Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 260296 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2009, 07:51:03 pm »
typing the next chapter in the opus at this hour!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2009, 09:35:37 pm »
and here we go

http://louisev.livejournal.com/318148.html  Chapter 117
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2009, 10:09:49 pm »
and here we go

http://louisev.livejournal.com/318148.html  Chapter 117

SPOILERS

Joe has a nice light touch with people - he brooks no nonsense - but he can be deceptively amiable about it.  Smart guy.  Of course, he might need more than a light touch when he gets home and sees Doris ..... :laugh:

I like how it went with Nick and Jeremy.  Nothing overly dramatic, but very real and matter of fact. Nick with his “All that runnin you do, gives ya strong muscles”   and Jeremy with his “Yer right on time, boy" and squeezing Nick’s hand.  The issues between them still remain, of course.  But it was clear from both their attitudes that neither one of them is going anywhere.

"...an the man I live with thinks everybody I look at twice wants ta jump inta bed with me.”

Hmm...well, actually Jeremy, Paula, Janice and Katie Ann probably would all like to jump into bed with you (or did at one time).  I understand why he thinks he should talk to Ellery about it b/c Colson is a jealous guy, but I don't know.... a part of me thinks that Colson might actually give him better advice than he thinks. 

Nick gave him a tender smile. “I’ll drive as slow as ya like, sweet thing.”

Aww....there's his Nicky.   :)    Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:41 pm »
awwww and here I was thinking maybe it was too boring and there should be another knock-down drag-out confrontation!

some confrontations take longer to engage though...!

muah hahahah

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:43 pm »
awwww and here I was thinking maybe it was too boring and there should be another knock-down drag-out confrontation!

Nope, that was just right.  It wouldn't have felt believable for them to get into a big argument again right then and there. 

some confrontations take longer to engage though...!

Oh, yeah, Jeremy and Nick are quite skilled at building up to confontations!  And there's always something or someone around to give it a little push!   :-\

muah hahahah

Uh oh.  This is going to be a doozy, I think!   :laugh:

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2009, 11:02:26 pm »
all very true.  I have sometimes noticed that in serial stories, such as fan fiction, there seems to be a tendency to pile on the tragedy, or the drama, or the confrontation, but there are times when the most heat that gets generated between people in normal every day life is the petty arguments and bickering between people who really do care about each other but sometimes don't get along.  And that is part of what this story is about, too, the inner psychological life of a community which is for the most part, cohesive, but suffers from incursions from drug dealers, and the regular average people get caught up in petty greed and lies, sickness, accidents and aging... but life goes on anyway.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #416 on: July 11, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »
Chapter 118!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/318316.html 

SPOILERS

“Hey, darlin,” Colson whispered, leaning close to Ellery’s ear. “You in there?”

Awww.... the way he whispers and leans in close, desperate for the real Ellery to emerge.... :(

I like how their conversation veered from prosaic to humorous ("..a cottony ring dusted with Downy Fabric Softener.” :laugh:) to life-changing - very believable and natural.  But the time period immediately following a traumatic event, especially when you haven't even physically recovered, is not the time to be making life-changing decisions. 

Wes and Edna's presence is a comfort and a relief - different from the sundry others who've crossed their doorway, all of whom, while sincerely concerned for Ellery, have their own little agendas and issues regarding their relationship with him. 

What Wes said about Ray Keynes gave me pause.  I don't think Nick has any interest in returning to the Carousel, but it's worrying that there are people who think Nick was part of some undercover operation.   :-\  I'm guessing, since Ellery wasn't aware of the rumors, that Jeremy isn't either. 

“We can’t have ya backslidin on gettin yer weight up a bit.”

No, we can't.  That's a vicious cycle with Ellery, and I'm glad Edna's on top of it.  Thanks, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »
 spoilerish

I guess it was time to put some of the passion and longing in the forefront of their struggle to regain their contact with one another and to get down to what is really important - to both Colson and Ellery.  Their relationship to one another.  Colson has been through enough rounds of narcotics with Ellery not to take what he says seriously or give it any weight - but it does trouble him when he brings up his fantasy of quitting, whether it be the more fantastical "Tahiti getaway" version or his "hobby ranch" version, it's the same fantasy with different minor details.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #419 on: July 12, 2009, 06:12:32 pm »
And the next chapter is now posted!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/318648.html  Chapter 119

And yes, this story IS coming to an end.  Soon!

spoiler

This chapter made me consider that perhaps my next story should be called "The Homewrecker of Greenlea County"