Author Topic: Oh my... I listened to Country & Western music....  (Read 11800 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
Re: Oh my... I listened to Country & Western music....
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:18:48 pm »
I remember when I first heard about this forum, I immediately connected it to the bean can label. Just thought I'd mention it...

I have the soundtrack as well and I think it's pretty great. I think "A Love That Will Never Grow Old," "He Was a Friend of Mine," "The Maker Makes," and "I Don't Want to Say Goodbye" are all beautiful country songs (and I've never cared too much about country before) and they are also very moving. I love Gustavo Santaolalla's score; every single score on the soundtrack is so worthwhile, to say the very least (and I chose 'worthwhile' because "Snow," while nice and likable, isn't excellent). "Brokeback Mountain 1 - 2 - 3" is a collection of beautiful scores; "3" actually has moved me to tears many times as has "The Wings" which I think is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life. I agree it's short but sometimes I fear that if they made it longer it could've tainted the track and I think it's astonishing as it is.

"The Devil's Right Hand" and "King of the Road" are both fun songs and I like them (especially "DRH") but they do not fit with the tone of the movie.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Drew Kerrigan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Freshly DREWed!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 03:17:53 am »
I recently purchased an original BBM OST when I was out with my friends last weekend. I wasn't planning on buying the CD at that time coz we were supposed to be going somewhere else to a friend in need although, I have been scouring the legit record bars in the Metropolis for a copy of the said CD for over 2 months already! :o  The amazing thing is that in the store were I bought my copy (Tower Records), the BBM OST CD was in line with the weekly "hot tracks", a collection of most sought after audio albums nationwide determined by radio station surveys.

At home, I listened to the whole 17 track CD for 3 rounds non-stop while lying comfortably in my bed. Normally, I'd fell asleep eventually but all those hours listening to the tunes just made me feel more alive. ::)  The following day, I ripped the CD, made MP3s and loaded the audio files in my agency's public server. I'm currently listening to it right now while composing an animated Executive Briefing presentation. ;)

Right now, I feel like dancing to the tune of Linda Ronstadt's "It's So Easy"! O0  The CD is a worthwhile collector's item indeed! I feel like I can listen to it everyday! 8)  Next on my hunting list would be the original DVD. ;D
"In religion. I believe in God, in science, in Sunday supper. I don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."
- Gil Grissom of CSI: Las Vegas

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 01:46:26 am »
I was sayin' my appreciation of music has gotten wider?  Well, where I had no country/western before, I now have CDs by Steve Earle, Garth Brooks, Pam Tillis, McKnight, Mark Weigle Amy Lou Harris.  I feel almost foolish for never having listened before to C/W Music.  Maybe I wasn't ready for it. 
The songs on "Sevens" are great ; I love "A Friend to Me" and "Belleau Wood" & the entire" Essential Steve Earle" rocks! 

I have more CDs on order!  All thanks to Brokeback Mt. Radio!

Rayn

TJ

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 01:15:21 pm »
I am waiting for someone to prove that there was more to the "Water-Walking Jesus" "hymn" that was written by James McMurtry.

I used the subtitle program of the DVD and copied down what Jack Twist sang.

Water-Walking Jesus

I know that I shall meet you on that final day;

Water-walking Jesus, take me away!

In that "Ultimate Brokeback Mountain Movie Forum," there were quite a few members who voiced their complaints about the Country and Western Music in the movie. But, the types of music which the guys liked were C&W types or cross-over C&W ones.

Actually, there is Western music, Country Music, Rock-A-Billy Music and Gospel Music in the story and the movie, too.

In the 1950s and 1960s, many Country artists sang every type of music as I mentioned in the above sentence. Marty Robbins was one of those types of singers as well as Elvis Presley and Roger Miller.

Marty Robbins recorded "White Sportcoat and Pink Carnation," which was a high school prom song and he sang it on a Dick Clark evening TV show and also on the Steve Allen Sunday night show, if I remember correctly. Robbins sang a lot of Old West style ballads, too.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 10:04:25 pm »
In the 1950s and 1960s, many Country artists sang every type of music as I mentioned in the above sentence. 

Yeah, even Johnny Cash did rock 'n roll and was really good at rockin'!

Rayn

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 07:25:56 pm »
Speaking of C & W music...

From the Blues Brothers movie...

Jake: "So uhhh...what kind of music to you play here?"

Dumb blond wife of the tavern owner: "Oh, we play both kinds, country AND western..."

The station I listen to has the tag line, "No Kenny, Toby, or Keith"   Refering to the popular Kenney Chesney (ya ever notice that are no girls in his promtional pictures?), Toby Keith (proof that the more time ya step on a cowboy hat, the flatter it gits), and Keith Urban (from Australia...'nuff said).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 07:29:14 pm by DecaturTxCowboy »
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 10:34:41 am »
Help! 

I can't figure out who has the prettier voice, Pam Tillis or Teddy Thompson!  I'm so confused I love them equally ... and Pam isn't on the BBM Soundtrack!    I never did think I'd be into C & W Music so much... but I am.

Gone Country...
Rayn

TJ

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »
If you are a real fan of Country Music AND Western Music, they are NOT the same genre, and you want to talk about the music which we know or think that Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar would have sang up on Brokeback Mountain or listened on their radios at home or in their truck, why not go to this link and help out in the discussion?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1482.0

While the movie Ennis told his daughter that he would go to the church picnic if he did not have to sing, he did attempt to sing songs when he was with Jack upon Brokeback.

Some people are the type that if they have do sing a capella, they really cannot carry much of a tune; but, they can sing on key with musical accompaniment, either as a solo or with others. My mother was one of those people and me, too.

While I never heard my mother do a solo while someone played music, I did sing solos a few times in church and another time when someone played a piano. Oh, in church, I did not volunteer to sing a solo, the pastors of the churches requested it when they heard me singing in church choirs and they were sitting directly in front of me.

TJ

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 04:20:40 pm »
From the Blues Brothers movie...

Jake: "So uhhh...what kind of music to you play here?"

Dumb blond wife of the tavern owner: "Oh, we play both kinds, country AND western..."

The station I listen to has the tag line, "No Kenny, Toby, or Keith"   Refering to the popular Kenney Chesney (ya ever notice that are no girls in his promtional pictures?), Toby Keith (proof that the more time ya step on a cowboy hat, the flatter it gits), and Keith Urban (from Australia...'nuff said).

Most of Toby Keith's music is related to the subject of poor white redneck trash and he is quite proud of the trash songs which he sings.

Kenny Chesney's video, "no shoes, no shirt, no problems," after he gets off the boat and goes to an island, there are actually very few women in the video. And, in the quick short clip where he is dancing at a bar, he's not even touching the gal who's dancing in front of him; in the other few moments while on land, he is not even in the same shot as the women are.

I think that Chesney is like Randy Travis; he uses women as a beard to make people think he is a real man, too.

In effect, Randy Travis actually married his substitute mother who became his manager. In a TV interview, before Travis married Lib Hatcher, she acted and even talked like she was his real mother. I have met more than one openly gay person who knew Randy Travis and they had proof about his private life back in Tennesse. Travis used to own two ranches there and that was before he got married.

Although Keith Urban performs for American country music fan audiences, he is not an American Country Singer at all.