Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 64978 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Kerry's Gallery
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:29 am »
Welcome to
Kerry's Gallery

Like most children, I started painting at an early age. Unlike most children, however, I never grew out of my passion and love for painting and drawing.

Though I have not worked professionally as an artist, my art has never ceased to sustain and nourish me throughout my life. It keeps me grounded and centered. My art provides a place where I can retreat and hide when the going gets tough. A safe refuge. My art is always there for me. When I am painting, time and space cease to exist for me.

I have opened this thread to act as an on-line gallery of some of the paintings I have scanned, and also as a place where I can showcase my new paintings as they are painted. In time, I will be auctioning some of my future paintings on e-Bay.

I have started with the above portrait of my friend, Geri. It is painted in the abstract style I was experimenting with at the time. It is influenced by stained glass window design and by the painting style of Amedeo Modigliani. It is executed in French Conte pastels on stretched canvas with highlights in oil paint. It is 90cm x 60cm (3ft x 2ft) in size.

I hope you will enjoy my gallery. You are very welcome to visit at any time, to see more of my paintings as they are posted. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:26:56 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »
A couple of years ago I became obsessed with the idea of winning the Archibald Prize, Australia’s preeminent portraiture competition.

The Archibald is conducted annually by the Art Gallery of New South Wales in Sydney, under the terms of the bequest of the late J.F.Archibald.

It is open to all entries, from anyone who cares to take the time to submit a painting. Thousands of entries are submitted each year. Of those thousands, a selection panel chooses a tiny fraction for hanging. Usually less than 50 paintings make it. Click the following link to see this year’s Chosen Ones. The 2009 exhibition is presently on show:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/finalists/archibald

The terms of the Archibald bequest stipulate that the portrait must be of an Australian who has distinguished him/herself in public life. For that reason, it is invariably always filled to overflowing with portraits of actors, socialites, writers, artists, professors, academics and members of the judiciary. Last year, Vincent Fantauzzo’s beautiful portrait of Heath Ledger was voted People’s Choice winner.

Like most amateur artists, my dilemma was that I do not mix in such illustrious circles that would bring me into contact with potential subject matter for a celebrity portrait. I painted the portrait of my boss, a professor, but decided against submitting it. The painting was relatively small and intimate by Archibald standards at just 60cm x 60cm (2ft x 2ft), so I set out on a quest to find a more suitable subject to paint.

I needed to submit a larger-than-life, razzle-dazzle, celebrity entry that would grab the judges’ attention. The person I chose to paint was Fabian Loschiavo, the Mother Inferior of the Sydney Chapter of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.

Here are three preliminary studies of Fabian, taken from life; left profile, full face and three-quarter face. They are rendered in Indian ink and charcoal on cartridge paper.  I found Fabian to be a delightful subject and not nearly as scary as I was expecting him to be.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:29:48 am »
The finished portrait of Fabian, formally titled “Mother M. Fabian Losciavo, SPI,” was painted in oils on canvas and is the largest painting I had undertaken up to that date, at 210cm x  120cm (7ft x 4ft). 

The Archibald Committee, in their wisdom, decided against hanging it. Though I was initially very disappointed by their decision, there was much that I ultimately learned from the experience. For one thing, I discovered that I was capable of painting really, really, BIG canvases. And for another, I was no longer intimidated by the Archibald. Better luck next time, I thought!

Here’s the finished portrait. Fabian is depicted in the habit of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, with lilac scapular and emerald stole. He is swinging a standard Catholic thurible, as used on the altar. Instead of incense smoke coming from the thurible, however, it is emitting a generous sprinkling of sparkling fairy dust. At Fabian’s feet is a second portrait of him in the form of a black and white photograph, minus the habit.

It may be necessary to scroll over ----> to see the entire image.

