Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 65025 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2009, 09:49:16 am »
Oh wow!!! I love the portrait of Daniel. And the eyes do follow, just like Gary said. I think this is one of my favorites thus far.

I also have a very special place in my heart for Diana, so I love "Vale" too. I'm not sure I understand it entirely but it is very sad and I think it accurately reflects my feelings and emotions just after I found out she had died. I felt confused, sad and I couldn't make sense of it all. It was like "WHY"? That's what I feel when I look at "Vale".

You are a very talented artist Kerry. I had no idea you were so talented. I knew you were talented but...

Thanks for taking the time to post your artwork and sharing it with us. :D

I too experienced all those emotions when Diana died, David. It was so very sad. Tragic. They started a condolences book in the chapel at work and held a memorial service. I went along and remember writing "A new Star in Heaven" in the book. Not very original, but I meant it sincerely.  I believe the book was later presented to the British Consul General here in Sydney. :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2009, 10:01:29 am »
What David said: thanks for sharing your art with us, I enjoy it very much. Even if I don't comment on every pic, I'm a regular on this thread.

Daniel's eyes look sad.

I painted three portraits of Daniel. He doesn't look quite so sad in the others. Well, maybe a little bit.

Glad you're enjoying the gallery, Chrissi.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32:43 am »
Though it was not my intention at the time of painting (I was filled with grief at the time), sometimes when I now look at "Vale" I feel like I'm immersed in the centre of a glorious sunset. Not viewing  the sunset from afar, way off on the distant western horizon, but immersed  right in the middle of it. I got goosebumps when I read your post, Sel. We're right on the same wavelength with this one.

Metaphorically speaking we could say the sun had set on Diana's life forever (that is if Forever exists ...).
I can see why you feel immersed in it, the way you mixed the colours is very intense.
Where I live I enjoy  spectacular sunsets.  Even if I have seen them hundreds of times  I still find myself starring at some of them in awe.
BbM, I swear

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2009, 03:02:57 am »

:-*

injest

« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2009, 07:39:47 am »
I completed this painting shortly after the death of Princess Diana. It is titled “Vale” (pron. Vah-lay; Latin - Farewell) and is dedicated to Diana’s memory.  It is a large canvas at 4ft x 3ft (120cm x 90cm) and is executed in oils on canvas. It hangs in a gilt frame, on the wall above my bed, where it contributes a certain restful, serene atmosphere to my bedroom. Qualities that could not necessarily be attributed to Diana during the course of her tragically short, epically Shakespearean life. Noble birth, cloistered upbringing, royal marriage, two little princes, betrayal, exile from court, early death, entombment on an island in a lake. Yep, it was Shakespearean alright!

It may be necessary to scroll over --> to see the complete image.

"Vale"

bringing it forward..

I love this....I can see why you have it in your bedroom...there is something calming in it. acceptance? resignation? the dark falling but the colors still clear and beautiful, almost more intense. I CAN immerse myself in it...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2009, 08:52:47 am »
bringing it forward..

I love this....I can see why you have it in your bedroom...there is something calming in it. acceptance? resignation? the dark falling but the colors still clear and beautiful, almost more intense. I CAN immerse myself in it...

"The dark falling but . . . . . . still beautiful."  Diana, eternally beautiful.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2009, 09:15:41 am »
"The dark falling but . . . . . . still beautiful."  Diana, eternally beautiful.  :'(

:) ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2009, 10:48:01 pm »
Like most artists, I have completed a range of self portrait studies and paintings over the years. When you can’t find someone to sit for you, there’s always a willing and eager subject right there in the mirror. Apart from that, there’s also the self-analysis thing that seems to obsess many artists, myself included.

This is a detail from a self portrait painted in 1970, when I was 20, nearly 40 years ago. I am not posting the complete portrait because, to be quite frank, I find it somewhat embarrassing. Embarrassing for a number of reasons, not least of all because of  what I am wearing in the original. The reason I have selected this clip is because I thought it would be fun to compare it to my present BetterMost avatar. It stands-up quite well, cheesy grin notwithstanding. It’s not that I was a  particularly cheerless, grim-faced  individual back then. That’s not the case at all. Rather, at the time of painting this portrait, I was intensely self-absorbed in analyzing my features in an endeavour to capture them on canvas. Though it appears that I am looking at you, I am, in fact, closely examining my own features in the mirror.

My avatar photo at left was taken in March 2008, whereas the portrait was painted in 1970, so there’ll be some extra wrinkles evident in the former. But there’s another difference. Do you know what it is? The avatar is a photograph of the right  side of my face, whereas the portrait is a mirror image, which makes it the left  side of my face, as viewed by me looking in the mirror as I painted my features. Confusing, no?

This painting is executed in oils on canvas. 

Self Portrait - 1970
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »
eyes are your forte! They are all so riveting...the focus.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2009, 03:53:06 am »
Hi Kerry,

Obviously I don't know you in person but by looking at your avatar you haven't changed very much! Very nice portrait. The lips remind me of Heath's.
I agree with Injest about eyes being your forte.
BbM, I swear