Author Topic: Anyone for Time Travel?  (Read 9602 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Anyone for Time Travel?
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:04:36 am »
Anyone for Time Travel?

If you could travel anywhere in time or space,
where would you go?

Screened on Australian television last night was the brilliant British ITV production of "Lost in Austen," in which a young woman passes through a time portal and finds herself in the magically enchanting world of Jan Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," with all its intrigue and subterfuge, elegance and mystery. "Lost in Austen" is wonderfully romantic, as well as being laugh out loud funny. The world of Jane Austen is brought so beautifully to life with its dazzling costumes, palatial residences, sumptuous interiors and gracious manners, that when it came time for our time traveling protagonist to pass back through the time portal, back to modern-day London, I found myself yelling at her, "Stay! Don't go!" Should you have an opportunity to see "Lost in Austen," be sure to have tissues handy. Not because it's sad, but because it's such a beautiful love story. Good love stories always make me cry. Oh, and for the gay viewer, there's a saucy little sub-plot that will make you smile, and would have made Jane Austen roll over in her grave! But I digress.

The idea of traveling through time got me thinking about where I'd like to travel to in time, given the opportunity. After just seeing, "Lost in Austen," I'd have to choose "The World of Jane Austen." What about you? Imagine a time portal has just opened before you. Where would you go?

To whet your appetite, here are some stills from "Lost in Austen."

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Anyone for Time Travel?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:13:37 am »
ANYWHERE but here! So I voted "other" Kerry. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:15:50 am »
But if I had to choose, I'd pick the past. It's safer because we already know what happened. I'd probably enjoy travelling back to the 1700's. Or late 1600's. Back to the time of Bach and Mozart. I think life was probably so much simpler and honest back then. :)

And their music ROCKED!!! ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22:03 am »
But if I had to choose, I'd pick the past. It's safer because we already know what happened. I'd probably enjoy travelling back to the 1700's. Or late 1600's. Back to the time of Bach and Mozart. I think life was probably so much simpler and honest back then. :)

And their music ROCKED!!! ;)

I agree, David. That would, indeed, be a wonderful time to visit. And exciting, too!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »
Kerry, I've always been fascinated with the idea of time travel (and space travel, too)!  I selected quite a few options.  I'd love to be able to go back to the late 1700s and visit with the framers of the U.S. Constitution.

"Lost in Austen" sounds great.  :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
Kerry, I've always been fascinated with the idea of time travel (and space travel, too)!  I selected quite a few options.  I'd love to be able to go back to the late 1700s and visit with the framers of the U.S. Constitution.

"Lost in Austen" sounds great.  :)

Yes! I'd love to visit with the framers of the Constitution too! It would be fascinating to stand there and watch them discuss it and then sign it. :)

Did you ever see the movie "Time After Time" Marie? Malcolm McDowell, Mary Steenburgen and David Warner star in it. It's a movie about a time machine. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »
I picked Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, and Other, that being, say, the second half of the nineteenth century. That's far enough away, but you still start to have some modern conveniences, like indoor plumbing.  ;D

David, I loved Time After Time. Haven't seen it in years. First thing I ever saw Mary Steenburgen in.  :)

And then there is Somewhere in Time. Sigh. Young Christopher Reeve, young Jane Seymour, and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." ... Sigh.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »
I picked other meaning "no time travel for me."

A few salient facts:

No dental anesthesia
No antibiotics
No indoor plumbing

No way.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:11:45 pm »
Did you ever see the movie "Time After Time" Marie? Malcolm McDowell, Mary Steenburgen and David Warner star in it. It's a movie about a time machine. :)

Yes, "Time After Time" is wonderful, David.  You've given me a great reminder - maybe I'll check it out of my library this weekend and watch it again!

And then there is Somewhere in Time. Sigh. Young Christopher Reeve, young Jane Seymour, and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." ... Sigh.

And Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel, too! A beautiful movie. 

I picked other meaning "no time travel for me."

A few salient facts:

No dental anesthesia
No antibiotics
No indoor plumbing

No way.

LOL.  Well, I'd only time travel with the condition that they are short trips and I can come back whenever I'm ready! 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »
"Lost in Austen" is great. Mr Darcy is always very...welll :-*

There is gonna be a Lost in Austen movie as well

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »
I picked Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, and Other, that being, say, the second half of the nineteenth century. That's far enough away, but you still start to have some modern conveniences, like indoor plumbing.  ;D

David, I loved Time After Time. Haven't seen it in years. First thing I ever saw Mary Steenburgen in.  :)

OT (I don't want to disrail Kerry's thread)

Jeff, I loved Somewhere In Time. I saw that movie three times at the theater I think. I had a huge crush on Christopher Reeve when I was a teen. He was quite sexy in Superman.

And I love Mary Steenburgen too. There was this one movie she starred in but I can't think of the name. It's a movie where she plays an author living in Florida during the early 1900s. It's a beautiful movie. I've been a big fan of hers ever since. I wish I could remember the name of the movie. Later on today I'll check IMDb and look it up by doing a search under her name. :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »

I voted the same as you. I would love the debauchery of Elizabethan England.I would also have loved to have been alive in Italy at that time. Italy always has and will be, one of my favourite countries. Couple the debauchery of Elizabethan England with Italian men, OMG heaven !!!!

