Author Topic: The Tea Poll  (Read 15790 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The Tea Poll
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »
I remember seeing loose tea when I was a kid. And many people also had a teapot in their homes. In fact I think I remember my Mom having one.

So the tea is simply put in the pot with the water? There isn't some type of compartment inside the teapot for the tea leaves? That must be why the tea strainer is used. It's sounds a bit complicated Kerry. Almost like a ritual. But I will keep my eyes open for a teapot. I'm all for it if it makes the tea taste better.

I just had my two cups of black tea today. The first cup was this morning and I used 3 tea bags. I used 2 tea bags for the second cup. So that's five tea bags! I'm going to get those hulk immune cells in 2 weeks if I keep it up. I also take green tea pills (2 twice a day) so I may get them even before the 2 weeks are up! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 05:01:48 pm »
John's family harkens from West Virginia where they drink iced tea constantly.  I loathe iced tea, sweetened or otherwise.  I'll put up with hot tea or coffee, but I'd never think of making it myself.  There are Phil Beverage Rules - fruit juice or water before noon, soda, water or milk after noon, water at night.  If it's a diet soda, I'll drink it, excepting Tab which is revolting, and grape soda which should be unlawful.  I don't drink alcoholic beverages of any kind so that leaves that out.  I'm more of a hot chocolate person for a heated beverage, but not with hot milk, which usually makes me sick to my stomach for some reason. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 06:15:24 pm »
Here's a pic David, of some of the teapots I've collected over the years.

I dont use them, I just have them out on display.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
I remember seeing loose tea when I was a kid. And many people also had a teapot in their homes. In fact I think I remember my Mom having one.

So the tea is simply put in the pot with the water? There isn't some type of compartment inside the teapot for the tea leaves? That must be why the tea strainer is used. It's sounds a bit complicated Kerry. Almost like a ritual. But I will keep my eyes open for a teapot. I'm all for it if it makes the tea taste better.

I just had my two cups of black tea today. The first cup was this morning and I used 3 tea bags. I used 2 tea bags for the second cup. So that's five tea bags! I'm going to get those hulk immune cells in 2 weeks if I keep it up. I also take green tea pills (2 twice a day) so I may get them even before the 2 weeks are up! :)

There are teapots with such a compartment, David, eliminating the need for a strainer when pouring. However, I think they're quite a modern invention. One usually sees such internal infusers in modern, glass teapots. Certainly, traditional china teapots don't have them.

Get yourself a teapot and try it, David. I think you'll like it. Is there a Chinatown there in Indianapolis? If so, that's where you'll be able to get a very good, inexpensive, porcelain teapot. In my experience, they make an excellent "cuppa."   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 06:51:27 pm »

Oh, what a wonderful collection. I love teapots. They're such jolly little things. They make me smile. I especially love the one at the front, second from the left. My maternal grandmother (1869-1960) had one just like it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 07:04:52 pm »
Thank you Kerry. Yeah, I have a thing for odd tea pots, I have little ones sitting on my window sills around the house, each has its own story of where I got it from.

It is funny listening to David, about making a pot of tea. Something that we Aussies, just take for granted, cause we grew up with it.  Sadly though, a lot of Aussies  in their 20's and 30's probably have never made a pot of tea either.

Hey Kerry, remember the tea pot "cozy"?.....a little crocheted or knitted cover that fitted over the teapot to keep the contents hot.

Oh, and something else, I noticed in one of your posts. You mentioned boiling the water in a jug.  Im not sure if they have "jugs" over there in the US. I remember one time I mentioned "jug" to an American, and was asked if I meant "female breasts"........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
Thank you Kerry. Yeah, I have a thing for odd tea pots, I have little ones sitting on my window sills around the house, each has its own story of where I got it from.

It is funny listening to David, about making a pot of tea. Something that we Aussies, just take for granted, cause we grew up with it.  Sadly though, a lot of Aussies  in their 20's and 30's probably have never made a pot of tea either.

Hey Kerry, remember the tea pot "cozy"?.....a little crocheted or knitted cover that fitted over the teapot to keep the contents hot.

Oh, and something else, I noticed in one of your posts. You mentioned boiling the water in a jug.  Im not sure if they have "jugs" over there in the US. I remember one time I mentioned "jug" to an American, and was asked if I meant "female breasts"........

I haven't seen a teapot cozy in years, Sue. But I certainly remember them. Some of them were quite beautiful.   :D

Yikes! That's not what I meant at all (blush). What does an American call a milk jug?   ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »

Gosh. Tea and teapots seems to be a big subject. Such variety.  :)

I'm a tea junkie, and have several cups per day. Mostly Earl Grey, with milk and sugar.
Better than having too much coffee (which I also love) because tea has much less caffeine.
Chai tea is great, too; in essence form, in hot milk.
Don't get much opportunity to have the old Aussie billy tea, black with sugar and a gum leaf thrown in to add some zest.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 12:41:12 am »
There are teapots with such a compartment, David, eliminating the need for a strainer when pouring. However, I think they're quite a modern invention. One usually sees such internal infusers in modern, glass teapots. Certainly, traditional china teapots don't have them.

Get yourself a teapot and try it, David. I think you'll like it. Is there a Chinatown there in Indianapolis? If so, that's where you'll be able to get a very good, inexpensive, porcelain teapot. In my experience, they make an excellent "cuppa."   :D

Do we have a Chinatown here? You mean like in San Francisco? No, we don't have anything like that here. We really don't have ethnic neighborhoods here. There are many Asian people here but they don't have their own unique area, at least not that I'm aware of. We have a mall here in town called the Fashion Mall. It's up at Keystone at the Crossing, not far from my Dad's house. They would probably have those things for sale there. I will check the next time I'm in the area. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 08:08:36 am »

Sue, nice teapot collection, but who is that strange man hiding under the table?  Is that the tea fairy?