Mother M. Fabian Losciavo, SPI

Detail from Mother M. Fabian Losciavo, SPI
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:39 am »
I can see why the Archibald hesitated over it, remember Madonna? The Catholic church is a tad touchy about its things...

having said that it is startling and interesting. There is a lot to take in, and I wanted to keep looking...it draws me back to it. I could see this hanging in a gallery and having to return to it again and again. It is compelling. I expect it has even more of an impact in person but I like that it is in a more accessible venue here, Hung on a wall the face in particular would not be as intimate and easy for me to 'see'...

at first glance I thought "hmmm...yes, I see this is the same person that is in the studies but I like the studies better" but looking at the detail, it is all in his eyes....and you captured that same personality in both the studies and the final painting.

love the colors and the impact of the overall painting. I understand the reason behind the black and white picture but feel that the painting could have done without it. (but that is just my take on it....the name of the painting..."Mother?? FABIAN?? but that is a boy's name! and that is a habit...." would have really stopped me and made me look again and again...A more visereal feeling )

and I am not sure visereal is the right word...but it would have been more mysterious, more 'wake up and pay attention'...

all in all I LIKE very much.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:26:18 am »
Thank you kindly for your insightful feedback, Jess.   :)

Before entering Fabian's portrait in the Archibald, it was entered in the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras art exhibition, "Out Art," that same year. It was received well there. Opening night was very grand with lots of sponsor's champagne flowing. At the height of the festivities, Fabian himself made a very dramatic, impeccably choreographed entrance, in full regalia. After graciously receiving the plaudits of the assembled masses, he structured himself alongside his portrait for the remainder of the evening, from whence he held court. It was a wonderful evening. 

More posts to come. I look forward to reading your future comments.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:22 am »

Cross-section detail from "Mother M. Fabian Losciavo, SPI"
featuring the thurible, rosary, hand, fabric and fairy dust
(it may be necessary to scroll over --> to see the entire image)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:54:13 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:45:56 pm »
a small detail but the BEADS are rendered so beautifully...this painting is full of interesting little details. How long did it take you to paint it, Kerry?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:56:32 pm »
Kerry, your paintings are absolutely amazing! I had problems getting them to load up earlier. I only saw those little annoying red X's. I'm glad I tried it loading them again tonight. I had no idea you were so talented. I've seen your cartoons and I always thought they were very good, but these paintings are gorgeous! I love your use of colors. They are so textured, rich and interesting.

Thanks for posting them and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them hopefully! :D

We have so much talent here at Bettermost. Talent of all different kinds and I'm always happy when I discover yet another talented member here. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:21:10 pm »
a small detail but the BEADS are rendered so beautifully...this painting is full of interesting little details. How long did it take you to paint it, Kerry?

It probably took several months in all, Jess. A painting of such a large size is quite a commitment. Firstly, the canvas had to be sized, cut from the roll, and stretched over the wooden stretchers. After that, the canvas is primed (I like to apply at least 3 coats of primer), which gives it that tight, drum-like quality. After that comes the undercoat, base colour. It took me some time to locate Fabian. I had to make an appointment to see him and put my proposal to him. He was keen to have his portrait painted. He sat for me several times. I drew lots of preliminary drawings, not just of his face but also the habit, hands, thurible, etc. Lots of photos were also taken. After that, I pretty much work from the preliminary drawings and  photographs to reach the end result. Fabian only had to sit a couple of times during the paint application stage. His presence was only needed when I was painting the actual face itself. He didn't need to be there while I was painting the background and habit, etc.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:28:16 pm »
Kerry, your paintings are absolutely amazing! I had problems getting them to load up earlier. I only saw those little annoying red X's. I'm glad I tried it loading them again tonight. I had no idea you were so talented. I've seen your cartoons and I always thought they were very good, but these paintings are gorgeous! I love your use of colors. They are so textured, rich and interesting.

Thanks for posting them and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them hopefully! :D

We have so much talent here at Bettermost. Talent of all different kinds and I'm always happy when I discover yet another talented member here. :)

Thank you for your kind comments, David. Keep visiting. More paintings to be hung in the gallery shortly!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν