Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Blu-ray  (Read 24952 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Brokeback Mountain on Blu-ray
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:29:53 pm »
I was at Best Buy today and according to their flyer, BbM is coming out on Bluray on Tuesday (March 10th -$21.99 CAN).  I don't know if there are ay new special features included but I doubt it.  I've pretty much given up on getting a decent release.

I just checked Amazon.ca and they are selling it for $20.95 CAN.  Anyone planning on getting it?

EDIT:  Here are the specs:

Tech specs will see a BD-50 dual-layer disc with 1080p/VC-1 video and English DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround.
Extras will match the previous HD DVD and DVD special editions, with a wealth of making-of featurettes: "A Groundbreaking Success," "Music From the Mountain," "Impressions From the Film," "On Being a Cowboy," "Directing From the Heart: Ang Lee," "From Script to Screen" and "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain."
The Blu-ray will also come BD-Live-enabled, and with the My Scenes bookmarking feature.
Suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $34.99.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:39 pm »
My friends and I chipped in and got the Hi-Def version already. You're right about the lack of special features, sorry to say.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:50:15 am »
[quoted]
Extras will match the previous HD DVD and DVD special editions, with a wealth of making-of featurettes: "A Groundbreaking Success," "Music From the Mountain," "Impressions From the Film," "On Being a Cowboy," "Directing From the Heart: Ang Lee," "From Script to Screen" and "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain."
The Blu-ray will also come BD-Live-enabled, and with the My Scenes bookmarking feature.
Suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $34.99.[/i]

But still no deleted scenes, even in a separate section.  I'll think I'll pass.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:26:12 pm »
Wonderful review by Ben Williams (although he got some details wrong...a mountain in Montana??) along with the Blu-Ray offer on Amazon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=3741&show=review

Offline optom3

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:00:11 pm »
Wonderful review by Ben Williams (although he got some details wrong...a mountain in Montana??) along with the Blu-Ray offer on Amazon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=3741&show=review

What a beautifully erudite review. It was like rediscovering my original BBM fever all over again. I may get it simply for the enhanced music experience and greater audibility of Ennis's few but oh so poignant words.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:43:23 pm »
Yes, this part is interesting:

"Thank goodness for lossless audio encoding. Heath Ledger’s performance as Ennis Del Mar, while brilliant, has always been slightly difficult to comprehend, due to the actor’s use of a particularly grumbly and deeply pitched voice. I’ve seen Brokeback Mountain on a number of occasions, both theatrically and on DVD; Mr. Ledger’s voice has always seemed difficult to discern and frustratingly unintelligible. Remarkably, with this Blu-ray’s use of 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio for the film’s audio, I was, for the first time, able to discern some of his most harshly grumbled lines. This improvement alone, makes lossless encoding worth the price of admission."

And it's great have a brand new rave review of Brokeback Mountain written in 2009 for people to see!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:34:10 am »

And it's great have a brand new rave review of Brokeback Mountain written in 2009 for people to see!

I agree! And I'm getting majorly bugged that there's no in-depth review of the movie, book length. We just may have to take matters into our own hands!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:14 pm »
Hmm if only I had a Blu Ray player lol. I think I will be fine with the two disc special edition for now. :)
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Romeo164

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:14 am »
I've seen BBM on high def and it's totally worth it. The color alone is like going to a national park by yourself.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:41 pm »
But still no deleted scenes, even in a separate section.  I'll think I'll pass.

Marcia, you saw the movie in high definition already...at the service for Heath and Jackie on February 9, 2008.