Author Topic: Clever Mouse Reset Button Saves Day  (Read 5658 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Clever Mouse Reset Button Saves Day
« on: April 01, 2006, 01:51:34 am »
Hi friends...
Here's my dilemma: my husband is in Germany for almost two weeks and he took the laptop with him.  The laptop is "my" computer, usually.  I'm sittin here at the big ol regular computer, and the mouse is dead, and because he's a wireless-mouse geek, and a geek in general, I feel a little less able to deal than if it were a regular mouse, and also there are about thirty cords (I'm really not exaggerating) going from one place to another back there (BACK THERE -- I'm so painfully not that savvy).  I gnashed teeth and rent garments till I realized I could open a browser with a shortcut button and then tab my way around (VERY annoying but better than nothing).  We missed each other's calls today and he can't depend on being able to read email so I haven't been able to tell him that he left his wife with a bum mouse JUST when she so so needs it.  Sort of needs it.  Really really wants it.

It's not the mouse's battery; I plucked that out with a pencil (the pencil point broke and fell down a hole in there and is now rattling around in the mouse body -- but I'm not worried about that) and tried a fresh one; and besides it was a sudden, not slow, death.  Anyone got any ideas?  And like, hi, by the way.  My friends.

Bye bye,
Sarah
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:19:48 pm by henrypie »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: vexing, silly cry for help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 02:15:04 am »
Oh, Sarah,
I'm so sorry! I'm so untechnologically oriented myself that I can't answer your vexing, silly cry for help--which is neither vexing nor silly, btw--but you have my sympathy. I feel your pain.
Good luck finding help!
Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 02:51:37 am »
Thanks anyway Jeff.  I'm going to bed.  No mouse-hopes till tomorrow.
By the way are you Philadelphia or Hoboken?
Sssss

Surf

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 03:08:54 am »
Hi friends...
Here's my dilemma: my husband is in Germany for almost two weeks and he took the laptop with him.  The laptop is "my" computer, usually.  I'm sittin here at the big ol regular computer, and the mouse is dead, and because he's a wireless-mouse geek, and a geek in general, I feel a little less able to deal than if it were a regular mouse, and also there are about thirty cords (I'm really not exaggerating) going from one place to another back there (BACK THERE -- I'm so painfully not that savvy).  I gnashed teeth and rent garments till I realized I could open a browser with a shortcut button and then tab my way around (VERY annoying but better than nothing).  We missed each other's calls today and he can't depend on being able to read email so I haven't been able to tell him that he left his wife with a bum mouse JUST when she so so needs it.  Sort of needs it.  Really really wants it.

It's not the mouse's battery; I plucked that out with a pencil (the pencil point broke and fell down a hole in there and is now rattling around in the mouse body -- but I'm not worried about that) and tried a fresh one; and besides it was a sudden, not slow, death.  Anyone got any ideas?  And like, hi, by the way.  My friends.

Bye bye,
Sarah

Did you reboot?  With Winblows machines especially this is often a cure-all, but not always.  If all else fails, go buy a cheap USB mouse (logitech will work) and plug it in an open USB port.  If XP (and I assume  you're running XP) recognizes it, which it surprisingly usually does, you're in business.  If not, reboot again and the mouse should be recognized and proper drivers initiated.  If you are in fact on a Mac, let me know, Macs are where I'm at.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:31:00 pm by Surf »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 03:12:22 am »
Philadelphia.

O tarte d'henri, at least you are figuring out ways around it.  Yesterday afternoon the wifi in our house stopped, and in a single instant my experience went from F & M (full and meaningful, to quote Flashieloo) to me just sitting hunched over a piece of plastic E & M (empty and meaningless, again from Flash) technology.  

Half an hour later, just as inexplicably, it started working again.  In that short/long time, I got some laundry done, cleaned the kitchen, and a couple of other small things that haven't been getting as done in the last few F & M months with you all.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 03:24:11 am »
Elle, that really had me laughing there!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 03:30:10 am »
Thanks Courtpie. 

Hpie, I came back to compliment you on how "Secret Garden"-ish or something the words 'vexing' and 'silly' are together.  You could stamp your little foot as well, for emphasis.  And maybe say, "shan't" and "mustn't."  Oh, and maybe "fret."

"I mustn't fret.  Surely I will find the help I need from some good soul. i shan't give up hope just yet." 

Or maybe "Gone With the Wind"-ish.  In which case you just ratchet up to somewhat shrill, and could say, "Oh fiddle dee dee, I shall lick this mouse.  After all, tomorrow is another day."  and then you still get to stamp your little foot, and your eyes could blaze.

Oh it must be late, and I must be underslept (again).  After all, tomorrow IS another day.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 03:33:56 am by Ellemeno »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 04:42:57 am »
Just a reminder that any software is supposed to be able to go mouseless/mouse-free/unmoused (because, for one thing, blind people can't use mouses). On this, for example, the tab key steps through everything, even the smilies:  :) ;) :D

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 11:07:23 am »
Thanks my dears.
Ugh, I rebooted galore and yeah, we have all sorts of mice in the basement -- I'll bring one up and start sticking it in holes when I get home from my rehearsal for which I must leave uh... right nowish.  Elle thanks for encouraging me to "lick this mouse."  Mouse nasty!  And Elle, my dad calls English costume dramas with willful daughters Straining against class-conscious parents etc. etc. "Oh Daddy" movies.  As in "Oh Daddy, if I cannot marry Johnson I shall surely die.  Mama, this is too, too vexing!"

Hey Surfie, I used to be mactastic but I fell from grace and went with the nearest, easiest OS.  I asked my husband why he's not a mac person and he said something about being a pragmatist... or something.  I don't remember.

Sssss

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 04:18:13 pm »
Thanks anyway Jeff.  I'm going to bed.  No mouse-hopes till tomorrow.
By the way are you Philadelphia or Hoboken?
Sssss

I'm Philadelphia.
I guess Hoboken has recovered from his Brokeback fever and gone back to the collective hallucination known as reality. I'm sorry--I miss him.
Jeff Wrangler, formerly JLScheib, still JScheib on the old board, formerly jsn2lthr here at home. ... OK, I'll stop now.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.