Author Topic: Time  (Read 4854 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Time
« on: July 15, 2006, 01:46:05 am »
The usual caveat: this may have been discussed, perhaps ad nauseum, and I missed it, but it's been playing in my head for the past few days and I don't recall such point, outside of my head:

I know the clock, always ticking down on Jack and Ennis's time together, is a prominent theme: "time to go, cowboy" and "never enough time, never enough" spring to mind as actual spoken instances of the word.

Aguirre has two: "You're wastin your time," and "You boys sure found a way to make the time pass...."

And he throws Ennis a watch. 

In a way I see him as a kind of Father Time, marking the beginning and the ending.  Any other observations of Aguirre, or anyone else, measuring time?

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Time
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:51:54 am »
Great observations about Aguirre, Sarah! I totally agree about the Father Time thing. If I think of anything (other than bringing home some round steak) I'll come back and post it.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:09:17 am »
Fast or slow, I just like that you're startin' a thread, Cowgirl.  :)

These jump to mind from the film:
"All this time and you ain't found no one else to marry?"
"Daddy that was two years ago!"

These come to mind from the story (with a little help from the 'find' feature, and copy and paste):
"Friend this letter is a long time over due."
"I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you."
"I got a say this to you one time, Jack, and I ain't foolin."
"Try this one," said Jack, "and I'll say it just one time."
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I feel awful bad about Jack. Can't begin to say how bad I feel. I knew him a long time."
"Around that time Jack began to appear in his dreams"
"And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:30:20 am »
"I'm commutin' four hours a day."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:20:02 pm »
"Miss Lureen Newsome from right here in Childress, Texas...Oh boy...and her time is...sixteen and nine-tenths seconds."

"My daddy's the hurry.  Expects me home with the car by midnight"

"...all the heifers must of decided to calve at the same time."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:50:16 pm »
Great topic!
 :D

goadra mentioned this, but I think it's worth repeating... Jack seems to wear increasingly fancy wristwatches.  The one that sticks in my head the most is the one he wears in his truck on the way up to Wyoming and back down to Mexico following Ennis's divorce.

Also, it seems like the many shots of the rushing streams and rivers seem to be symbols of passing time.   
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 02:03:30 pm »
"...Says I can use it any time I want."
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:56:04 pm »
And he throws Ennis a watch. 

This has been noted in some other thread somewhere (I apologize for forgetting the original author... so that's my caveat for the evening)... but this moment when Aguirre throws Ennis the watch seems very insignificant at the beginning of the movie.  The kind of detail that seems forgettable or unnecessary or simply pragmatic.  BUT!  This it the beginning of the time line...
 :o
It's the beginning of "never enough time"... it's almost like this is the beginning of a race the boys will be running together until Jack's death.  And the horrible bookend to this is the stopped clock in Jack's bedroom in Lightning Flat.  I guess we don't really know that it's stopped (other than the idea that Ennis's visit probably isn't happening at either 8:45 am or pm).  Anyway, the stopped clock in Jack's room is sort of a signal that the chances have run out.  They've run out of time, etc. 

I've always wondered why Ennis is unable to put the watch on his wrist at the beginning of the film.  Does it not fit him?  What is that supposed to mean?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:54:23 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:50:04 pm »
It's the beginning of "never enough time"... it's almost like this is the beginning of a race the boys will be running together until Jack's death.  And the horrible bookend to this is the stopped clock in Jack's bedroom in Lightning Flat.  I guess we don't really know that it's stopped (other than the idea that Ennis's visit isn't happening at either 8:45 am or pm).  Anyway, the stopped clock in Jack's room is sort of a signal that the chances have run out.  They've run out of time, etc.

Very nice observation about the bookends, Amanda.  8)

I've always wondered why Ennis is unable to put the watch on his wrist at the beginning of the film.  Does it not fit him?  What is that supposed to mean?
'
I suppose it's because he 'doesn't have enough time' to put it on before Jack shakes his hand.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 01:14:32 am »

Hmm ... Random thoughts: if the watch represents their time together, Ennis' decision not to wear it on his wrist -- i.e., openly -- could represent his refusal to be with Jack in public. Instead, he puts it in his pocket, where he alone controls it, keeping it to himself and private ...?

(In terms of just the practical, non-symbolic meaning, my impression is that he is so unused to wearing a watch that he can't get it fastened easily, and decides it's easier not to bother.)