Author Topic: Triskaidekaphobia  (Read 12616 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Triskaidekaphobia
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:58:14 am »
Triskaidekaphobia - the fear of the number 13.

We just had two consecutive Friday the 13ths, one in February and another one again in March. We will yet have another Friday the 13th this November.

Are you extra cautious on Friday the 13th? Or is it just another day of the week to you?

I'm a bit superstitious, but I think I got that from my Mother! >:(  ::)

I'm not exactly paranoid on Friday the 13th, but I don't want to tempt fate either. And I'm not above rapping on wood a few extra times on each Friday the 13th. Or throwing some salt over my shoulder when nobody is looking! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Triskaidekaphobia
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:41:55 am »
I picked NOT suspicious but don't like taking chances!

why not be careful? what do you have to lose?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:44:59 am »
I picked NOT suspicious but don't like taking chances!

why not be careful? what do you have to lose?

EXACTLY Jess!!! :laugh:

We have another one coming up this November. Get your salt ready! ;)

injest

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:46:49 am »
I'm not very superstitious, David.  And I usually have to be reminded that it's Friday the 13th.  Otherwise, I wouldn't even notice.   :P

Now...um...could you tell me what year this is?    8)  

;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:47:43 am »
I'm not very superstitious, David.  And I usually have to be reminded that it's Friday the 13th.  Otherwise, I wouldn't even notice.   :P

Now...um...could you tell me what year this is?    8)  

I envy you Gary. I think I learned my superstition from my Mother. She was VERY superstitious. She used to set acorns in the window sills to prevent lightening strikes. And brooms on the front porch to ward off house haints. She did all kinds of crazy things.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 01:51:40 am »

;D

That will be a bad year, according to the Aztec calendar. And Nostradamus. The end of the world in 2012, according to them. So let's all keep our fingers crossed and toes crossed, light candles, chant to the four winds, burn sage, place acorns on our window sills and brooms on our porches, throw salt over our shoulders, avoid walking under ladders and hope and pray it doesn't happen.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 01:59:04 am »
I picked 'other'.  13 has always been lucky 13 for me.  Good things have happened to me most of my life that are associated with the number 13.  :)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 02:32:33 am »
I picked "other" as well for the same reason as Del. It feels lucky for me so hopefully my job interview will net positive results.

Heathen

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:08:11 am »
And brooms on the front porch to ward off house haints.

I'm only scared of it when it comes in October.  Otherwise, it's just another day.

Um, David -- what's a "house haint"?  Is that something I should be a-skeered about?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:31:42 pm »
I'm only scared of it when it comes in October.  Otherwise, it's just another day.

Um, David -- what's a "house haint"?  Is that something I should be a-skeered about?

A haint is a ghost. My mom often called them haints. If I remember correctly, a house haint will enter the home and try to attach itself to a specific person. So it's definately something you don't want in your house. A broom on the front porch will ward them off according to superstition. :-\

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:18:01 pm »

I voted "other"... because 13 (or 31... any combo of 3 and 1) has been a strangely lucky number in my family for a long, long time... going back at least to my grandparents on my mother's side.  There are lots of interesting coincidences through my family's history with 1 and 3's together.   So, I quite like the number 13.  I like black cats too... so, in many ways I tend to flip at least some traditional superstitions on their head. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 02:32:52 pm »
I'm not superstitious about Friday the 13th, but I have a friend who is very superstitious about it.  He has to have knee surgery sometime soon, but he wouldn't even make the call to the surgeon yesterday to schedule it and he told me that any checks he wrote out yesterday he dated today!

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:07 pm »
I voted "other"... because 13 (or 31... any combo of 3 and 1) has been a strangely lucky number in my family for a long, long time... going back at least to my grandparents on my mother's side.  There are lots of interesting coincidences through my family's history with 1 and 3's together.   So, I quite like the number 13.  I like black cats too... so, in many ways I tend to flip at least some traditional superstitions on their head. 

Heh, I'm with you.  I used to own a black cat who was very loved by me.  So now, whenever a black cat crosses my path, I can't help but feel warm fuzzies.  Love black cats and the number 13 is my lucky number.  Hmmm, are there any ladders nearby I can walk under?  ;D

injest

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:35 pm »
Heh, I'm with you.  I used to own a black cat who was very loved by me.  So now, whenever a black cat crosses my path, I can't help but feel warm fuzzies.  Love black cats and the number 13 is my lucky number.  Hmmm, are there any ladders nearby I can walk under?  ;D

this just explains SOOO much....

;D ;D

*RUNS*

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:37 pm »
this just explains SOOO much....

;D ;D

*RUNS*

You can run, but you can't hide!   Release the hounds!!!

injest

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:22 pm »
You can run, but you can't hide!   Release the hounds!!!

:o :o :o

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »
Sadly, I checked yes.  Friday the 13th doesn't bother me especially, but I'd certainly rather not fly on the 13th, regardless of the day of the week.  ;)

Ever since digital clocks came into vogue, I've developed the habit of waiting til the display is at a number that doesn't add up to or include the number thirteen before I'll get out of bed first thing in the morning.  Guess it's a neurotic way to try to control whether it's a good day?  As you might suspect, it doesn't always work.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 12:12:20 am »
Talking about digital clocks......So many times, far too many times for it to be a coincidence, when I look at the time on a digital clock, it seems to be 11.11 or 1.01 or some other combination of ONES.