Actuallly, just give me an Italian man, period.I dated one when I was 16, he was 26 and had a white Alfa Romeo sports car.He broke up with me after 6 months and I was heart broken, my parents were delighted.

Paganini reminds me of my brother playing  beautifully on the violin.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:22 pm »
OT (I don't want to disrail Kerry's thread)

And I love Mary Steenburgen too. There was this one movie she starred in but I can't think of the name. It's a movie where she plays an author living in Florida during the early 1900s. It's a beautiful movie. I've been a big fan of hers ever since. I wish I could remember the name of the movie. Later on today I'll check IMDb and look it up by doing a search under her name. :)

I believe that's Cross Creek. She played Marjorie Kinnan (sp?) Rawlings, who wrote The Yearling.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »
I believe that's Cross Creek. She played Marjorie Kinnan (sp?) Rawlings, who wrote The Yearling.

Yup! That's the one Jeff! I loved that movie. I wish I had it on DVD. And the scenery in the movie is very beautiful too. :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:05 pm »
I voted the same as you. I would love the debauchery of Elizabethan England.I would also have loved to have been alive in Italy at that time. Italy always has and will be, one of my favourite countries. Couple the debauchery of Elizabethan England with Italian men, OMG heaven !!!!

Actuallly, just give me an Italian man, period.I dated one when I was 16, he was 26 and had a white Alfa Romeo sports car.He broke up with me after 6 months and I was heart broken, my parents were delighted.

Paganini reminds me of my brother playing  beautifully on the violin.

Mmmmmmmm, sexy Italian men of the Renaissance? Yes, pleeeeese!  :D

"The Cardsharps" by Caravaggio, 1596
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
nobody voted for Medievel Europe or another dimension!!

one is too scary and the other is too yucky!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »
I voted for Ancient Greece, The Future, and Other Dimensions.  I'm with Louise about the absence of antibiotics and adequate plumbing during many periods of history, but I still would love to see the height of Greek civilization since I've been fortunate enough to see it during modern times.

Otherwise, I'm all about the future and other dimensions.  I think it would be so exciting (and perhaps dangerous) to see what becomes of civilization and humankind in the next 100, 500, 1000, or more years.

Other dimensions?  It boggles my mind, but if we had the technology to do it, I'd go for it!  Maybe I could be an explorer and they'd name a street or town after me!

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:23 am »
Some people have theorized that UFOs are actually time machines from the future. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I believe at some point in the future people will figure out how to travel back and forth through time. And if they do figure it out, they're probably popping in and out of our time right now.

If I think about it too much it starts freaking me out. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. :P

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:11:08 am »
Some people have theorized that UFOs are actually time machines from the future. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I believe at some point in the future people will figure out how to travel back and forth through time. And if they do figure it out, they're probably popping in and out of our time right now.

If I think about it too much it starts freaking me out. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. :P

hey I get freaked out when people fly to Australia....

where ARE they during that time when they 'lose' a day...*shudder*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 01:17:23 am »
hey I get freaked out when people fly to Australia....

where ARE they during that time when they 'lose' a day...*shudder*

I don't know Jess. Maybe it's something like what happens in that movie, The Langoliers. ;)

injest

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 01:19:06 am »
I don't know Jess. Maybe it's something like what happens in that movie, The Langoliers. ;)

dont' scare me!!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 01:24:51 am »
traveling back in time might not work out so great for me  O0 so I'm gonna go with another dimension/parallel universe.And Atlantis because I didn't see it at the movies  8)

Heathen

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:25:45 am »
Gee, the present is scarey enough without going back to the past or into the future.

All I can think of is that if I was in any of those ancient times, I would want to be wealthy. I dont want to be a slave, or a soldier, or lugging those big blocks of stone to build the pyramids.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 08:33:31 am »
The past is overrated.

Like Louise said it would be like going to a 3rd world nation.

Hope your shots are up to date, don't drink the water and you'd better have a strong stomach for people who have body lice, don't bathe regularly - if at all - and lack sanitation.

I would only like to time-travel if I could be invisible in some sort of time/space bubble.  I could see, but not be seen.  Otherwise, I could pop into Imperial Rome and become a slave.  I could appear in Renaissance Italy and instantly be attacked by street thugs, raped and then imprisoned as a whore or witch.  Jane Austen's Regency England?  Unless you had money and a name, you were nothing but dirt and beyond the pale of 'decent' society.  You weren't even allowed into some parts of town without being run off.

I still voted ancient Rome, another planet and the future, but only if I can go as a protected 'tourist'.  ;D  I would have also liked to have seen the ancient world - before humans, with dinosaurs, and early north America, before there were Europeans here.  Feudal Japan would also be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:01:14 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 10:30:27 am »
Mmmmmmmm, sexy Italian men of the Renaissance? Yes, pleeeeese!  :D

They knew how to dress back then, especially the 15th century. ...  8)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 09:43:46 pm »
They knew how to dress back then, especially the 15th century. ...  8)

You can say that again and mean it. And it wasn't just the way they dressed. They knew how to strut their stuff. They knew what they had and how to sell it.

The 16th century wasn't bad either.

Detail from "The Calling of St Matthew"
by Caravaggio, 1599
γνῶθι σεαυτόν