Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 65021 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2009, 02:03:20 pm »
Kerry - you have some wonderful memories and such a beautiful skill.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
Kerry,

Her eyes express all the sadness. She has beautiful hair. Thank you for sharing this precious painting with us.
BbM, I swear

injest

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »
beautiful....the way her face is half in darkness, her posture..you are right it breathes grief but also an acceptance .....thank you Kerry..

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:15 am »
Thank you for your kind words, Kelda, Sel and Jess.  :-*   :-*   :-*  I'm thinking it might be nice to hang a bright, cheerful abstract next.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2009, 02:09:34 am »
In my early teens, in high school, I came across a most beautiful piece of music. It was Peter Tchaikovsky’s symphonic poem “Francesca da Rimini: Symphonic Fantasy after Dante, Op.32.”

Wikipedia describes the tragic tale of Francesca da Rimini thus:

“In this fantasia, Tchaikovsky presents a symphonic interpretation of the tragic tale of Francesca da Rimini, a beauty who was immortalized in Dante's Divine Comedy. In the fifth canto of Inferno, Dante the narrator meets the shade of Francesca da Rimini, a noblewoman who fell in love with the brother of her ugly husband. After the lovers were discovered and killed in revenge by the husband, they were condemned to Hell for their adulterous passions. In their damnation, the lovers are trapped in a violent storm but separated from each other, never to touch again. They are tormented most of all by the ineradicable memory of the joys and pleasures of the embraces they once shared.”  (my italics = J&E?)

It’s perhaps worth taking 25 minutes out of your busy day to listen to this beautiful piece of music by Peter Tchaikovsky, one of my own most admired, truly inspirational, gay heroes.

Peter Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini Symphonic Fantasy after Dante Op 32, Part 1:
&feature=related

Peter Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini Symphonic Fantasy after Dante Op 32, Part 2:

Peter Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini Symphonic Fantasy after Dante Op 32, Part 3:
&feature=related

At the risk of appearing trite in the face of Tchaikovsky’s soaring genius and Francesca’s grim despair, my contribution to the tragic tale of Dante’s star-crossed, tragic lovers was to produce this humble gouache. I was 16 and experiencing a terrible despair of my own at the time. I had a major crush on one of the physical education teachers at school. I gave my painting the legitimate title of “Francesca da Rimini,” depicting, as it appears, the hand of Francesca descending into the Inferno. But I have a confession to make. That’s not the real  subject of this painting. It was, in fact, painted on the day of my beloved teacher’s wedding. The hand being drawn down into the Stygian Pit is actually that of his bride. Thus was the intensity of my adolescent despair on that fateful day in 1966.

Not many of my paintings survived my youth. Most were destroyed by me years ago. I’m quite ruthless about destroying paintings I deem to be unworthy of survival. Having said that, however, I’ve not been able to bring myself to relegate this one to the flames. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:07:07 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2009, 10:39:48 pm »
Moving quickly along from my embarrassing revelations of unrequited adolescent lust (blush), here’s the bright, cheerful abstract I promised earlier. Well, bright maybe, but not necessarily entirely cheerful. The title “A la Recherche du Temps Perdu” (“In Search of Lost Time”) alludes to the iconic, multi-volume novel of the same name by French author, Marcel Proust, another of my much loved and venerated gay heroes.

A la Recherche du Temps Perdu

This is Marcel Proust. If ever they make a film of his life (and what a brilliant film it would be), they should look no further than our Jake to play the lead role. A remarkable resemblance, don’t you agree?

Marcel Proust
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2009, 10:58:33 pm »
In my early teens, in high school, I came across a most beautiful piece of music. It was Peter Tchaikovsky’s symphonic poem “Francesca da Rimini: Symphonic Fantasy after Dante, Op.32.”

Wikipedia describes the tragic tale of Francesca da Rimini thus:

“In this fantasia, Tchaikovsky presents a symphonic interpretation of the tragic tale of Francesca da Rimini, a beauty who was immortalized in Dante's Divine Comedy. In the fifth canto of Inferno, Dante the narrator meets the shade of Francesca da Rimini, a noblewoman who fell in love with the brother of her ugly husband. After the lovers were discovered and killed in revenge by the husband, they were condemned to Hell for their adulterous passions. In their damnation, the lovers are trapped in a violent storm but separated from each other, never to touch again. They are tormented most of all by the ineradicable memory of the joys and pleasures of the embraces they once shared.”  (my italics = J&E?)

At the risk of appearing trite in the face of Tchaikovsky’s soaring genius and Francesca’s grim despair, my contribution to the tragic tale of Dante’s star-crossed, tragic lovers was to produce this humble gouache. I was 16 and experiencing a terrible despair of my own at the time. I had a major crush on one of the physical education teachers at school. I gave my painting the legitimate title of “Francesca da Rimini,” depicting, as it appears, the hand of Francesca descending into the Inferno. But I have a confession to make. That’s not the real  subject of this painting. It was, in fact, painted on the day of my beloved teacher’s wedding. The hand being drawn down into the Stygian Pit is actually that of his bride. Thus was the intensity of my adolescent despair on that fateful day in 1966.

Not many of my paintings survived my youth. Most were destroyed by me years ago. I’m quite ruthless about destroying paintings I deem to be unworthy of survival. Having said that, however, I’ve not been able to bring myself to relegate this one to the flames. 

well I like it...it isn't as 'finished' as your later pics but you can see glimmers...I like how bold and abrupt the colors are..raw...

I just noticed the wedding rings...

injest

« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2009, 11:00:33 pm »
Moving quickly along from my embarrassing revelations of unrequited adolescent lust (blush), here’s the bright, cheerful abstract I promised earlier. Well, bright maybe, but not necessarily entirely cheerful. The title “A la Recherche du Temps Perdu” (“In Search of Lost Time”) alludes to the iconic, multi-volume novel of the same name by French author, Marcel Proust, another of my much loved and venerated gay heroes.

This is Marcel Proust. If ever they make a film of his life (and what a brilliant film it would be), they should look no further than our Jake to play the lead role. A remarkable resemblance, don’t you agree?

Marcel Proust

hmmm, it reminds me a bit of the nun portrait....

love the color and energy of this one. particularly like the little 'orbs'...

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2009, 04:13:14 am »

I can see the despair in this hand,  interesting the presence of the wedding rings.
Have just listened to the three videos featuring the music by Tchaikovsky, part 2 is the one I like best.
BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2009, 04:26:42 am »

Marcel Proust

Nice, bright colours. I would know it is by you from "the beam of light".

I agree, there's a remarkable resemblance between Jake (or, better still,  "lake scene Jack") and M Proust.
BbM, I swear