I can even be asleep and wake up, and for some unknown reason look at the clock, and so many times it is a combination of ONES.

I dont know whether it is a good omen or a bad omen.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 12:14:40 am »
Talking about digital clocks......So many times, far too many times for it to be a coincidence, when I look at the time on a digital clock, it seems to be 11.11 or 1.01 or some other combination of ONES.

I can even be asleep and wake up, and for some unknown reason look at the clock, and so many times it is a combination of ONES.

nope not an omen! just the universe's way of saying you are number 1!!!

;D ;)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
That will be a bad year, according to the Aztec calendar. And Nostradamus. The end of the world in 2012, according to them. So let's all keep our fingers crossed and toes crossed, light candles, chant to the four winds, burn sage, place acorns on our window sills and brooms on our porches, throw salt over our shoulders, avoid walking under ladders and hope and pray it doesn't happen.

The Chinese calendar apparently predicts it, too.  There's a special on the History Channel about it that I've seen a couple of times.  Eek!  :o

Apparently, Earth will line up with the center of the galaxy around mid-December 2012, creating Lord knows what kind of magnetic pull and possibly touching off mega-disasters.  This is upsetting.  I hope this doesn't mean I'll miss the second Hobbit movie, which won't open until Christmas of that year!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 02:10:29 pm »

It means the universe is trying to communicate with you using computer language of 1 and 0s.  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 02:10:49 am »
I voted "It's just another day for me."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 02:19:12 am »
The Chinese calendar apparently predicts it, too.  There's a special on the History Channel about it that I've seen a couple of times.  Eek!  :o

Apparently, Earth will line up with the center of the galaxy around mid-December 2012, creating Lord knows what kind of magnetic pull and possibly touching off mega-disasters.  This is upsetting.  I hope this doesn't mean I'll miss the second Hobbit movie, which won't open until Christmas of that year!  ;D

Oh my God!! Even the Chinese predicted it. That's three different groups. I won't be looking foward to 2012, that's for DAMN sure. :P

Something terrible is bound to happen with all of these different people predicting the same year. >:(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 12:04:30 pm »

Yes, I've heard this about 2012 too.  Yikes!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 12:59:14 pm »
Oh my God!! Even the Chinese predicted it. That's three different groups. I won't be looking foward to 2012, that's for DAMN sure. :P

Something terrible is bound to happen with all of these different people predicting the same year. >:(

At the end of the TV special, after doing their best to scare the bejeezus out of viewers, the voiceover guy admits that the coincidence of dates in all those cultures could just signify the end of a cycle and also a new beginning.  So think positive, folks!  ;)

Here's a link I found that gives me hope that I may yet see "The Hobbit II":

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:07 pm »

Something similar happened to me Sue. About 5  years ago I kept waking up exactly at 4:17 am. This happened for about a week. Every single night I would wake up at 4:17 and I had no idea why it was happening. Then suddenly I stopped doing it. I found it very alarming while I was doing it. It was pretty creepy.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »
At the end of the TV special, after doing their best to scare the bejeezus out of viewers, the voiceover guy admits that the coincidence of dates in all those cultures could just signify the end of a cycle and also a new beginning.  So think positive, folks!  ;)

Well a new beginning COULD be a very good thing! Maybe like an age of enlightenment perhaps. Still yet, I'm not looking forward to 2012. It sounds like something is going to happen, and I don't like not knowing what it is. :P

Offline optom3

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:10:47 pm »
I voted yes, I don't like taking chances.  I had a phase when I could not sleep past 3.00 am. I took tablets, no coffee,you name it, but I would always wake up somewhere between 2.45 and 3.00 am. Not only that, it is a horid time to be awake.It seems like the whole world is asleep except for you.

Since I have been working as a cashier, I also hate 6-6. When it rings up on the till, I always change it P.D.Q.See I   can't even type the numbers.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »

Yep.  I really wouldn't worry.  Yes, the Mayans predicted the end of one era and the beginning of another in 2012, but they also believed the gods needed blood sacrifices to make the sun rise each day.  Obviously they were wrong about that, why not this?  Plus, Nostradamas was predicting events well into the year 3000 c.e., so have a little faith.  I'd be more worried about the NEO flyby in 2030.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:35 pm »
I voted yes, I don't like taking chances.  I had a phase when I could not sleep past 3.00 am. I took tablets, no coffee,you name it, but I would always wake up somewhere between 2.45 and 3.00 am. Not only that, it is a horid time to be awake.It seems like the whole world is asleep except for you.

Since I have been working as a cashier, I also hate 6-6. When it rings up on the till, I always change it P.D.Q.See I   can't even type the numbers.

If I get that number (666) when they ring me up I'll buy something extra. I don't like that number either. :P

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »
If I get that number (666) when they ring me up I'll buy something extra. I don't like that number either. :P

Hard to believe some people are still paranoid about Emperor Nero after all this time!!   8)