Author Topic: Anyone for Time Travel?  (Read 9668 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Anyone for Time Travel?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »
I picked Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, and Other, that being, say, the second half of the nineteenth century. That's far enough away, but you still start to have some modern conveniences, like indoor plumbing.  ;D

David, I loved Time After Time. Haven't seen it in years. First thing I ever saw Mary Steenburgen in.  :)

And then there is Somewhere in Time. Sigh. Young Christopher Reeve, young Jane Seymour, and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." ... Sigh.

OT (I don't want to disrail Kerry's thread)

Jeff, I loved Somewhere In Time. I saw that movie three times at the theater I think. I had a huge crush on Christopher Reeve when I was a teen. He was quite sexy in Superman.

And I love Mary Steenburgen too. There was this one movie she starred in but I can't think of the name. It's a movie where she plays an author living in Florida during the early 1900s. It's a beautiful movie. I've been a big fan of hers ever since. I wish I could remember the name of the movie. Later on today I'll check IMDb and look it up by doing a search under her name. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »
I picked Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, and Other, that being, say, the second half of the nineteenth century. That's far enough away, but you still start to have some modern conveniences, like indoor plumbing.  ;D

David, I loved Time After Time. Haven't seen it in years. First thing I ever saw Mary Steenburgen in.  :)

And then there is Somewhere in Time. Sigh. Young Christopher Reeve, young Jane Seymour, and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." ... Sigh.

I voted the same as you. I would love the debauchery of Elizabethan England.I would also have loved to have been alive in Italy at that time. Italy always has and will be, one of my favourite countries. Couple the debauchery of Elizabethan England with Italian men, OMG heaven !!!!

Actuallly, just give me an Italian man, period.I dated one when I was 16, he was 26 and had a white Alfa Romeo sports car.He broke up with me after 6 months and I was heart broken, my parents were delighted.

Paganini reminds me of my brother playing  beautifully on the violin.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:22 pm »
OT (I don't want to disrail Kerry's thread)

And I love Mary Steenburgen too. There was this one movie she starred in but I can't think of the name. It's a movie where she plays an author living in Florida during the early 1900s. It's a beautiful movie. I've been a big fan of hers ever since. I wish I could remember the name of the movie. Later on today I'll check IMDb and look it up by doing a search under her name. :)

I believe that's Cross Creek. She played Marjorie Kinnan (sp?) Rawlings, who wrote The Yearling.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »
I believe that's Cross Creek. She played Marjorie Kinnan (sp?) Rawlings, who wrote The Yearling.

Yup! That's the one Jeff! I loved that movie. I wish I had it on DVD. And the scenery in the movie is very beautiful too. :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:05 pm »
I voted the same as you. I would love the debauchery of Elizabethan England.I would also have loved to have been alive in Italy at that time. Italy always has and will be, one of my favourite countries. Couple the debauchery of Elizabethan England with Italian men, OMG heaven !!!!

Actuallly, just give me an Italian man, period.I dated one when I was 16, he was 26 and had a white Alfa Romeo sports car.He broke up with me after 6 months and I was heart broken, my parents were delighted.

Paganini reminds me of my brother playing  beautifully on the violin.

Mmmmmmmm, sexy Italian men of the Renaissance? Yes, pleeeeese!  :D

"The Cardsharps" by Caravaggio, 1596
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
nobody voted for Medievel Europe or another dimension!!

one is too scary and the other is too yucky!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »
I voted for Ancient Greece, The Future, and Other Dimensions.  I'm with Louise about the absence of antibiotics and adequate plumbing during many periods of history, but I still would love to see the height of Greek civilization since I've been fortunate enough to see it during modern times.

Otherwise, I'm all about the future and other dimensions.  I think it would be so exciting (and perhaps dangerous) to see what becomes of civilization and humankind in the next 100, 500, 1000, or more years.

Other dimensions?  It boggles my mind, but if we had the technology to do it, I'd go for it!  Maybe I could be an explorer and they'd name a street or town after me!

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:23 am »
Some people have theorized that UFOs are actually time machines from the future. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I believe at some point in the future people will figure out how to travel back and forth through time. And if they do figure it out, they're probably popping in and out of our time right now.

If I think about it too much it starts freaking me out. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. :P

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:11:08 am »
Some people have theorized that UFOs are actually time machines from the future. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I believe at some point in the future people will figure out how to travel back and forth through time. And if they do figure it out, they're probably popping in and out of our time right now.

If I think about it too much it starts freaking me out. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. :P

hey I get freaked out when people fly to Australia....

where ARE they during that time when they 'lose' a day...*shudder*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 01:17:23 am »
hey I get freaked out when people fly to Australia....

where ARE they during that time when they 'lose' a day...*shudder*

I don't know Jess. Maybe it's something like what happens in that movie, The Langoliers. ;)