Author Topic: The Coffee Poll  (Read 23049 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
The Coffee Poll
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:03:01 pm »
I drink mine black. I don't like anything in it. I started drinking coffee when I worked at a donut shop (Mr. Donut) back in 1979. Back then I'd put sugar in my coffee. Then a few years later I started drinking it black. Now if even one grain of sugar is in my coffee I'll taste it.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: The Coffee Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »

Heya!

I love coffee!  When I was younger, I used to drink it with cream and sugar.  Now, I only add cream.  My ideal, is actually whole milk.  Anything heavier in terms of cream is a little too much for me, and I think skim milk actually ruins a cup of coffee.  If it's a choice between coffee black or coffee with skim milk, I'd choose plain black coffee.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:16 pm »
I love coffee too Amanda. In fact, I'm drinking a cup of coffee right now! :D

I don't think I've ever tried cream in my coffee before. Like I said earlier, I used to put sugar in it. But now I enjoy the bitter taste of the coffee. And I like my coffee quite strong. Whenever I go down to New Orleans I always buy a cup of Chicory coffee. It's very strong, bitter and wonderful!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »
Whenever I go down to New Orleans I always buy a cup of Chicory coffee. It's very strong, bitter and wonderful!

That's a very good cowboy-esque thing to drink David! :)

karen1129

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:49:29 pm »
I love coffee too Amanda. In fact, I'm drinking a cup of coffee right now! :D

I don't think I've ever tried cream in my coffee before. Like I said earlier, I used to put sugar in it. But now I enjoy the bitter taste of the coffee. And I like my coffee quite strong. Whenever I go down to New Orleans I always buy a cup of Chicory coffee. It's very strong, bitter and wonderful!

I LOVE coffee with chicory.  Like the bitter taste.

That is really all I drink now.  I buy the coffee here in Austin.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:17:13 pm »
I wish I liked coffee.  It is ubiquitous and it is often served free almost anywhere you go as a courtesy.

All the stuff I like costs money and is never served free anywhere.

Too bitter and yucky tasting and the only way I could tolerate it is to dump enough cream and sugar into it until it's less a cup of coffee with cream and sugar and more a cup of cream and sugar flavored with coffee.

It does smell delicious from a distance though - but not close up or on anyone's breath.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
Rarely drink coffee.....I am a tea drinker.

If I go to a fast food restaurant I do have coffee, I like McDonalds percolated coffee or the capuchino.

If I do have it at home I like it with condensed milk and lots of sugar.

But I dont like the taste of biscuits if they are dunked in coffee, so if I want to dunk my biscuits I drink tea.

OH, and my favourite flavoured milk, which I do buy often, is Iced Coffee.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »
Rarely drink coffee.....I am a tea drinker.

If I go to a fast food restaurant I do have coffee, I like McDonalds percolated coffee or the capuchino.

If I do have it at home I like it with condensed milk and lots of sugar.

But I dont like the taste of biscuits if they are dunked in coffee, so if I want to dunk my biscuits I drink tea.

OH, and my favourite flavoured milk, which I do buy often, is Iced Coffee.

They have iced coffee flavored milk? I've never heard of that before!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 08:41:16 pm »
They have iced coffee flavored milk? I've never heard of that before!

You're kidding me..........

Do they have cartons or bottles of any flavoured milk over there?

We get flavoured milk in chocolate, strawberry, vanlla, plus many other varieties, malt and honey is a favourite, and of course iced coffee...........we've had that since I was a kid, so thats a long long time.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »
I like hot coffee with a little cream (I usually use low-fat Coffeemate) only.  But if I'm drinking iced coffee, which I love in the summer, I like it black with a tiny bit of sugar or sweetener. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

karen1129

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »
This is making me want a cup of coffee !

:laugh: :laugh:

My favorite hot weather drink is an iced cafe mocha.

Offline optom3

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 10:15:36 pm »
I love coffee, preferably a really strong espresso, so strong you can stand your spoon up in it, no sugar just plain black. If I am having a mug of coffee then I will have 2% milk,still no sugar.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say the Italians, I.M.H.O make the best coffee.Well they do if you like espresso.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
Black for me.  I had to give up the leaded variety lately due to acid reflux, but luckily I found a good low-acid decaf:
www.puroast.com.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:39:48 am »
I try to limit coffees to special occasions because the only way I really like it is mixed about half and half with milk or cream.   ::)  Of course, there have been a lot of special occasions lately.  I rarely, if ever, have any caffeinated beverages after noon or I don't sleep.

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:40:13 am »
I love coffee...I drink it mainly with skim milk, sometimes add sugar if I need a sugar fix.  I limit myself to no more than 6 cups a day. :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:47 am »
I voted "I don't drink coffee."

It's teeeeeeeeeea for meeeeeeeee!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »
I voted "I don't drink coffee."

It's teeeeeeeeeea for meeeeeeeee!  :D

Aussies don't drink coffee?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
I said "Sugar and Cream," although at home the "cream" is plain old milk, and at work it's powdered low-fat creamer. I have had coffee with real cream, and it's the best!

I love coffee. My officemate and I take turns bringing in special coffees to share (the employer provides generic coffee and tea free). I usually have a minimum of three cups a day--one at home with breakfast, two in the morning at work.

On weeknights I rarely drink coffee after dinner, and then only decaf, otherwise I'd never get to sleep!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:33 pm »
I love coffee, preferably a really strong espresso, so strong you can stand your spoon up in it, no sugar just plain black. If I am having a mug of coffee then I will have 2% milk,still no sugar.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say the Italians, I.M.H.O make the best coffee.Well they do if you like espresso.

Yeeees, Italians do know how to make coffee  :-* :-* :laugh: But I add just a little sugar in the very strong espresso. In the morning at least 2 mugs of strong "ordinary" coffee with low fat milk......and the day has a good start  :laugh: :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 06:52:18 pm »
In the morning at least 2 mugs of strong "ordinary" coffee.

A morning without coffee is like a day without sunshine.  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »
I need to know......

David mentioned earlier that he had not heard of coffee flavoured milk in cartons and bottles.

Do you or dont you have that over there?

I just looked it up and found this, and apparently it is unique to Australia. I didn't know that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers_Union_Iced_Coffee

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »
I need to know......

David mentioned earlier that he had not heard of coffee flavoured milk in cartons and bottles.

I just looked it up and found this, and apparently it is unique to Australia. I didn't know that.

Coffee-flavored ice cream we've got--and I love it!--but I've never heard of coffee-flavored milk either.

I've seen bottles of--something--with the Starbuck's label on it in stores, but I don't drink it so I have no idea what it is.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »
Coffee-flavored ice cream we've got--and I love it!--but I've never heard of coffee-flavored milk either.

I've seen bottles of--something--with the Starbuck's label on it in stores, but I don't drink it so I have no idea what it is.

I am flabergasted.....in a nation of so many coffee drinkers, that you dont have cofee flavoured milk.

Do you have strawberry, chocolate and vanilla flavoured milk?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »

I thought it was just me! :laugh:

When I go into the milk section I just grab a carton of milk. I don't really look around too much. I know we have chocolate milk here, and strawberry milk. But I've never heard of ice coffee milk. They might have it though. The next time I'm at the grocery store I'll look. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »
I am flabergasted.....in a nation of so many coffee drinkers, that you dont have cofee flavoured milk.

Do you have strawberry, chocolate and vanilla flavoured milk?

Yup! :D

We have chocolate milk and strawberry milk. Not sure about the vanilla milk though. Probably! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:38:07 pm »

It's really coffee-flavored milk? Not just a bottled cappuccino (?), or something?

(?) = I don't drink it so I'm not sure how to spell it!  :laugh:

karen1129

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »
I need to know......

Dang, I wish we had that here.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »
It's really coffee-flavored milk? Not just a bottled cappuccino (?), or something?

(?) = I don't drink it so I'm not sure how to spell it!  :laugh:

Yes it is definately coffee flavoured milk same as chocolate or strawberry.

and different flavours of coffee flavours as well, like capuchino, mocha etc...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:35 pm »
Those look good, Sue!  The bottom picture of the iced coffee - we can get individual size cans of different kinds of iced coffee here - Starbucks sells one and I know Cinnabon sells one, too.  I'm sure there are others.

But the coffee milk I haven't seen either and all the talk about it made me curious b/c, being a coffee lover, it sounds really good!  I did a google search and found out that coffee milk is "The Official State Drink of Rhode Island."  It's made by adding a coffee syrup to cold milk.  Here's the link to the "Rhode Island Coffee Milk - Coffee Cabinet" site (Coffee Cabinet is what they call a coffee milkshake):

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/CoffeeMilk.htm
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »
Thanks Marie, that article is very interesting....but inaccurate, saying its the only place in the world where you can get it.

Coffee flavoured milk has been around since I was a kid in the sixties. As a kid I did not drink it, preferring the sweeter chocolate or strawberry, but as Ive got older, I do prefer it, if I want a flavoured milk.

I am still amazed that it is not a big market product in America.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:35 pm »
Thanks Marie, that article is very interesting....but inaccurate, saying its the only place in the world where you can get it.

Coffee flavoured milk has been around since I was a kid in the sixties. As a kid I did not drink it, preferring the sweeter chocolate or strawberry, but as Ive got older, I do prefer it, if I want a flavoured milk.

It was around when I was a kid in the 50s too, Sue. Strawberry milk was my favourite and I would always order a lime milkshake when I went to the milk bar with my little friends. This was long before anyone had ever heard of lactose intolerance. It was just thought that I had a sensitive stomach back then. Fortunately for me, I can now get lactose-free milk and yogurt. Alas, lactose-free flavoured milk is not available.   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 08:48:27 am »
But the coffee milk I haven't seen either and all the talk about it made me curious b/c, being a coffee lover, it sounds really good!  I did a google search and found out that coffee milk is "The Official State Drink of Rhode Island."  It's made by adding a coffee syrup to cold milk.  Here's the link to the "Rhode Island Coffee Milk - Coffee Cabinet" site (Coffee Cabinet is what they call a coffee milkshake):

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/CoffeeMilk.htm

Learn something new every day. I am reliably informed by my office mate here at work, who lived and went to college in Rhode Island, that she drank coffee milk there all the time. Still, I'm guessing it must be a very localized thing. Rhode Island is pretty small--you can drive through it in 45 minutes.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:36:22 am »
A morning without coffee is like a day without sunshine.  :)

Exactly!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:45 pm »
I voted sugar and cream, even though usually I use milk. Most people in Germany use condensed milk, but I like the regular milk better. Full fat of course. We have fat-reduced milk here, but I don't like it.
But the stuff they sometimes sell for "milk" in the US (skim) is worse! It's white colored water, I bet there is not one gram fat in it. And it tastes like it.

Flavoured milk is not common in Germany. We have different instant powders to flavour milk: cocoa, strawberry, vanilla, banana, etc. But there are convenience products where the powder is already in the milk and it's ready to drink. Those are usually sold in small battles, one portion sized.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »
I voted sugar and cream, even though usually I use milk. Most people in Germany use condensed milk, but I like the regular milk better. Full fat of course. We have fat-reduced milk here, but I don't like it.
But the stuff they sometimes sell for "milk" in the US (skim) is worse! It's white colored water, I bet there is not one gram fat in it. And it tastes like it.

My grandpa used to drink condensed milk in his coffee.  :D  Early in his life he was the electrician on an oil tanker, and that was what was available on the ship, or so he said, so that's how he got into the habit.

I agree with you completely about skim milk: white-colored water. ...  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
Skim milk is HORRIBLE!! I don't know how people manage to drink it. :P

But I never did like butter milk either - the polar opposite of skim milk in my opinion.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »
Skim milk is HORRIBLE!! I don't know how people manage to drink it. :P

I could barely tolerate it on cereal, and then only with a lot of sugar!

But I never did like butter milk either - the polar opposite of skim milk in my opinion.

The first--and only--time I ever tasted buttermilk I was s-o-o-o disappointed. I was expecting it would taste like butter!  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »

My Grandma used to love buttermilk.  So, I remember trying it as a kid.  I don't recall loving it.  But, I also don't really remember what it tasted like.  It sure is good as an ingredient in things like pancakes and biscuits!
 :D

McMurtry also brings up the topic of buttermilk from time to time in Lonesome Dove.  So, in the game of 6-degrees of BBM... buttermilk is somewhat tangentially related to our BBM.
:)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm on a perpetual diet, but I've come to enjoy skim milk.  It's refreshingly "clean" tasting, especially if you're having a cold glass of it with a fattening cookie.  ;)

Buttermilk I adore, though I rarely think to buy it.  It goes great with a summertime meal like grilled hamburgers and corn on the cob.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 05:05:15 pm »
The trouble with most brewed coffee, as Marianne Sagebrecht from Bagdad Café would say, is "too much water" (right, Chrissi?!  :)).  I like it strong and concentrated, a little bitter, and never with sugar. 

In the morning, I like to make my own latte:  freshly ground dark roast beans, strong espresso, and hot, steamed milk.  I drink it while I'm shaving.  I prefer 2% milk or whole.  Half-and-half leaves an oil slick, and skim is just nasty. 

My beloved espresso maker just went kaput, after serving me well for fifteen years, so it's on to a new one--technology has improved!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:17 pm »
I went to school with some Dutch boys. Their families had been ejected from the Dutch East Indies in the 1950s/60s, when Indonesia gained its independence. Lots of Dutch people came to live in nearby Australia at that time. But I digress. I'd heard my Dutch friends talking about buttermilk and how much they loved it. I was looking forward to trying it for myself and had the opportunity one day, when I was visiting a friend's home. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I think I was expecting buttermilk to be thick and rich and creamy and sweet, for some reason. What I recall is that it was very tangy and tart (or was it bitter?). Maybe I got a batch that had gone off. Certainly, I never tried it again.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »
I went to school with some Dutch boys. Their families had been ejected from the Dutch East Indies in the 1950s/60s, when Indonesia gained its independence. Lots of Dutch people came to live in nearby Australia at that time. But I digress. I'd heard my Dutch friends talking about buttermilk and how much they loved it. I was looking forward to trying it for myself and had the opportunity one day, when I was visiting a friend's home. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I think I was expecting buttermilk to be thick and rich and creamy and sweet, for some reason. What I recall is that it was very tangy and tart (or was it bitter?). Maybe I got a batch that had gone off. Certainly, I never tried it again.

Naw, I don't think you had some that had gone off. My recollection, from the one and only time I tried buttermilk, was that it tasted sour. Perhaps it's an acquired taste--like beer. But like you, I was expecting something that tasted on the order of egg nog. Boy, was I disappointed!  :laugh:

Offline Katie77

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
Buttermilk is  a great alternative to ordinary milk in reciipes for cakes or scones. It gives them a lot more moisture.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »
Maybe I got a batch that had gone off.

I think that's the point!  Isn't buttermilk a culture?  Kinda like yogurt?  I think it's generally sour because of acid produced in the fermenting.

When I want to make buttermilk pancakes, rather than buy buttermilk, which is not easily available around here, a simple substitute is to add a teaspoon of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »
I think that's the point!  Isn't buttermilk a culture?  Kinda like yogurt?  I think it's generally sour because of acid produced in the fermenting.

When I want to make buttermilk pancakes, rather than buy buttermilk, which is not easily available around here, a simple substitute is to add a teaspoon of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. 

I remember years ago when I was a kid, my mum used to make a recipe that required sour milk...and she would add some vinegar to normal milk to sour it.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »
Naw, I don't think you had some that had gone off. My recollection, from the one and only time I tried buttermilk, was that it tasted sour. Perhaps it's an acquired taste--like beer. But like you, I was expecting something that tasted on the order of egg nog. Boy, was I disappointed!  :laugh:

"Sour." That's the word I was searching for. It tasted sour.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 07:41:42 pm »
I love flat white coffee, made with milk (why isn't that mentioned?), with a little sweetener instead of sugar.
A friend of mine once got really upset when I stirred a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee, and then stirred her sugarless coffee with the same spoon.
But she could taste the sugar! And made me make her a fresh one, without the 'vile' trace of sugar !
Aren't taste buds a marvellous thing?  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 07:50:26 pm »
I had a friend like that too....but it was tea.......no way could she use the same spoon I had stirred my sugared tea in her tea, as she said she could taste it.

There are also the others, who put three or four sugar in their cup of tea or coffee....then DONT STIR IT.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 11:07:28 pm »
Coffee--black.

Most of the time I just use regular Folger's.

Sometimes I buy Caramel Drizzle Folger's tho. It smells and tastes so good.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
I love flat white coffee, made with milk (why isn't that mentioned?), with a little sweetener instead of sugar.
A friend of mine once got really upset when I stirred a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee, and then stirred her sugarless coffee with the same spoon.
But she could taste the sugar! And made me make her a fresh one, without the 'vile' trace of sugar !

I've never heard of flat white coffee. How do you make it?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:25 pm »

Yes. We can taste it. :P

I started off drinking coffee with sugar in it, but I've been drinking it black for years. I can always detect any trace of sugar in my coffee. Even if it is just one grain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:17 pm »

I'm guessing he meant he just puts cream (or milk) in his coffee - no sugar. Is that what you meant Rob?

Shasta, I've never heard of carmel drizzle Folgers before. I don't like sweet coffee so I probably wouldn't like it.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »

I think we refer to "flat white" coffee, as coffee made with milk instead of water.

The milk is heated first, then the cup, containing the coffee powder is filled with the hot milk..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
I think we refer to "flat white" coffee, as coffee made with milk instead of water.

The milk is heated first, then the cup, containing the coffee powder is filled with the hot milk..

I have never heard of that before! :D

Learn something new every day! And it sounds good too. I use a coffee maker though. I'm scared to pour milk in it and I really don't like instant coffee at all. In any event it sounds very good and maybe I'll find a way to do it. :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 01:01:01 am »
There certainly are a lot of different ways to make coffee, and I have been amazed at the difference between the countries.

I must admit, from watching so many American movies, that I always picture everyone in America having a pot of coffee sitting on the stove, continually heated, ready to pour. And most people I see in movies have it straight black straight out of that pot.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:42 am »
There certainly are a lot of different ways to make coffee, and I have been amazed at the difference between the countries.

I must admit, from watching so many American movies, that I always picture everyone in America having a pot of coffee sitting on the stove, continually heated, ready to pour. And most people I see in movies have it straight black straight out of that pot.

;D ;D

Yup!

Americans LOVE coffee. Well, at least they do in my part of the country. I generally drink 3 or 4 cups a day. Always straight out of the pot! No sugar. No cream. No nothing! lol

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:16 am »

Well, oddly enough, the term buttermilk has two meanings (I just looked it up). It can be applied to the residual liquid left after butter is churned (which, I guess, is why I expected buttermilk to taste like butter), or it's "cultured milk" made by adding "suitable bacteria" to sweet milk.

I can also remember my mother adding vinegar to milk to sour it for a recipe that called for buttermilk.

Offline ZK

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 03:55:58 am »
I used to have a white coffee, but when I started travelling to Asia I weaned myself off the milk and have it black sometimes with a couple of sugars. We have an expresso machine so its usually and dare I say it.... about 4 cups in the morning before work and one in the afternoon  ::)

I'm with you Sue, I think of an American kitchen and I see that pot of coffee sitting there

MMmmmm may be a business opportunity here?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
Coffee drinkers are rising up against the Tea Party in the U.S., so lately this poll has a different meaning!!

And me, I drink coffee, though I take it decaffeinated or "unleaded" as the mixed-metaphor crowd calls it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »
I pour so much cream into my coffee, that I like to think of it as "cream with coffee"

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2010, 05:45:28 pm »
No "coffee with milk...."  :o

No latte or café au lait or cappuchino, just coffee with milk, 7 parts coffee and 1 part milk. Yummi!!