) so I think I will give them another chance. :)

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:45:44 am »
I haven't read 48 days/BoD either.
I seem to recall I saw a synopsis somewhere, way back when, to the effect that it was a spiritual/religious fic that took place in the afterlife....? Am I completely misremembering that, or is that really the premise for the storyline of those fics?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
I haven't read 48 days/BoD either.
I seem to recall I saw a synopsis somewhere, way back when, to the effect that it was a spiritual/religious fic that took place in the afterlife....? Am I completely misremembering that, or is that really the premise for the storyline of those fics?

I think you must be mixing the description up with another story.  That's not the synopsis for 48 Days or Book of Dreams.  There's nothing religious/supernatural or spiritual about the stories.  They're both very down to earth stories.

48 Days is about the circumstances leading up to how Jack and Ennis move in together along with Bobby.  And Book of Dreams is the sequel. Both stories are about their struggles to establish a routine domestic life together, and fitting their children into their lives.  One of the nice things about both stories is the Testa Dura created some very good and compelling "other characters."

I'd say in a nutshell that they're domestic/relationship oriented stories.

Here's the link to the BetterMost "48 Days" thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4272.0.html

And, here's the linke to the BetterMost "Book of Dreams" thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7836.0.html

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:25 pm »
Thank you, Amanda!

I'm hereby giving those fics a healthy shove upwards on my list over "must reads".