Author Topic: He Was A Friend of Mine..  (Read 11607 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: He Was A Friend of Mine..
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 06:10:16 pm »
Have the CD, just can't understand Rufus.  Thanks.

He is hard to understand. The words are great .... it took me a long time to find those things, too!!  ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline azphil

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 03:20:33 pm »
Thank you, thank you, "dly64, for sharing Rufus' words to "Maker Makes" so that everyone here can consider their meaning, as concerns "our two guys."

To me, they tell so much of what Ennis must be feeling and thinking after that last teary-eyed, trailer scene of his, and during the difficult days to follow......without his Jack.  The song's words tell us of his struggle to get closer to Jack.......despite the efforts of some "higher power" to make that more difficult.

So sad, so sad.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 05:07:30 pm »
Thank you, thank you, "dly64, for sharing Rufus' words to "Maker Makes" so that everyone here can consider their meaning, as concerns "our two guys."

To me, they tell so much of what Ennis must be feeling and thinking after that last teary-eyed, trailer scene of his, and during the difficult days to follow......without his Jack.  The song's words tell us of his struggle to get closer to Jack.......despite the efforts of some "higher power" to make that more difficult.

So sad, so sad.

You are certainly welcome. The words are a killer. This song also kills me (this is played in Jack's truck right after he has left Ennis after having driven 14 hours to see him and is then turned away. Jack's hopes were dashed at that moment ... he knows that the life he had hoped to have with Ennis will never happen).

Love That Will Never Grow Old
Music By: Gustavo Santaolalla
Lyrics By: Bernie Taupin
Performed By: Emmylou Harris

Go to sleep, may your sweet dreams come true
Just lay back in my arms for one more night
I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes
Saying this one's the love of our lives.

Refrain:
Cause I know a love that will never grow old
And I know a love that will never grow old.

When you wake up the world may have changed
But trust in me, I'll never falter or fail
Just the smile in your eyes, it can light up the night,
And your laughter's like wind in my sails.

(Refrain)

Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rutted old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

(Refrain)
Diane

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 05:26:25 pm »
I read that because they used so little of "A Love..." in the film, it was ineligible for an Oscar for best original song.  I don't get why it was able to win a Golden Globe though.

One night when I was chatting with a bunch of folks, we were talking about King of the Road, and there are at least 5 versions available by different people.  The Proclaimers (with a heavy Scottish accent), Randy Travis, Dean Martin even. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 05:56:28 pm »
I read that because they used so little of "A Love..." in the film, it was ineligible for an Oscar for best original song.  I don't get why it was able to win a Golden Globe though.

One night when I was chatting with a bunch of folks, we were talking about King of the Road, and there are at least 5 versions available by different people.  The Proclaimers (with a heavy Scottish accent), Randy Travis, Dean Martin even. 

Juan

Hi Juan -

What are the rules for the Oscars? I wondered why "A Love ..." was not nominated. I thought that it had to be written for the film and appear somewhere in the body of the film or the first song when the titles role. If that would have been the case, the song would have been eligible. Just curious!

Do you have the CD? There is another version of "King of the Road"  .... sung by Teddy Thompson and Rufus Wainwright. I've learned to like it, but at first I wasn't so sure!
Diane

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 06:00:44 pm »
The word was that the song wasn't intelligible when it played. The music branch ruled it ineligible before the nominations even happened.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 05:39:30 pm »
Most of the songs in that cd seems to pertain to our boys in the movie.  They're all pretty darn good too.  My only complaint is that it's too short.  There are five or six songs I heard in the movie that were not in the cd, but overall I love it.  I'm glad the the sound track won the Oscar.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 08:35:33 pm »
Most of the songs in that cd seems to pertain to our boys in the movie.  They're all pretty darn good too.  My only complaint is that it's too short.  There are five or six songs I heard in the movie that were not in the cd, but overall I love it.  I'm glad the the sound track won the Oscar.

There is apparently a CD download that includes a bunch of the songs that are not on the "official" CD. Once I find out more info, I will let you know.
Diane

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:01 pm »
dly64...you are correct on what qualifies a song for oscar consideration:  must be an original song specifically written for the film, must be featured in opening and/or closing credits or somewhere in the film.  Unfortunately, it is not featured, but is heard for just a brief moment (I don't recall the scene at the moment).  I am very surprized that it was not heard in the closing credits, or perhaps as background during the "discovery of the shirts in Jack's closet".  Such a shame, for it is indeed a great song.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 10:33:31 pm »
dly64...you are correct on what qualifies a song for oscar consideration:  must be an original song specifically written for the film, must be featured in opening and/or closing credits or somewhere in the film.  Unfortunately, it is not featured, but is heard for just a brief moment (I don't recall the scene at the moment).  I am very surprized that it was not heard in the closing credits, or perhaps as background during the "discovery of the shirts in Jack's closet".  Such a shame, for it is indeed a great song.

I agree! I wish it would have been more prominent in the movie. (It was the song playing on the radio after Jack left Ennis having driven 14 hours to see him only to be turned away. DEVASTATING!!!)
Diane