Author Topic: Oh my... I listened to Country & Western music....  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Oh my... I listened to Country & Western music....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 05:46:28 pm »
Speaking of C & W music...I really enjoy James McMurtry's music.  As I'm sure you know, he wrote the 'Water Walking Jesus' snippet and has had an extensive singer/songwriting career.  I was introduced to his music several years ago by some friends in the Austin, TX area.  I like most of his work; 'Painting by Numbers' from Too Long in the Wasteland is good.  You can hear samples at amazon.com.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 10:18:20 pm »
Heh, no surprise that Water Walking Jesus didn't make it to the soundtrack....  Kind of jarring performance by Jake there....
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 10:22:13 pm »
I have a confession to make, this week I searched the FM dial and programmed country western stations into my car's radio preset stations and have been listening to them exclusively.

Phillip I love your selections for the Brokeback Mountain Radio, just the right tempo for my taste. You've done a phenomenal job and setting up the radio station. My hats off to you buddy. Thank you for all you've done to bring this meeting ground a reality.

Tim

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 05:42:08 am »
I have a confession to make, this week I searched the FM dial and programmed country western stations into my car's radio preset stations and have been listening to them exclusively.

TIM...what is happening to YOU?  <shocked look... ;)>  You've obviously been bitten by the BBB!!  <BrokeBackBug>  I have a confession to make too.... ;)  I dragged out and polished my COWBOY BOOTS the other night!!  We are all DOOMED!!  <heheheh> and....<there's more> I ACTUALLY considered buying a horse until a friend of mine slapped me silly!!! 

Hugs....Nancy   :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

horo04

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 10:11:42 pm »
The Brokeback soundtrack is so-so...the only songs I like are the Santaolalla scores...very moving!  Should have had more country sounding songs.  I like all kinds of music but country is my favourite...to bad they couldn't put some George Strait on there or Rascal Flatts!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 11:23:33 pm »

Phillip I love your selections for the Brokeback Mountain Radio, just the right tempo for my taste. You've done a phenomenal job and setting up the radio station. My hats off to you buddy. Thank you for all you've done to bring this meeting ground a reality.

Thanks, and yeah you're not alone.  I was toying with the country outlets on XM Radio in the car a few weeks ago.  I think that was somewhat short-lived however.  I do have a better appreciation and tolerance for the music genre now, however.  Before I wouldn't have spent ten seconds with it.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 04:10:54 am »
Dear Phillip,

I love the Brokeback soundtrack, have it now, but before it arrived from Amazon, "Slider" came and man oh man... it's fantastic.  I first heard it on BBM Radio, which by the way, I listen too so much that I feel there aren't enough newer songs on it right now...   

Hey, but, I mean I think I wore my ears out listening to it… and by the way, I've always liked Emmylou Harris and Rufus W, but I wasn’t much of a country & western fan.   Now, I'm listening to it and developing a taste for it.  I ordered the album that has "The Two Cowboy Waltz" on it... can't think of the singer's name right now... and I love the Willie Nelson song about cowboys being "fond" of each other, it's so funny and true.  I have a gay cowboy friend in my life and even he's admits it's true, LOL. 

There’s a load of fine music on BBM Radio... I ordered "Sand and Water" (again can’t recall the woman singer/song writer’s name, but she’s hot) today and several other albums.  I love Steve Earl on the soundtrack.  The way he speaks, his accent I mean, is so downhome-cowboy-folk-rock-americana!   Anyway, thanks, Phil.   Even my appreciation of different kinds of music has increased & widened because of BBM.

Rayn
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 04:16:55 am by Rayn »

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 01:25:56 am »
Dear Phillip,

I love the Brokeback soundtrack, have it now, but before it arrived from Amazon, "Slider" came and man oh man... it's fantastic.  I first heard it on BBM Radio, which by the way, I listen too so much that I feel there aren't enough newer songs on it right now... 

I am going to have to do an online order catalog for the music on BBM Radio so people can order it via this site as opposed to helping Live 365 cash in some more.  I can usually find much better deals on music than they have, even if the site doesn't earn a percentage of the sale.  BetterMost isn't about cashing in anyway.

Slider is actually an older album that was released by the label and team that also brings you Music from the Hearts of Space, a new age radio show that's been on the air since I was in high school in the 1980s.  It's an outstanding show, especially for relaxation.  When I first got Slider (it's the slide guitar instrumental album for those who don't know), I really wasn't impacted much by it.  I was more of a space music/electronic fan than the western sound of Slider.  But then movie events like BBM happen and you develop a total new appreciation for things you used to ignore (and I was openly hostile to C&W anyway).

Yes, there needs to be a major playlist overhaul.  It's on my list - finding new instrumentals is a major problem, however.  There is not a whole lot of music that sounds BBM that is instrumental - at least I haven't found much.

There’s a load of fine music on BBM Radio... I ordered "Sand and Water" (again can’t recall the woman singer/song writer’s name, but she’s hot) today and several other albums.  I love Steve Earle on the soundtrack.  The way he speaks, his accent I mean, is so downhome-cowboy-folk-rock-americana!

Earle's pronounciation of "ginral stor" for "general store" alone did it for me.  It definitely gave the song street cred.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 08:52:03 am »
Hi Phillip,

About Steve Earl... Yes, that's exactly what I like too... the way he says "ginral stor" for "general store" ... it's great.  So, I ordered "The Essential Steve Earl" today.  Hey, how did you know I was listening to Live at 365 ??  I'm wondering...  Is that the only way to get the station.  Oh, I guess people can connect through Better Most site too, right?  And say, by the way, is Better Most a real company?  Does it really sell beans?  I never seen 'em before....

Rayn

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 12:42:27 pm »
Hi Phillip,

About Steve Earl... Yes, that's exactly what I like too... the way he says "ginral stor" for "general store" ... it's great.  So, I ordered "The Essential Steve Earl" today.  Hey, how did you know I was listening to Live at 365 ??  I'm wondering...  Is that the only way to get the station.  Oh, I guess people can connect through Better Most site too, right?  And say, by the way, is Better Most a real company?  Does it really sell beans?  I never seen 'em before....

The BBM Radio service is programmed by and run by me.

I never but Steve Earle's song on BBM Radio because, like the Linda Ronstadt track on the soundtrack, it doesn't fit.  It's a fine song (and there are many versions of Steve Earle's song for BBM - most are sung much slower.  I think that his version came out during the dancing disco era influenced the fact his version is uptempo and you can dance to it, whereas most of the other versions are sung almost as a ballad).

BetterMost the web site was named because it was the only thing in the film that wasn't trademarked.  Hollywood lawyers protect intellectual property quite a bit these days, and I didn't want to start a site and then get into a legal quagmire over the name, so I chose BetterMost.  Unfortunately, if you didn't know any better, you'd think I was on an ego trip with a name like that.  And even for moviegoers, few probably paid much attention to the bean can label.  But it was clever enough to run with, and here we are.

Problem two was that bettermost.com was already taken by a Chinese medical products company, so I got stuck with .net, and that is definitely a minus because most people automatically assume any url ends in .com.  But we've been moving up in the Google results so anyone typing Brokeback Mountain forum can find us.

There is no BetterMost brand or bean company.