Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 65274 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:58 am »
Who would ever suspect a gay man of deliberately creating drama?   8)   

;)     ::)    :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2009, 08:36:36 am »

Yes, the eyes and the eyebrows remind me of Jack's too. I am also fascinated by the other guy, his closed eyes make me feel the intensity of the embrace, of their feelings.

Kerry,

I wholeheartidly apologise. I wrote  that the eyes of the other guy are closed, whereas they are not. They are lowered. His look is just as beautiful.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I am wearing this new pair of multifocus glasses (not sure whether it is the right English word, in Italian we say 'progressive' glasses), I when I sit at the PC I don't seem to able to find the right distance. After a while my eyes hurt too. I am shortsighted, longsighted and astigmatic, and thought that this pair of specs would solve all my problems once and for all  but it seems I have no such luck ....

It is a pity that The Embrace will go back into the wordrobe, I imagine your house is full of paintings.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:51 am »
Kerry,

I wholeheartidly apologise. I wrote  that the eyes of the other guy are closed, whereas they are not. They are lowered. His look is just as beautiful.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I am wearing this new pair of multifocus glasses (not sure whether it is the right English word, in Italian we say 'progressive' glasses), I when I sit at the PC I don't seem to able to find the right distance. After a while my eyes hurt too. I am shortsighted, longsighted and astigmatic, and thought that this pair of specs would solve all my problems once and for all  but it seems I have no such luck ....

It is a pity that The Embrace will go back into the wordrobe, I imagine your house is full of paintings.

I do have quite a few paintings hanging throughout my apartment, Sel, which is, alas, not large, meaning the majority of my paintings are relegated to storage. I tend to rotate the paintings, giving them an airing for a while and then returning them to storage. Only a few, much loved paintings, stay on permanent show, two of which were not painted by me.

Like you, I too am myopic and have worn spectacles for years. I tried contact lenses a few times but couldn't take to them. I always felt like my eyes were full of sand, which was very aggravating and painful. I was prescribed multifocal lenses about five years ago. Friends warned me that I would have a great deal of trouble with them and that it would take me a long time to get used to them. Well, can I tell you, just the opposite happened. I took to them like a duck to water! My vision was spectacularly improved. Coupled with that, my new spectacles were frameless, meaning my vision was unrestricted. I no longer viewed the world through a window-frame attached to my face. It was like a miracle for me. My advice is to persevere with the multifocal lenses. If you continue to have problems, perhaps you might consider returning to the optometrist to see if he set the different vision bands correctly. I love my multifocal frameless spectacles. They literally changed the way I view the world.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »
Thank you  for your encouragement Kerry.    I have been wearing my multifocal glasses since Thursday afternoon, while I am OK walking and moving about, even driving, when it comes to reading, sitting at the pc I  seem to be in trouble. My eyes are hurting as I am writing this. I have tried contact lenses too, but like you experienced all sorts of problems with them. In my 20s  (now I am 46) I worked for a couple of years as an air-stewardess, in those days we were not allowed to wear glasses, and in the end, after trying different types of lenses, I quit the job.
Anyway, that's enough about glasses, I look very much forward to seeing more of your  paintings.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2009, 11:10:31 am »
For me, the hardest thing to paint is a self portrait. I find it very difficult to view my own features objectively. I have too much emotional baggage invested there. I know exactly what’s going on behind the façade. Should I paint the mask or the reality? I have made several attempts at painting self portraits over the years, none of which have been particularly successful, in my view.

This is probably one of my more successful attempts. It was painted during a distressingly tumultuous period in my life. I started out with a traditional representation of my features and then dissected them whilst manipulated the paint by various means, until I arrived at a satisfactory representation of the state of my psyche at that time.

Self Portrait

Detail from Self Portrait
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
how did you feel when you finished it, Kerry?

it is hard to explain how I see it....I think I need to think on it a while. it is ?disturbing? to me? not sure that is the word I am looking for..

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »
how did you feel when you finished it, Kerry?
it is hard to explain how I see it....I think I need to think on it a while. it is ?disturbing? to me? not sure that is the word I am looking for..

Hi Kerry,

Injest has posed a very interesting question.

I looked at the painting before reading your post. I like the colours, blue, white, lilac (or light purple) red. English isn't my first language, what I am trying to say is that to me those "decided", "marked" stroke brushes evoke energy, assertiveness.
It is certainly the most original of the self portraits I have seen so far.
BbM, I swear

injest

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2009, 02:21:18 pm »
Hi Kerry,

Injest has posed a very interesting question.

I looked at the painting before reading your post. I like the colours, blue, white, lilac (or light purple) red. English isn't my first language, what I am trying to say is that to me those "decided", "marked" stroke brushes evoke energy, assertiveness.
It is certainly the most original of the self portraits I have seen so far.

yes, almost to the point of being aggressive....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »
It's always interesting to hear the different interpretations, meanings and messages generated by an abstract painting. We're such a complex species, we human beings. We read so much into the signs, portents and symbols surrounding us in our everyday lives.  As an artist, I particularly enjoy hearing different interpretations of my paintings. They often vary vastly and sometimes generate wildly divergent reactions in different individuals. And they can polarize people, too. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. There is usually no gray area in between.

How do I feel about this painting, you ask. Well, I am technically pleased with the finished result; that is, I am pleased with the technique used in its creation. I am happy with the composition of the subject matter, application of the paint and use of colour. However, at a gut level, at an emotional level, I must confess that this is not one of my favourite paintings. It conjures-up for me a period in my life that is probably best left behind. When I look at this painting I see despair and desolation, symbolized by the frenetic application of the paint and the utilization of a cool, somber palette.

It does not pretend to be a photorealistic representation of my physical appearance. That was never my intention here. It is intended to represent the state of my psyche during a particularly turbulent period in my life.

It was so very interesting for me to read that this painting generated such interpretations as aggression and assertiveness in others. Perhaps that is subliminally what was on my mind at a deeply subconscious level when I painted this self portrait. But it would only have been because I wanted to assertively and aggressively  escape the situation I was in at that time. Thank you, Sel and Jess, for presenting this interpretation to me. I value your feedback. Alas, however, for me it will always be a depressing painting, filled with desolation and despair.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:54:26 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2009, 08:06:16 pm »
well it struck me you said you started out with a more realistic representation of your features then used other techniques that destroyed or altered the features...as if you couldn't stand to see yourself like that....I wondered if it was cathartic (sp); if you felt relieved when you were finished...