Author Topic: He Was A Friend of Mine..  (Read 11611 times)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
Re: He Was A Friend of Mine..
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:24:57 pm »
I thought, "He died all alone," was, "He died on the road," which just made things worse because it made me think of Ennis thinking of Jack's death, so that I could hardly stand to listen to it.

You are not alone!  I've never looked up the lyrics myself but I could swear to you that is what Willie is singing.  That's how I sing it even!  I had no clue *lol*  I'm not sure "He died all alone" makes things any better for me ... that is certainly fitting as well.   :(

but it is perfectly worded for poor Ennis at the end of the movie.

This is exactly what I've thought from the very beginning.  The words just seem to fit Ennis so perfectly you could swear it was written for the movie.  The first dozen times I watched the movie I couldn't even bare to listen to this song during the credits ... it totally ripped my heart out!

I have never heard Bob Dylan's rendition and that's just as well because Bob is not (in IMO) a very good singer

Haha, another thing we agree on!  (Although I will agree that his magic is in his song writing!).  Bob Dylan actually scares me.  I think he is a very scary looking man and I can't bare to watch him perform on TV *lol*  It's a running joke with friends/family now - "Cover your eyes Amber here comes Bob!"

"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:18:03 pm »
Tell you what, I'm notorious for mishearing lyrics.

I thought, "He died all alone," was, "He died on the road," which just made things worse because it made me think of Ennis thinking of Jack's death, so that I could hardly stand to listen to it.

By the end of the theatrical run, I was rushing out of the theater as soon as the final shot faded so I wouldn't have to listen to it.

:'(

I thought the same thing!!!

Does anyone know where to find the lyrics for "A Love That Will Never Grow Old", "I Don't Want To Say Goodbye" and "Maker Makes"? I think I know the majority of the lyrics ... but since I misuderstood "He died all alone" as "He died on the road" .... I think it would be good to check myself.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 09:35:16 pm »
I thought the same thing!!!

Does anyone know where to find the lyrics for "A Love That Will Never Grow Old", "I Don't Want To Say Goodbye" and "Maker Makes"? I think I know the majority of the lyrics ... but since I misuderstood "He died all alone" as "He died on the road" .... I think it would be good to check myself.

I heard it that way, too!

Here's a link:
http://www.soundtracklyrics.net/b/brokeback-mountain.htm
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:46:02 pm »

Here's a link:

Here's one to Bob Dylan lyrics, specifically to "He Was a Friend of Mine."

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/wasafriend.html

Um ... maybe my hearing ain't always as bad as I sometimes think it is.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:09:40 pm »

Here's a link:

Thanks for the site. This confirms what you, Jeff and I have thought:

Willie Nelson lyrics,
He Was A Friend Of Mine lyrics

He was a friend of mine
Every time I think of him
I just can't keep from cryin'
'Cause he was a friend of mine

He died on the road
He died on the road
He just kept on moving
Never reaped what he could sow
And he was a friend of mine

I stole away and cried
I stole away and cried
'Cause I never had too much money
And I never been quite satisfied

He never done no wrong
He never done no wrong
A thousand miles from home
And he never harmed no one

He was a friend of mine
He was a friend of mine
Every time I hear his name Lord
I just can't keep from cryin'
'Cause he was a friend of mine.

Diane

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 10:19:15 pm »
I stand corrected.  Thanks, Jeff; et al!  I went back to listen to it.  The first time this phrase was sung it sounded like '...all alone' but the second line was more clear when I heard it. 

I wear hearing aids (really) and sometimes these things don't hear too well.

Neverless, I see my error but I think my version would have been better as Jack died because no one was there to turn him over which tells me that he was all alone.  Thanks again.  Ernie...Kajunite.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 09:05:40 am »
Tell you what, Ernie, that's why I can hardly stand to listen to it. 'Cause whether or not Jack was murdered or died as a result of an accident, he was still all alone ... on the side of that back road. He didn't deserve to "go" that way. No one does.

:'(

Thanks for starting this thread. At least this was one BBM mystery that could be resolved!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 11:36:44 am »
Thanks, Jeff!  Willie Nelson did not include the verse #3 in the movie song as you have it above.  The "He Never Done No Wrong" verse and it seems appropriate to me also.  Poor Ennis....

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:13 am »
Thanks, Jeff!  Willie Nelson did not include the verse #3 in the movie song as you have it above.  The "He Never Done No Wrong" verse and it seems appropriate to me also.  Poor Ennis....

It's on the CD. The CD is great! So many woinderful songs! I'd encourage you to get it!

;)
Diane

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 12:01:50 pm »
I love the soundtrack, too, but simply cannot listen to "He Was A Friend Of Mine"

Thinking about Jack all alone (even though those aren't in the lyrics) and dying, with "no one to turn him over"....well...  I feel like I'm going to keel over and pass out...

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:09:49 pm by Daphne7661 »
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...