Author Topic: Love, Death and the Whole Damn Thing  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Love, Death and the Whole Damn Thing
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:06:54 am »
Is it better to have loved passionately and died of a broken heart or never to have loved at all?

Earlier today, I was listening to Jessye Norman singing Dido's Lament from Henry Purcell's opera, "Dido and Aeneas." It occurred to me, "Is it better to have loved passionately and died of a broken heart or never to have loved at all?"

Ms Norman sings, "When I am laid in earth, may my wrongs create no trouble. Remember me, but ah, forget my fate."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:04:07 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: Love, Death and the Whole Damn Thing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:17:31 am »
Anyone who has ever loved passionatly, would never give up that experience.

Even if it meant dying of a broken heart, to have missed having had that love would be worse than never having felt it at all.

In my opinion, anyone who has never loved would feel just as bad as having a broken heart anyway.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

pnwDUDE

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:45 am »

Earlier today, I was listening to Jessye Norman singing Dido's Lament from Henry Purcell's opera, Dido and Aeneas." It occurred to me, "Is it better to have loved passionately and died of a broken heart or never to have loved at all?"

To have loved is to experience something those who have never loved have not. Simply put, one who dies experiencing love is far better than one who has never loved. The prior has the experience, the later not.

Which makes me think. When so much about the gay lifestyle has nothing to do with love but everything to do with sex, what becomes of those who 'fucked' the years away? I know many, many gay men that did just that. Passionate love was never a motivation. It was all about how many and how often and most aren't around to discover what love is all about. 

Jack and Ennis certainly experienced passionate love. Despite fatherhood and such, they found love in each other. That which they would have never found in Lureen and Alma. Would it have been better for them to marry and have kids like they did and never love passionately like only they could do (with another man)? Of course not.

Brad

injest

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:22 am »
doesnt' EVERYONE that loves passionately die with a broken heart? I cant see how you couldn't...the odds of dying at the exact moment in peace with your loved one are vanishingly small. I can't think of what it would be like to be the survivor, if something happened to Don.

but I know my heart would be broken.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:24:51 am »
I voted for "Love passionately and die of a broken heart."  It appears to be firmly in the lead.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:11:40 pm »
Anyone who has ever loved passionatly, would never give up that experience.

Even if it meant dying of a broken heart, to have missed having had that love would be worse than never having felt it at all.

In my opinion, anyone who has never loved would feel just as bad as having a broken heart anyway.

Yes, so well said!  Regret is the worst feeling of all.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:32:21 pm »
I voted other.  Why does passionate love have to lead to loss and death?  Why does the alternative have to be a lifetime without love?

In other words - why does it have to be so black and white?

Whatever happened to a happy ending?  Whatever happened to marrying one's best friend because we all know passion dies and what is left is the best love of all?  Passionate Love is the Drama Queen of Love.  The best we all can hope for is that we die in the arms of a loved one.  What's wrong with that?  SOMEone has to be left behind (unless they have some sort of sick suicide pact going) and I would be the last to wish unrelenting grief and pain on someone I loved.  I would want them to recover and move on and enjoy what's left of their life.  Not grieve over me so much that they die.  That's a horrible thing to want to happen or to experience.  In fact if it looks as if someone is going to do that, we act as if it's a mental illness and we try to treat such people.

Aeneas and Dido are a bad example.  They would have been together save for the gods' interference and Destiny, and after Dido commits suicide Aeneas is shocked to see her in his journey through Hades.  She rebuffs him and flies off with her deceased husband who she claims never left her.  So even passionate love was 2nd to loyalty and steadfastness in love.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:53:43 pm »
Hehe, I had a poll like this about a year ago:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22288.0/all.html

Yours is more ruthless with only three choices!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:59:33 pm »
Hehe, I had a poll like this about a year ago:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22288.0/all.html

Yours is more ruthless with only three choices!

Blame it on Henry Purcell. I love that aria.   :'(    :'(    :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν