Author Topic: Of medical/surgical stuff and being out of commission for a while  (Read 5081 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I don't think I've posted here in a month or more.....   Anyway, 82 year old mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in early February, opted for a mastectomy, and is doing extremely well with virtually no chance of this mess coming back again.  Of course it was exhausting for both of us.
Fast forward to last week:  I became violently ill, got meds, saw doc, getting tests this week and seeing a surgeon because all signs point to a very bad gallbladder which will probably need to be removed.    *sigh*   Two surgeries in the fam within a few months of each other.   
In other news:  I went on a trip to Death Valley, got into the worst possible weather but had a good time anyway, went back to work teaching, also scoring assessment essays, subbing, and teaching workshops.  Oh, and selling lots of stuff on eBay.
That's the story for now.    Hope you folks are doing okay.   Just wanted to drop in and say hello, as I still am very much alive, though not entirely well. 
shortfiction
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Of medical/surgical stuff and being out of commission for a while
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:23 pm »
Hey shortfiction,
good to see you! Thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry to hear about your and your mom's health scares. Good thing though that she's doing well now. I hope you'll be going through your gallbladder surgery just as well, or better yet, that there'll be some way around it!
Thanks again for keeping us informed. Please continue to do so, as you can.
Sending positive thoughts along your way! :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »
Hi shortfiction!

Thanks for stopping by with the update.  I'm sorry to hear about all the health issues you and your Mom have been dealing with.  It's very encouraging news about your Mom's health and I'm sending along my best wishes regarding the gallbladder situation.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »
((((Shortfiction)))))

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum... but am so glad she is doing well now. And sorry to hear about your ill health. I dont know much about Gallbladders but I can imagine the pain!

Ebay rocks, I have to say I def buy more than I sell on it though which is not good for the funds!!

Looking forward to seeing some of your essay quotes soon!

:-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:28:00 pm »
Hello.

Best and positive thoughts for your mom and yep, gallbladder troubles are literally a pain, but if it has to come out, just consider it easy weight loss.  ;D Ask the surgeon to keep some gallstones for you - you make your own rocks!!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:36:14 pm »
Hello.

Best and positive thoughts for your mom and yep, gallbladder troubles are literally a pain, but if it has to come out, just consider it easy weight loss.  ;D Ask the surgeon to keep some gallstones for you - you make your own rocks!!

:laugh:          Yeah....cholesterol-based!!

I actually feel pretty good today for the first time in days.  Made it through the ultrasound with no problem.   

Kelda:   The g.b. is a non vital organ but it is a g--d--- b----  of an unsatisfactory situation when swollen and stone-y. 
I'm going to quit it very soon.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:51 am »
I don't think I've posted here in a month or more.....   Anyway, 82 year old mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in early February, opted for a mastectomy, and is doing extremely well with virtually no chance of this mess coming back again.  Of course it was exhausting for both of us.
Fast forward to last week:  I became violently ill, got meds, saw doc, getting tests this week and seeing a surgeon because all signs point to a very bad gallbladder which will probably need to be removed.    *sigh*   Two surgeries in the fam within a few months of each other.   
In other news:  I went on a trip to Death Valley, got into the worst possible weather but had a good time anyway, went back to work teaching, also scoring assessment essays, subbing, and teaching workshops.  Oh, and selling lots of stuff on eBay.
That's the story for now.    Hope you folks are doing okay.   Just wanted to drop in and say hello, as I still am very much alive, though not entirely well. 
shortfiction

I hope it all goes well for you, SF, and you have a speedy recovery.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »
Hi   I'm back!
Had it out yesterday and came out today.  the hospital bed was very uncomfortable and the whole place was noisy so I am glad to be home.   I eat low fat stuff for now.  I've got 3 stapled incisions but they don't hurt as much now as they did earlier. 
It turns out that the g.b was inflamed and infected with large stones, so it really needed to come out, and not a moment too soon.   
 Hope you folks are doing well.
sf

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »
Hi   I'm back!
Had it out yesterday and came out today.  the hospital bed was very uncomfortable and the whole place was noisy so I am glad to be home.   I eat low fat stuff for now.  I've got 3 stapled incisions but they don't hurt as much now as they did earlier. 
It turns out that the g.b was inflamed and infected with large stones, so it really needed to come out, and not a moment too soon.   
 Hope you folks are doing well.
sf

I'm so glad you came out of it well!  Yeah, you don't want to wait on gallbladder troubles.  I had mine out 3 days after it first starting giving me trouble.  My doc told me the loss of my gallbladder wouldn't make much of a difference in my digestion and he was right.  I still eat low fat and extremely fatty foods with no problems.  Guess everyone reacts differently.

Happy to read that you're back.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
Hi shortfiction!

Good to hear from you. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. I'm glad everything went well. Now take good care of yourself, take things slow and give your body the time it needs for recovery.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »
Get Well Soon shortfiction!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 09:16:37 pm »
Thanks, all.    I am bruised and itchy and lost two external staples (not a problem), but healing.   
Back to work next week but no heavy lifting or workouts for a while.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
Take care SF!