Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 64984 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:54 pm »
Thank you for your kind comments, David. Keep visiting. More paintings to be hung in the gallery shortly!  :D

Well get to hanging then Kerry! :-*

We'll be waiting!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:54 am »
Though portraiture is my first artistic love, I am also enormously fond of abstraction. I love the paintings of Mondrian, Kandinsky and Rothko.

Some years ago, I started painting small 10in x 8in (25cm x 20cm) abstract paintings for my own pleasure and entertainment. They are quite therapeutic to paint because of their small size (the larger canvases are just plain hard work) and I find the finished result conveys a certain contemplative, serene tranquility to any room where they are hung.

Here’s one such painting, in oils on canvas, which I have titled, “Isis in the Midnight Brightly.”

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:04:41 pm »
Kerry, I'm somehow just seeing this thread.

Beautiful! I'm not an artist so can't give much more input other than I like them very much!

And interesting to learn about the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. I had to google them.

I look forward to more!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:41 am »
I'm so pleased you like them, Kelda. More to come!   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 03:45:14 am »
Hey Kerry, thanks for sharing your paintings with us. I like especially the two abstract ones. No surprise there, I like abstract paintings in general. And I also like Kandinsky very much :D.
I also liked the idea of including a photo of Fabian into the painting. But I have to admit that the guy looks intimidating.
Looking forward to see more of your art.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:15 am »
Thanks for sharing your work with us, Kerry.  I've enjoyed looking at all the images.

I hope that one day one of your paintings will be picked to win the Archibald prize.  I can understand your dilemma in regards to not moving in illustrious circles, so I was wondering if it was necessary -- for the rules and/or for you -- to paint from studies of individuals who have actual sat for you?  Could you use photos and film clips? 

I'm not a painter, but if I were, I might like to paint Heath as Ennis, perhaps as I would imagine him in a scene that wasn't in the film.

Thanks for your kind words, Gary. However, I think I may steer clear of the Archibald for the foreseeable future. Once burned!

Under the terms of the Archibald bequest, all submitted works must be painted from life. That means the subject must sit for the portrait. It is allowable for photos to be taken and used as points of reference, but all artists must make a physical connection with their subject. The portrait cannot be painted from photos alone.

Many emerging/unknown artists get around this by submitting self-portraits. The rationale being that though they have not distinguished themselves prior to entry, the very fact that they have been hung in the Archibald makes them a distinguished public figure. It's a loophole.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:40 am »
Hey Kerry, thanks for sharing your paintings with us. I like especially the two abstract ones. No surprise there, I like abstract paintings in general. And I also like Kandinsky very much :D.
I also liked the idea of including a photo of Fabian into the painting. But I have to admit that the guy looks intimidating.
Looking forward to see more of your art.

I absolutely adore Kandinsky, Chrissi. His paintings are so breathtakingly beautiful IMHO.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 12:03:01 am »
This is a portrait of my most dear friend and soul mate, George. It is a traditional studio portrait in oils on canvas, 60cm x 50cm (24in x 20in) - slightly under life size. George is depicted in what was his favourite shirt at that time, which came to lend its name to the portrait -  “Velvet George” (even though the shirt was cotton, not velvet). I painted a great deal of love into this portrait, from the slightly guarded, withheld smile that is so unmistakably George, to the unwavering stare of those beautiful blue/grey eyes; eternally and forever now, looking out from the canvas. As you move around in front of the portrait, you will see that George’s eyes follow you. Try it. Spooky, no? You think George is looking at you, right? Wrong! He’s looking at me, the painter. And I don’t mind telling you that he was just a tiny tad impatient with my slow progress. So cute. Twenty-nine years later, he’s just as cute, and he still gets cross with me when I dawdle. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without my beautiful George in it.

Velvet George

Detail from Velvet George
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:16 am »
I have seen the painting of George before. I love it! :D

I also love the abstract up there -  “Isis in the Midnight Brightly.” It's beautiful and I love the colors in it.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:50 am »
You and George have something in common, David. A Dutch connection.   :)

In George's case, he was born in Kenya and raised in Tanzania. Both his parents are of Dutch ancestry. The family came to Australia when George was 12 and settled in Perth, Western Australia - Heath Ledger's home town. 

I'm so glad you're enjoying my paintings, David. More to come.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν